Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM

Default Monomachine + Numerology + Little Phatty workflow

I like to create patterns in Numerology, record those patterns into the Monomachine (MM) sequencer, and then turn my computer off and play live, etc. (I hope that doesn't sound to sacrilegious.) Currently I can connect the MM to my Motu MicroLite (five MIDI i/o) and can accomplish this with no difficulty. However, I also would like to sequence a Little Phatty (has MIDI i/o, no thru) and slave a MIDI MuRF (has MIDI in only). My workflow involves creating patterns in Numerology, then playing them back as I record the MIDI data live to the MM MIDI sequencer. Right now doing that requires disconnecting and connecting various MIDI cables. I think I've a found a solution-- using a MIDI thru box that adds 4 outputs from one MIDI input, as well as another box that merges two incoming MIDI inputs and makes them 1 out. A company called MIDI Solutions makes these solutions, but it sounds like they'll need an additional power supply (normally they can be powered by the MIDI din cabling alone, but note on their site that the MM and Little Phatty are known not to provide adequate power needed).

Obviously, this is getting rather complicated pretty quickly. I feel like I may be going about this the wrong way as well. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing, or any ideas. Thanks much.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Check the manual for the micro-lite -- it may have a mode where it can do some MIDI merging or splitting -- the older MOTU midi boxes definitely can, and many are programmable -- I have a micro express that is. OTOH, it will
also need power...

Best,
Jim
Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. The Micro Express and Express look wonderful. Unfortunately, the Micro Lite hasn't MIDI merge functionality and other additional features that the Expresses do. I double-checked the manual to confirm, though I still hope I'm wrong on that.

I went ahead a got a Kenton MIDI thru box. Price is right and it doesn't need a computer for power or configuration. It also comes with its own power adapter. I think this is all I need for a live setup. In the studio, with Numerology and the computer on, I can craft patterns, record them into the MonoMachine sequencer, after which I can control the MM internal sounds or copy and paste to the MIDI sequencer and output to the Little Phatty. At least, I think this is how it will all work. I should get the Kenton in a week or so, and will have a better idea then.

Thanks again for you reply.