Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Roadmap: Numerology 4

Although I've been very quiet lately about overall plans with Numerology, there has actually been quite a lot going on behind the scenes. Some of it has been of the technical house-keeping variety, other times it has been "proof of concept" implementations of several new features, and there has been some major poking around in Numerology's internals to asses where things are and where things need to go.

Now that those items have been mostly sorted out, I feel that I can start to give some specifics about where things are going. Obviously from the title of this post, the big news is that I am officially announcing the Numerology 4 development cycle. As with Numerology 3, this will be a staged release: There will be a series of public pre-release builds before the final release -- so if you want early access to stuff, it will be there. This will also be a paid-upgrade release, though I'll be working to make the upgrade process as smooth as possible. And there are some changes in system requirements, so be sure to read through the details below.

The development theme for Numerology 4 is "consolidation" -- though for obvious reasons the final 'marketing' theme will be a bit more interesting. There will be a mix of new features and improvements to existing ones, but everything is focused on making Numerology work better at what it does now, rather than pushing it into a new direction. Many of the new things that will show up have already been discussed a bit -- MIDI Import and Export, more hardware controller support, 64-bit operation, etc, and there are some new things as well -- such as a built-in sample browser. I also plan to address many remaining "annoyances", such some issues with the Patchbay Setup dialog, and the need to restart after various types of preference changes. I will not try to list all the new stuff right now, but will make posts to this thread mentioning new things as it makes sense to do so.

As usual, I cannot give out any dates for anything -- every time I've tried to do that in the past, I've been very wrong. I can say it will be a few weeks before the first public build is ready. In particular, there are quite a few low-level internals changes that are in progress and they need to be done before I start putting out builds. On-the-other-hand, quite a few of the new features are far enough along that it will not take too long to finish them. And, of course, there will still be fixes and updates for version 3.2.

Some Important Details:

Upgrading:

- This will be a paid upgrade. If you purchase (or purchased) Numerology on or after July 21st, you will get the upgrade for free, you'll just need to email me for a coupon number. If you purchased between July 1 and July 21st, you'll get 50% off the upgrade -- again, you'll need to email for the coupon. If you buy a pro upgrade between now and the release, you will also get 50% off the upgrade charge.

- I don't know what the exact upgrade charge will be, but it will be the same for both Numerology SE and Pro, and it will be very reasonable -- probably the same or just a bit more than the N3 SE upgrade is now. I can't say for sure yet as there is a small chance I will be licensing some code for the N4 release.

- In order to avoid "serial number fatigue", I plan to setup the upgrade system to work entirely through the app. It will check your eligibility based on your current SN's, generate a coupon code for the online store, allow you to purchase, and then generate (and activate) a new Numerology 4 SN -- there will be no separate "upgrade serial numbers".

System Requirements:

Numerology 4 will require OS X 10.6.8 or later. This means no PPC version, and no 10.5 support. This decision is driven by a number of factors, in particular:

- Apple no longer supports compiling for 10.5 or earlier in the latest version of XCode, and the latest XCode is the only one that will officially run on Lion or Mountain Lion.

- There are many, many very nice things in the latest XCode that will greatly improve both general programmer productivity and the quality of the final product. In particular, the new compiler (called LLVM) is much faster and generates much better code than the old one (GCC). Similarly, there is a new debugger (LLDB) that is a big improvement.

- Not having to spend a significant amount of effort compiling and testing for the older systems saves me a lot of time -- time that can be spent making the new version better, and possibly even exploring some new platforms.

I will of course be keeping my current laptop and G5 tower so I can continue to support Numerology 3 on PPC and 10.5.

If you are on an Intel machine running 10.5 and can upgrade to 10.6 or later, I recommend it. Snow Leopard in particular is a big improvement on 10.5. If you are on PPC, don't panic. First of all, it will be a while yet (at least a few months) before Numerology 4 is released. What you have now will continue to be current for a while, and will still work after that. I will continue supporting Numerology 3 at least through July of next year.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-18-2012, 03:56 PM

I really like what I'm reading here.

Consolidation, in a program that is so wide ranging and chock full of features as Numerology 3 can only benefit from being firmed up, and made perhaps more responsive.

Some new features could be beneficial. I know that I have mostly been holding off buying all the bells and whistles available from third parties.

Your upgrade schemes in the past have also been very fair and generous in the past. And lucky ones that have bought the program recently..

I for one look forward to being on board for yet another round of intense development, exciting times!

Regards

Wade
Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Great news there, Jim!
If you need beta testers, just let me know!

Best,

Wasili
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Jim,
I like the direction Numerology is heading as well. I am also available for beta testing should you need me to (I helped with some of the N3 plugin testing).
Best,
Scott
Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 PM

That's great...I can feel xmas coming already
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 AM

Great news Jim, thanks for this
If you want i really love test the new feature.
Diego
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it

Last edited by amsonx; 08-19-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Will be glad to help everywhere I can to make it an even better product.

For the jump to 4.x, I wouldn't mind requiring 10.8.x+ so we can take advantage of even more OS X / Xcode goodness. I was planning for a clean break from all 32-bit / PPC code anyway.

Any other users feel different? Any particular reasons for keeping 32-bit / 10.6.x systems around? (I'm waiting for just a couple of developers to update their plugins to 64-bit - besides just a few small indie devs, only Universal Audio is keeping me on 32-bit for another few months or so).
Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I really like what I'm reading here.

Consolidation, in a program that is so wide ranging and chock full of features as Numerology 3 can only benefit from being firmed up, and made perhaps more responsive.
Good to hear that everyone likes that theme -- I almost removed it from the post, thinking that it might be too bland... Anyway, yes, more responsive -- better file loads (and saves), better performance at low audio buffer sizes, hopefully some multi-core rendering action, etc.

I will let everyone know when there's something ready to test...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Novice assesment

Hey Jim
Great news, if you need an assesment from a novice's perspective, i'd be glad to. That is novice from a Numerology standpoint.
Alan
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post

Will be glad to help everywhere I can to make it an even better product.

For the jump to 4.x, I wouldn't mind requiring 10.8.x+ so we can take advantage of even more OS X / Xcode goodness. I was planning for a clean break from all 32-bit / PPC code anyway.
Hey, easy goes it. I think 10.7.4 is recent enough to support. :-)