Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Numerology 3 News

Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Default N3 Pro Prelim Doc : Evolve

Evolve is a feature that allows you to make directed, semi-randomized changes to a sequence. These changes are made via a series of simple transformations, such as swapping the pitch values of two steps (chosen at random), or by picking one step (at random) and modifying it in some way.

These transformations are grouped into one of three dimensions: X, Y and Z. You can customize what transformations are allowed within each dimension as well as the probability of each happening. This gives you fine-grained control over what transformations will happen, while preserving a useful amount of randomness.

You can then trigger each "evolution dimension" manually via buttons on the sequencing modules that support Evolve, or automatically, either through the "auto evolve" feature, of via Numerology's ParamMod feature.

Numerology 3 supports Evolve for all the Note Sequencer modules: The MonoNote, PolyNote, Chord Seq, Drum Seq and Matrix Seq. Each sequencer starts out with a default set of transformations, grouped into each of the three dimensions. For most sequencers, the default organization is to have pitch transformations on the X dimension, gate and timing transformations on the Y dimension, and velocity transformations on the Z dimension.

To edit evolve settings for a sequencer, click on the "E" button in the evolve section. This will bring up a non-modal dialog where you can change which transformations apply for each dimension. Each dimension can have up to 8 transformations specified, and for each transformation, you can pick the probability of that transformation happening when the dimension is evolved. For instance, if you enter "100", then that transformation will be applied every time that dimension is evolved. If you enter "25" then that tranformation will be applied on average one of every four times that dimension is evolved.

Auto Evolve : The Easy Way

To enable automatic evolution of the sequence, click the "auto" button in the Evolve section. This will evolve each dimension once at the end of each bar. You can change the auto evolve settings for each dimension in the Evolve Edit dialog, using the menu at the bottom of each evolve dimension's section. Options include 1-8 beats and 1-8 bars.

Auto Evolve : Via Param Mod

You can also trigger evolve via parameter modulation. The advantage to this is that you can get greater flexibility over when evolve happens, and you can trigger multiple evolution steps at once. Each evolve dimension (X, Y & Z) appears as a parameter whose value can be set like any other parameter, but instead of setting a value, it triggers an event. When you set an evolve parameter to 0 it 'primes' the evolve dimension. When you send a value between 1 and 8, if evolved has been primed, it will run the evolve operation that many times.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Love the Evolve feature!

Is there any reason in particular why Evolve is not supported for the CV sequencer modules? Did you just not get around to it yet? Even if there would just be a single dimension "X" available for evolution, that would still be quite useful imho (especially when using a 'discrete sequencing' setup, one would end up with at least 3 dimensions in total again anyway).

Btw, having a little "E" icon both for "Edit" (module run mode settings) on the left side and for "Evolve" on the right side may be slightly confusing (i.e. telling someone to "click on the small 'E' icon" is not clear enough anymore). Maybe consider changing one of them to a different letter? (and sacrifice some disk space for yet another icon image ;P) Or maybe a symbol, perhaps a bit similar to TimeMachine's menu bar icon, but with the arrow clockwise?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Is there any reason in particular why Evolve is not supported for the CV sequencer modules? Did you just not get around to it yet? Even if there would just be a single dimension "X" available for evolution, that would still be quite useful imho (especially when using a 'discrete sequencing' setup, one would end up with at least 3 dimensions in total again anyway).
It was purely a time issue, I do want to add evolve to the CV Seqs, and eventually to the AudioSample and DrumKit. Also, FYI: there only about 1/2 the number of evolve transformations implemented that I'd like to have in total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Btw, having a little "E" icon both for "Edit" (module run mode settings) on the left side and for "Evolve" on the right side may be slightly confusing (i.e. telling someone to "click on the small 'E' icon" is not clear enough anymore). Maybe consider changing one of them to a different letter? (and sacrifice some disk space for yet another icon image ;P) Or maybe a symbol, perhaps a bit similar to TimeMachine's menu bar icon, but with the arrow clockwise?
I don't like the "E" either. I poked around a bit on Photoshop, but nothing grabbed me. I'll probably just move to an italics "i", like Apple uses, but other suggestions are welcome.

Jim
Old 07-17-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I don't like the "E" either. I poked around a bit on Photoshop, but nothing grabbed me. I'll probably just move to an italics "i", like Apple uses, but other suggestions are welcome.
Can you find a tiny icon of Charles Darwin?

Oh, sorry, I guess you meant serious suggestions.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 AM

A double helix icon maybe.

(onoes, Synplant already has that one.)
Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 PM

There are some "dingbats" (?) with some characters that could work for either edit or evolve. I've seen a pencil as an edit icon pretty frequently.

Is there a way with the Evolve function to set probabilities for chords? This is probably too much to ask, but I'd love it if I could have different probabilities depending on what the current chord is. That's probably a stretch.

I should give an example: Say I'm in the key of G and I'm currently on a G major chord. I'd like the probability of going to Em and C and Bm to be fairly high (and the probability of going to G to be zero). If I'm on an Em, I might like the set the probability pretty high for going to C and Am... etc.

I can see how some careless settings might create little "probability traps" where once the chords enter a certain range, they get stuck-- to the point where I might not hear more than 2 or 3 chords.

Another thought might be to be able to have probabilities for different kinds of "root movement" (i.e., the chord going up a 3rd, or down a 4th, or up a 4th, etc.)

Last edited by stubbsonic; 07-17-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsonic View Post
There are some "dingbats" (?) with some characters that could work for either edit or evolve. I've seen a pencil as an edit icon pretty frequently.

Is there a way with the Evolve function to set probabilities for chords? This is probably too much to ask, but I'd love it if I could have different probabilities depending on what the current chord is. That's probably a stretch.

I should give an example: Say I'm in the key of G and I'm currently on a G major chord. I'd like the probability of going to Em and C and Bm to be fairly high (and the probability of going to G to be zero). If I'm on an Em, I might like the set the probability pretty high for going to C and Am... etc.

I can see how some careless settings might create little "probability traps" where once the chords enter a certain range, they get stuck-- to the point where I might not hear more than 2 or 3 chords.

Another thought might be to be able to have probabilities for different kinds of "root movement" (i.e., the chord going up a 3rd, or down a 4th, or up a 4th, etc.)
Definitely some interesting ideas, but I can't say yet what I'll do. The tricky part is that there are essentially an endless number of chords and combinations, and the transformation rules have to take an abstract view of things. Perhaps there might be a way to pull things out of the module settings library....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 PM

I've been messing with Evolve finally and I love it. I have a couple questions/suggestions:

1) it would be really fantastic if the interval choices could at least be expanded to span all the intervals within the octave - the sixths and sevenths. Even better would be some way to expand beyond the octave - ninths, tenths, etc...whether they have their own entry or can be somehow 'added together' with whatever logical smaller intervals make sense.

2) as far as auto evolve is concerned, the options are 1-8 beats and 1-16 bars. this works great for lots of things but wouldn't cover a situation such as [off the top of my head] - evolving a parameter every 10 beats in a 9/8 groove. Maybe a way to get around this would be a '1 bar plus 1 beat' option...obviously this could get out of hand possibly but I thought it worth throwing out there.

anyway, Evolve, even if no further changes were made = fantastic, super super fun. thank you.

-m
Old 09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Numerologist

Hello,

the Evolve could be modulated by a ModulationSeq or ParamMod.
Just send the value that you want between 0 and 8 to the Seq in the beat that you want, every 10 beats in a 9/8 groove if you like.

best
jue
Old 09-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Numerologist

Hello, Sjoerd,
Hello mitch,

here is an example how to make discrete sequencing with MonoNotes and Evolve by modulating from ModulationSeqs.

Just to give the idea how to do...

best
jue