View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Dude, you're a total maniac, I love it!

Jim
Thanks! This maniacal way of working has developed over many years, perhaps I have a slight touch of autism, which keeps me chipping away at seemingly insurmountable tasks where other more normal minds would long since have packed it in... Basic instincts might come into play here too, keep shaking the tree and the fruits are going to fall!

Quote:

A couple tips:

- Consider recording MIDI clips of the stuff you really like (as well as audio, of course). Someday you might have something really interesting to pop those clips into....

Jim
Point taken! I think though as I keep all my project versions safe with two backups I'll be able to return to things in the future. But recording things to listen back to has been something I'm doing all along. So as long as I have a project date and a sound file date the match I'm pretty good at finding things of interest. The great thing here too is that I have all the Sound generators that I've used the last few years so I should be able to reacreate things that I created. Note to myself.. send the patch settings used on external gear into the computer and store with the project..

Quote:
- When multi-threaded rendering finally happens, the spit will be by stack, so if you put several heavy synths in a single stack, they'll end up on the same render thread as well.
Right now I've broken my Sound stacks up so they contain 3 mostly monophonic synths each. I imagine my next Mac should handle that load per processor . I think for big chords ala Brahms I'd use a sampled instrument.

Quote:
- As a possible work-around for your CPU load issues, consider splitting the heaviest synth or two into a separate project and run 2 copies of Numerology (via Terminal.app). Or, put them in Logic, etc... (that obviously makes modulation more work though...).

Jim
Good adivce although these techniques would likely give me more mileage with a more powerful computer which even still will have it's limits, by all accounts my taste in Sound Generators is very CPU heavy. Though I'm unrepentant and will use them. Afterall this waiting for the right CPU has spurred alot of creative thought and as you will see has resulted in my discovering solutions that not only solve my CPU limit issues but also open up sofisticated new ways to work with timed modulations and so on. See my thread on CPU management under Tips and Tricks.. The idea of using Logic is not somthing that I relish, as the increased complication of the working enviroment will only delay me further in my goals of making my workflow swift and effective. It's mostly about the adaptive energy that gets spent learning new interfaces, or even that pause in the mental state that happens when you flip to another window. With my setup as it is now I can basically keep in stack view for everything I do Love it! I am thinking of getting Main Stage for hosting my Synths on the new computer setup. I just know from experience at present this Computer is so old that it can't really be saved by these work arounds..

Quote:

Have noted .... keyboard control definitely needs some attention...

Cheers,
Jim
Yes keyboard control/shortcuts are a quick way to access menus, popups and windows in many programs that once learned save time and make the user experience more speedy and flowing.. Though the launchpad can do alot in that area already. Especially stack to navigation. also Preset firing is well implemented.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 07-21-2012 at 12:43 AM.