Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Default lfo from rewire numero to ableton vst ?

silly question:

i would like to modulate an instrument parameter on an ableton channel using a Numerology (rewire) lfo .. is this doable and how may i go about doing this ?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Administrator

You should be able to do it via MIDI CC, something like this:

- Get the parameter in question to respond to a specific MIDI CC message (i.e. a specific controller number).
- Have the LFO in Numerology send that CC via a CCGen module.

Now, how you do the first part I'm pretty sure has several answers... Probably something along the lines of setup the LFO/CC first, run it, put Live into 'learn mode' and click what you want to control.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM

hmm . no real easy way with ableton that i have seen.
i guess i will procrastinate on this one for now.. (was trying to sequence a virus on ableton) . got too lazy .

workin on other stuff now. hosting vsts on numerology.. much easier .

thanks Jim
Old 11-18-2012, 12:37 AM

You can see how to control parameters in Live from N , here on the forum there are 2 different approach of this in this 2 post.

http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=5...hlight=ableton

http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=2...hlight=ableton

Diego
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsonx View Post
You can see how to control parameters in Live from N , here on the forum there are 2 different approach of this in this 2 post.

http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=5...hlight=ableton

Diego
Thanks very much for that link, Diego (and Shamburglar for the N3 project and Live script)
I 'bumped into' this thread, tried it out. Man, that works wonderful.
Opens up the door to a lot of creative possibilities and even more hands-on control between these two fabulous programs.
I'll dive into it more, will edit the Live user remote script to include track levels, pans, sends etc. Hook that up to faderboxes, set lag to an appropriate amount (for more natural transitions) and make project snapshots of Live, ready to be triggered using Numerology's stack presets.
I'll divide the modulation sequencers from that link you postes into two stacks, since the Launchpad can only access the first four sequencers in a stack.
It might take a while, but once i've finished it i'll post all that stuff here as well for the rest of you Numerology/Live fanatics (admit it, you KNOW you are ).

Now, lets see if i can route midi from Live's parameters back into Numerology in Rewire mode somehow, so communication works both ways (adjust a value in Live and have it update the linked Numerology value as well). Already tried it but didn't succeed yet. Some strange erratic behaviour going on when trying to set it up (midi loop or something, i dunno....yet...). Will do a fresh start on that tomorrow.....

Once that's done i might look into doing the same thing for Logic Studio as well...not sure about that yet, since i only use it for mixing. However, mixer snapshots might be a great thing....hmmmmmm...

I'll keep you posted....

Update 19-11-2012 :

Well it seems the Live user remote script is pretty limited : you can only control the first 8 tracks' mixer levels, and two sends and track arm (along with device control). The only way to increase the amount of available controls and whatnot is to use Python. A good resource for making Live remote scripts can be found here.
The other way around this AFAIK is just to use the 'midi learn' function in Live, and set the Numerology controls accordingly. But that's not 'dynamic' and practical to do everytime: imagine you change the track order in Live....instant control confusion.
I tried again to get Live to send its parameter values to Numerology in Rewire, but still no dice.

Last edited by 33tetragammon; 11-19-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Heyy, Thanks for the repost Diego! Playing with the script thingie now..
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 AM

I dont have Live now cause i'm passed to Logic but i remember some fun playing with this techniques.

Maybe you know this but as stated many times on the forum download a copy of Midimonitor, a simple but really useful tool for monitoring your midi traffic
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it

Last edited by amsonx; 11-19-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 AM

i did not know about midimonitor, Diego.. so thank you !
using it now.

I still have not read the whole forum like i should, and neither do i have time these days. So you are being very helpful !
Old 11-20-2012, 03:13 AM

After months of trial and errors, my Numerology/Live set-up is basically the one described by Jim above:

- N3 sync'd to Live through Rewire
- one N3 stack per Live rack/track/group
- to each stack its own MIDI Channel
- one MIDI CC for each targeted parameter, so that you can easily mute/re-map anything without hassle. Or to change the modulation source without messing with your mappings.
- I use a MIDI port for my drum synths/samplers, an other one for synths... so you can use one dedicated to Live's mixer, an other one for Session View if you need so, etc... Numerology has 4 MIDI ports, and you can create as many IAC busses as you need.
- I use Live's MIDI learn/mapping mode

Most efficient and cleanest set-up I've found yet. No overlap in mapping to avoid any confusion.

I'd also recommend using Commentary module to write down your mappings. I have one in each stack, really useful.

If I were you I'd forget about the 2-way communication between both app, I got so many weird MIDI issues because of Live I'm afraid you'll run into many many annoying issues.

I'd use templates instead of Live's remote script too. One of Live's strength is it's simple MIDI learn mode and how you can save any rack/track/group by dragging it from your session into its browser (and vice versa for recalling/using in other project).

I hope it helps.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
If I were you I'd forget about the 2-way communication between both app, I got so many weird MIDI issues because of Live I'm afraid you'll run into many many annoying issues.
Already did, can't seem to find a way to do this without getting major headaches that i'd rather not get.

Quote:
I'd use templates instead of Live's remote script too. One of Live's strength is it's simple MIDI learn mode and how you can save any rack/track/group by dragging it from your session into its browser (and vice versa for recalling/using in other project).
Templates and normal midi map in Live are kind of like 'set in stone'. If i then add something (like an additional send track or device, whatever), i have to go through the whole setup thing once again, which then mutes or kills my 'creative window'.....

Thanks for your help though!

Last edited by 33tetragammon; 11-21-2012 at 05:05 AM.