Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 AM

Default Humanize control - is it being recorded?

Hey Jim
was messing around with one particular bouncy kick drum pattern that features a recurring divide on one hit (the recurrence modulation-driven).
The same sequencer also has a healthy dose of the humanize control, which in certain instances will cause the divide to glitch in an interesting way (cool!).
However if I port that same midi clip into Ableton and use the same Reaktor Polyplex + Valhalla FreqEcho combo I realize that something is missing, it doesn't sound as bouncy and musical.

So the question is - does the effect of the Humanize control end up in the recorded midi clip?

Cheers

Paul
Old 01-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Bump, because [...]

Paul
Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Administrator

[quote=Uncle GroOve;15047]Bump, because [...]

Because I need it!! :

So, the humanize mods to the pattern will indeed be recorded, However, if your preset length is set to 4 beats (the default), only 4 beats are recorded -- not leaving much room for the humanize to be noticed. Try bumping the preset length up to 64 beats or longer. And keep in mind that you'll have to wait at least 64 beats to get a clean recording of it...

... and, btw, I'm totally stoked that you found such an interesting way to use humanize!!!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 AM

Yo Jim - thank you for contribution!

Can you take "no" as an answer?

There seems to be something else going on - and don't take it away because it sounds good
I've enclosed the screenshot of that sequence. It's very basic as you can see.
I'm just triggering one instance of a Reaktor instrument called Polyplex, and then again only the kick drum (a specific combo, super secret sauce kinda thing).

Depending on how I set Gate and Humanize I get 2-3 different types of flams (which is by definition 2 hits in an almost simultaneous execution) - despite the fact that Divide is set to...12.
Anything below, I'll get a "buzz" kind of roll, anything above 12 gets me that special flam, independently from the sequence's length (but maybe I misunderstood you).

BTW I tried recording the output to Logic and eyeballing the resulting piano roll.
Nothing to see here, move on sir - the roll clearly shows that cluster of note ons, 12 of them all bunched together. So might it be Reaktor? No 'cos I remember hearing that special thing in my first experiments w/N4 pushing Cromaphone.
Maybe a glitch that happens only on certain patches/instruments?

Bottom line(s) -
1) there's some kinda magic going on and it's bugging me 'cause I can't replicate it in Ableton
2) it means I have to integrate the two with ReWire - something else I have never really learned
3) it possibly introduces timing and sync issues as I need to integrate my Monome (see separate post)

Cheers!

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 07.03.43.png (67.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Interesting... Based on your writeup (thanks!), it does seem like you're getting a favorable glitch of some sort. Humanize affects both timing and velocity by warping both in a semi-cyclic manner -- but just small amount. With higher gate divide values, it may be the case that what you're hearing is dependent on how Reaktor is reading the incoming MIDI events.

Jim

Tags
ableton, humanize control, midi clip