Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Default Retina Macbook pro anyone?

Gawd I've been off in photoland, optimizing buying making images, new camera a new lense, travel to Prague, Vienna, my usual spring work load pilling up, long lists to do...

Then like a theif in the night the new Macbook Retina 2.6 Ghz 512 SSD version appears caught in the limelight a scared robot waiting to be loved or banished in a wave newthing rebellion, too much! too little! too expensive! all kinds of wrong yet everythings sits right, and me way overblowed on my recent photo buying spree, just want the thing and want it bad.

I'm lining up finances (sigh) It's gong to be my main machine, combined with an old iMac and perhaps a new mac mini in a year the three computers will be my super mac modular setup to sit out the 2000 teens.

After 2020 if there is anything left after 8 years of depression, perhaps I'll just go on a walk about with an electronic music maker anno 2020 in armband the interface will be a direct link between the brain and computers in the cloud , with this and a good pair of shoes, a gold card in my back pocket I'll hit the road. A camera?,,- in your glasses, speakers=? a direct auditory nerve link for the user and his audience, microphone?,,- omidirectional mounted in your bellybutton.

Who want's or needs this Retina Macbook?

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 06-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 AM

Some food for thought:

http://m.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/06...tories+2%29%29

"The Retina MacBook is the least repairable laptop we’ve ever taken apart: Unlike the previous model, the display is fused to the glass, which means replacing the LCD requires buying an expensive display assembly. The RAM is now soldered to the logic board — making future memory upgrades impossible. And the battery is glued to the case, requiring customers to mail their laptop to Apple every so often for a $200 replacement. The design may well be comprised of “highly recyclable aluminum and glass” — but my friends in the electronics recycling industry tell me they have no way of recycling aluminum that has glass glued to it like Apple did with both this machine and the recent iPad."

By contrast, the non retina Macbook Pro features easily replaceable/upgradable battery, hard drive, RAM optical drive etc.

I know where my money is in terms of which would last me longer...
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm still looking at the options.

I'm interested in the longer battery life and the 512 Gb SSD.

Don't like the non self upgradablility of the SSD or the Ram, I would got for the 16 Gb at purchase.

I'm interested in the Retina display for photography.

Two Thunderbolt ports could enable using the computer linked to another mac mini to achieve more voices available in an intergrated enviroment where higher voice counts on the the CPU intensive plugs that I use would be possible.

I like the lighter weight for travel and photography where I might end up lugging the thing around over many kilometers.

The speed of the 2.6 ghz turns my invisble corner in regards to usabiliity for big projects.

I have so much invested in external controllers, cameras, lenses, harddisks and software that the total cost of the system doesn't get that many percentage points more expensive even with the 2.6 Ghz model upgraded to 16 Gb ram.

Because my setup is both audio and photography based I don't upgrade as often perhaps every element every 3.5 to 5 years. Though I still have gear that's useable for some functions that is 20 years old! (lenses and midi pad controllers interfaces)

I often don't mind getting in on deals for last years tech, my newly acquired camera was realeased 17 months ago. I bought a couple of 35 year old lenses in December. So this leaves room in the budget for the occasion early adopter purchase.

I dont want to wait too long to get all the bit's and pieces to work optimally. Time is of the essence. I've been waiting for the small form factor on offer here for a couple of years.. I had wanted to get this all working using Mac mini's but they aren't all that portable as you still need a external monitor. One Mac book pro retina, linked to a Mac mini with a small audio interface and a couple of usb 3 SSD sticks, highend headphones and your packing a lot of power, put it in a bombproof pelican case carry on. The launchpad, a 21 note keyboard and the Machine might fit in there too..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 06-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Thanks for letting us know about the lack of recyclability.

I've been in the pretty fortunate position of needing to choose between the standard MBP line (as souped up as I need) and a new R-MBP. I've weighed all the other factors and already decided to get the retina version. But it was a close call.

In no particular order:
Pros: great display, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB Flash Storage (SSD), light, improved speakers, improved fan design
Cons: Lacks FireWire/audio input/superdrive (requiring more external stuff), not easily serviceable, not recyclable, fragile?

Ultimately, I realized that getting a comparable standard MBP would cost about the same, and some of the pros above won out. It wasn't a black & white decision.

I think a very strong argument could be made for the other route, and it would be right.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM

What sells me on the Retina is the display the SSD as standard, the lighter weight and the longer battery life. The two thunderbolt ports will be really great as well. A standard firewire cable adapter for my two external ICY Dock drives. Then I can use the Thunderbolt nr 2 for either hooking up to another mac as in the Vienna Pro with ehternet solution or to a UAD external DSP box for extra mixing power.. Interesting times..

The best thing will be having a decent display for doing a lot of editing on photos, reading texts, books and studying other peoples images..

It's going to be a pay as you go solution though for me as I've a need for ready cash buffer so I'll pay it back over 3 or four years...

Wade
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Are there Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters on the market yet?

Last I checked Belkin was definitely making one, but no idea on release date, price etc etc.

AFAIK, that hasn't changed... so you might want to consider that? But will be coming to market soon enough I'm sure. It's good that someone at least had the foresight to consider that some folks would still have a need for Firewire.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Apple showed a TB-FW adapter (and a TB-Ethernet adapter) at their WWDC keynote.

The ethernet one is available now, the FW one hasn't hit stores (or the apple store yet).
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
What sells me on the Retina is the display the SSD as standard, the lighter weight and the longer battery life. The two thunderbolt ports will be really great as well. A standard firewire cable adapter for my two external ICY Dock drives. Then I can use the Thunderbolt nr 2 for either hooking up to another mac as in the Vienna Pro with ehternet solution or to a UAD external DSP box for extra mixing power.. Interesting times..

The best thing will be having a decent display for doing a lot of editing on photos, reading texts, books and studying other peoples images..

It's going to be a pay as you go solution though for me as I've a need for ready cash buffer so I'll pay it back over 3 or four years...

Wade
Not that it's my business, but since you brought it up--I'm always reluctant to go into debt for music gear. I see it a lot on Internet boards when people talk about gear and I worry. So there, I said it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Not that it's my business, but since you brought it up--I'm always reluctant to go into debt for music gear. I see it a lot on Internet boards when people talk about gear and I worry. So there, I said it.
I'm thinking hard about all this for sure! I've decided to definitely build a bit of a buffer in my finances before I jump in. I took my first loan for music gear (a upright piano) back when I was 16 and paid 44 bucks a month for some years, so I've got a fairly long history of borrowing and paying it back again. I've mostly bought all my gear these last 4 years perhaps a couple of a MBP's value. This computer upgrade will perhaps be held off a few months while I get a better grip on my economics and perhaps hear any first users experiences with the new MBP Retina..

But thanks for your concern, I've actually said the same thing repeatedly since the start of all this misery in the financial world, but for me at least I feel if I don't get the setup of my dreams soon it may not be relevant anymore. Facing my own mortality (getting too old for waiting it out) Death without some sort of creative resolution is worse than debt in my view..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 06-26-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Gawd I've been off in photoland, optimizing buying making images, new camera a new lense
What did you get?

Jim