Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 PM

Default Glitch sequencing with an LFO

I just uploaded a short proof-of-concept video showing a dead simple stack I put together for glitch sequencing. Nothing particularly innovative here, just lazy-tooling some sounds and thought I'd share it. Here's a link and the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8KS6_k7hcc

Just a short proof-of-concept video, driving a mono note sequencer with an LFO in Numerology. I watched a Mr. Bill video where he was creating glitch sequences in Live and it involved a lot of manual labor so I wanted to see if I could automate the process in Numerology (answer: yes, faster and more flexibly). Since I couldn't figure out how to target the variable current step-note I'm just targeting the first note of the mono note (works fine but isn't pretty).

A FaderBox is mapped to the LFO, mono note and a signal processor to allow quick control of Step Rate (LFO speed), Note Rate (mono note rate), Note Range (LFO depth), Note Shift (Signal Processor offset), Note Slew, Gate Length, Wave Shape and Velocity...

The MonoNote is plugged into a Battery template I made that's just 128 empty cells, which I dumped a folder of glitch samples onto. You could drive anything you want though.

I duplicated the stack to drive an instance of StutterEdit (just for fsu sng) which is processing the output of Battery.

Again this is just a loose proof-of-concept, but it's got a lot of potential as a generative engine, especially useful if you're too lazy to mash the keyboard like me.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 AM

do you mind sharing your project file? This would give me enourmos insight in the workflow of numerology as what you accomplished sounds great...
regards

oliver
Old 10-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Numerologist

Hello,

Please have a look to the picture, the Index is what you are searching for,
you can select the step were the modulation should work.
With the demonstrated Index 2, the second step of the MonoNote is modulated.
What the index modulates depents on the destination were the paramos of the LFO points, the same with the ParaMod module.

hope this helps
jue
Attached Images
File Type: png Index.png (55.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-15-2015, 12:32 PM

Another way to have ever-evolving glitches is to use synths instead of samplers. Combined it with Numerology and boom, instant Richard Devine ^^
Old 10-15-2015, 12:44 PM

yeah, Richard.....
I will take a deep look in your hints...
thank you for that.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM

TBH I'm much, much much more into another Richard's music hehe

But I think you got my point. A Mono/PolyNote, an LFO, a FaderBox, some ParamMod modules and the right synth (U-He Bazille or any wavetable / granular synth for example) can go a long, long way.

Ages and ages ago, I remember getting some insane, Drukqs-ish results with Reason's Malstrom combined with a very rudimentary Num stack.

Another way to do that: program a groovy beat pattern, send most hits (I'd say everything but the kick(s) and snare(s)) through a filter plugin (or several instances with different settings) like Cytomic's Drop, and use Num to control the filter parameter(s): endless variations / minimum hassle. The shorter the hits, the more you'll rely on the filter's sound-print. I used that process years and years ago on a track of mine, works quite well I think.

Last edited by nil; 10-15-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 PM

I guess your exploration phase already took a whole more time than mine...
But that is what we are here for, to explore and conquer....
and all for the intrinsic purpose
regards to all the Richards out there..
With your creative input I was able to give stutter edit a valid purpose
almost random notes fired by Num...
Old 10-18-2015, 01:24 AM

Sorry for the late reply, been stacked
Here's the project from the clip:
http://aomeshirei.com/forums/five12/lfo-seq.nmp

I stripped the Battery and StutterEdit instances out of there to avoid the missing file/plug prompts for anyone who wants to check it.

Cheers

Last edited by nreeves; 09-02-2017 at 09:02 AM.