Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetronic View Post
I'm piping up for multi-core support
That's still in the list...

Jim
Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 AM

I hardly used numerology in stand-alone mode. But now I have a launchpad, I'm trying to make a complete live set in Numerology, I've come into trouble with only a few vst's needed to bridge between program changes for my hardware.
But I find that the cpu is maxing out really fast.
Is there no multiple core support yet ?
Should I use rewire to spread the load ?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Administrator

[quote=Sifaka;15413]I hardly used numerology in stand-alone mode. But now I have a launchpad, I'm trying to make a complete live set in Numerology, I've come into trouble with only a few vst's needed to bridge between program changes for my hardware.
But I find that the cpu is maxing out really fast.
Is there no multiple core support yet ?
[quote=Sifaka;15413]Should I use rewire to spread the load ?

Not yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifaka View Post
Should I use rewire to spread the load ?
That's certainly an option -- but keep in mind that the N4 ReWire driver is single threaded as well -- host the 'heavy' plugins in other channels. If you don't need the other host to be sync'd, then you can just run it for hosting and mixing and send MIDI over to those instruments.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-18-2016, 06:11 AM

Thanks, hoping for multicore support, but in the mean time, I've set it up as rewire slave to Ableton, and moved all dynamics/fx plugins from Numerology to Ableton. The difference is day and night, plus I have the ability to resample and use more audiotracks if needed.
And a better mixer with more accurate levels.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
It's always good to pipe-up about it --
+ 1 here! :-)
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 06-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
+ 1 here! :-)
I hear you -- it is still near the top of the list among things that I have publicly mentioned. I can also say that it has gotten tied to some other internal changes that are not ready to be mentioned or released yet. -- I know that's a pretty vague response, just want you folks to know I haven't forgotten about it!

Jim
Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 AM

Wink

Quote:
I hear you -- it is still near the top of the list among things that I have publicly mentioned. I can also say that it has gotten tied to some other internal changes that are not ready to be mentioned or released yet. -- I know that's a pretty vague response, just want you folks to know I haven't forgotten about it!

Jim

From December 2009:
Quote:
On the thread front, although Numerology uses several threads internally, only one is used for rendering. Multi-threaded rendering is tricky to do efficiently, especially in something like Numerology, where you can have modules communicating with each other across stacks, so I have not attempted it yet. However, supporting multi-threaded rendering will probably happen within the next year (i.e. one of the N3 releases).
Tricky like in modular systems? (i.e. Mulab, Bidule, Radium, Jeskola Buzz, Buze Tracker or semi-modular stuff like Tracktion?) Not an argument, they all now have it already, some of them for years now... Even the dead abandonware Energy XT implemented it in the 3.0 beta over a year ago. And this thing is absolute dead in the water development wise since more than two years...

From March 2015:
Quote:
Multicore support will be the next big thing after MIDI Import, but both are being held up a bit by some 'back end' stuff that is both difficult and necessary…

Jim
Midi Import is there now since quite a while. Good. Also took quite a while did't it. But at least we're there now...

From July 2015
Quote:
jim
There's no built-in multi-threading yet, but it is on the list for 4.1. There have been several tweaks I've made to the internals in 4.0 that are part of the implementation, so there is progress in that direction already even though you can't see it yet. It's always good to pipe-up about it -- keeps me motivated!

Cheers,
Jim
Well, that didn't play out, didn't it...?

From August 2015:
Quote:
Not yet, but one of the 'big back end' things is almost done, so that helps…

Cheers,
Jim
Well.. Also didn't play out too well, didn't it?

Looks like "top of the list" means years of time to implement.
We're all screwed...lol... sooo... Quit stalling...
Old 06-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Well, it's not like I'm the only one in New Mexico that is late with a big project. But seriously, I completely understand the frustration -- I have a fair bit of it myself-- with that item, and quite a few others. Often there's a cause of delay I can mention -- an API in OS X breaks, and I have to stop everything for a couple weeks and deal with that. Or my sales and copy protection provider stops supporting their project, so I have to roll my own. Also there are many things I can't mention. Features that are not ready to be announced, some features end up depending on other features in unexpected ways, etc. etc. So yes, I do often have to put up rather vague answers as to when something is coming, doesn't mean it isn't important...

Best,
Jim
Old 06-29-2016, 03:12 PM

You'll get there Jim, maybe don't mention any future plans in forumposts from now on. Know a few developers who don't do any future predictions because of this.

But to get back on topic.
Could it be possible to load another instance of Numerology standalone, that uses another core ? Would be a great alternative.
Even if it's without sync, it would be a good solution for a live performance.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:25 AM

Can't remember exactly how but yes it's possible, I've done it before with Num. Just sync the several instances with MTC and it'll all be fine.
You just need to find the Terminal command to launch apps. Et voilà.