Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Default second audio output

Hi,
Is there any way to get a second audio output on Numerology 3? I connected an USB-Audio-Interface that is recognized by MacOS. That would be so useful for monitoring the outputs of the different stacks. What is this alternative output for, that's located in the Audio Busses Section?
thanks from frosty Luxembourg, Gaston
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthiesgast View Post
Hi,
Is there any way to get a second audio output on Numerology 3? I connected an USB-Audio-Interface that is recognized by MacOS. That would be so useful for monitoring the outputs of the different stacks. What is this alternative output for, that's located in the Audio Busses Section?
thanks from frosty Luxembourg, Gaston
I could read this in two ways -- one is that you want to use 2 audio interfaces at the same time, or that you have an audio interface w/ multiple outs. I'll answer both:

If you want to use a 2nd audio interface with Numerology (in addition to the main one), you pretty much have to use Audio/MIDI setup to create an "aggregate device" -- but those are rather touchy. In particular, the aggregate device will sometimes "lose clock" and get glitchy. I have found that just enabling/disabling 'resample clock' (in the aggregate device settings) will get it going again.

An alternative is to use a host program that directly supports multiple interfaces itself, then run N3 ReWired, or output via Soundflower, or as a plugin, etc... FYI: It is *very tricky* for any app to manage multiple audio interfaces, as each will have slightly different clock speeds, so regardless of the host, you're best off using a single audio interface.

OTOH: If you are using an audio interface w/ multiple outputs, there are at least two ways to setup an "alternate output". One is by setting the output pair on the "Alt" part of the master channel, the other is by using an AudioOut module.

Cheers,
Jim

Tags
audio out, cueing, monitor out