Numerology Store    Download  Techniques    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Talking Numerology for ipad3

Hey Jim,

I know you've been asked this for a few times, but
as I'm moving more and more away from the laptop for music, numerology on ios would rock my ship.
Don't waste your time doing some controller app for numerology, there is concrete performer and the lemur thing
You can do it, maybe start a poll to see if there would be enough interest in a port to ios?
Pretty please
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM

i personally don't find touching glass all day long to be that enticing. so, i'm very happy to keep using numerology on the computer so i can use all my virtual instruments + have all the midi i/o for hardware synths/drum machines. perhaps if the next ipad has USB port and motu etc make a driver for low latency multi port midi i/o but i think the ipad is still not up to snuff as a 'do everything' box. i think using one as a controller could be fun but the lack of pressure sensitivity holds it back.

the quneo thing looks rad though.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nd-usb-pad-con
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM

I'm talking about ipad3.
Velocity isn't that hard to do, if u press the glass surface harder more pixels are covered by your finger
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala View Post
I'm talking about ipad3.
Velocity isn't that hard to do, if u press the glass surface harder more pixels are covered by your finger
yes.. sort of works that way but won't feel the same. not dissing the ipad. i'd love one for a controller to mess with but i find that the feel of touching glass and pressing on it for long periods of time is just generally and unsatisfying experience.. like trying to play a pad controller mpc style on the ipad.. no fun.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
yes.. sort of works that way but won't feel the same. not dissing the ipad. i'd love one for a controller to mess with but i find that the feel of touching glass and pressing on it for long periods of time is just generally and unsatisfying experience.. like trying to play a pad controller mpc style on the ipad.. no fun.
I'm not sure what u r trying to say. there is no mpc style pad thing in numerology or did something like this come with version 3?
(I dont need to play pads, I play sequencers )
are you saying you prefer mousing around in numerology, instead of just touching whatever with 10 fingers

Imagine messing with the drumsequencer( with ten fingers, makes me drool) the drum sampler, the matrix thing and the chord sequencer with the sampler and whatever cryptic modulation u like, change the gate time by tilting the iPad, ad a little monosequence ad a little delay and feedback and it would keep me busy forever, directly on the screen no need for an extra laptop or stupid midicontroler, no need to wait for the laptop to boot, would take me to geek heaven.
I'm not worried about CPU-cycles either, quadcore ipad3 this spring and after that who knows ...
btw. The iPad has an usbport, it's called camera connection kit, and there are lots of midi things that plug into the iPad now
Low latency midi driver, lol, it's core midi the same as on osX! No need for a driver ...

Last edited by lala; 01-04-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 AM

i use a lot the Lp to control the Numerology sequencer but sometimes i've found useful use the knobs in my BCR2000,... said this i've tried to create a simple touchosc interface for my iPod with 8 slider to control an 8 step sequencer , all work almost well but i still prefer use the LP or the BCR to control a sequencer, anyway the iPad/iPod can be really useful to control other things as the envelope generator , the signal processor and so on ..

only my 2 cents

diego
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 AM

I find myself more cleaning the glass than actually use it... :-)
Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 AM

I'm following the iPad talk but not commenting much because I'll be investing in more powerful setup the next 1 1/2 years because I use CPU synths like the AAS stuff, ACE and Bazille. That means I'm looking at a serious outlay in cash. So no iPad for me.

I can see the iPad idea as a future poratable solution, and as a kaos pad type controller/effects type controller.

I wouldn't want ot work on my 12 sequence setup in any great detail with the iPad.

I wouldn't want to design and build my big device's with hundreds or even thousands of modules with an iPad.

AfterTouch sensitivity on the Maschine's large pads is a revelanion for drum programming.

The Launchpads always ready always on robust and light is an unbeatable controller available now for use with Numerology and can be had at a laughably low price for what it does.

An normal nicely weighted keyboard is great for live playing, with mod wheels pitch bend and realtime controls.

A cheap novation nocturn is a great hands on controller for effects control.

Microphones can be used for vocoding, and envelope generation to control sounds and effects.

The iPad is an addition to all these things many of us already own. It can't really place even one of them, it can supplement, it can be a portable editor and playback device. But it is a very small windown into a very large world.

Develop the iPads controll possiblities, but don't make a stand alone Numerology App, perhaps a partnership with an APP developer to share intellectual rights and develop a related App but not an attempt to miniaturize the program to fit the iPad. A whole new concept that uses elements of the Numerology concept could be a possible scenario. I don't need portable I need powerful. In a concert situation, the PA and a performance keyboard makes the idea of portability sort out of touch with reality. What difference in wieght pecentage wise is another box of minis and a screen or a laptop or two going make in total setup weight. No the iPad can't stand alone on it's own for performances, It's a mobile editor and personal playback device, until you pair it with a PA.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-06-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM

I've messed around with the app air display which lets you use the ipad as a second touch screen monitor and while it's nice for some things Numerology is really setup to be used with a mouse/trackpad and keyboard. I don't think using a touch screen will ever be as fast for creating setups with the interface paradigm Numerology uses. (And I'd like more keyboard shortcuts anyway ) Although you can use a keyboard with the ipad now....

I think a module that riffs on Audiomulch's metasurface (not necessarily a preset morpher, just suited to touchscreens) could be pretty cool.

Anyway, I have a feeling that Apple will eventually consolidate its product lines? Hopefully that means a more open ipad device rather than a more locked down OSX!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post

I think a module that riffs on Audiomulch's metasurface (not necessarily a preset morpher, just suited to touchscreens) could be pretty cool.

+1 on this, in another post i was discussed with Jim about some form of knobs movement recording a la korg-ER-1
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it