Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 AM

Default iPad Air, Lemur, L'Pad v2 & N4

I'm trying to get L'Pad v2 to control N4, but I'm running into problems, and wondered whether anybody who's succeeded in doing this could offer any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong...

Communication between the Mac & Lemur is OK (I can send stuff back & forth between Lemur on the iPad and the Lemur Editor on the Mac). I've told N4 that it has a Launchpad controller, and selected the appropriate MIDI in & out on the Lemur daemon.

The behaviour that I'm seeing is that when N4 starts up & loads a project L'Pad is placed into Rack Navigation mode (the User button is illuminated), and the appropriate grid buttons that correspond to sequencers in the stacks are illuminated. That's all fine. However, the problem that I have is that pushing any of the buttons on the L'Pad interface has no effect whatsoever - it's as if no controller data is being transmitted to N4, or it is, and is being ignored.

Can anybody shed any light on what I might be missing?

Thanks very much,
Tony
Old 12-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Make sure you have a Launchpad controller setup properly in N4's Controller Setup dialog -- you need to set both the MIDI Input and Output. Use the MIDI Monitor from snoize.com to verify communication.

However, I think an issue you will run into is that Numerology uses the Launchpad's "compressed" MIDI data format when updating the full grid. With that setup, the entire grid is updated using half the normal number of MIDI Note messages -- which makes the Launchpad much more responsive. I'm pretty sure the Lemur launchpad emulator will not be able to handle those messages properly. Look for a Push emulation if you can find one -- the Push has a much simpler MIDI API.

Jim
Old 12-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks, Jim.

I have set both input & output ports in the N4 setup dialog, so that's not the issue. I'll grab the MIDI Monitor & see what that shows, but I suspect that you're right about the compressed format being the problem.

Tony
Old 12-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Looks like there's at least one Push emulator for Lemur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEzBc1YB8Y
Old 12-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Thanks again, Jim - I'll check it out.

Tony