Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 09-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Default N4 Update: Installer, Plugins, Preset Length, Midi "Drag Out"...

The installer is finally, totally done -- had to jump through some rather odd hoops to get the ReWire driver to install. The installer now installs the current 64 bit ReWire driver (from Proellerheads) and the Numerology 4 ReWire driver. The installation happens when you first start Numerology 4 as an app -- it also checks to make sure everything is up-to-date everytime it starts. There are now preferences so you can state which components you want to have installed -- once you deinstall a component (i.e. N4 AU, N4 VST, N4 Rewire driver) it stays that way until you change the pref. See images below for picts.

I had not been spending much time with the AU & VST plugins lately, so I've just spent a couple days updating them and fixing some issues. I can verify that OSC works for (n4 pro) plugins now, as does "realtime automation" (RTA) and the new setup dialog for MIDI/OSC controllers. Also, the 'crash reporter' built into the app now works with the plugins -- if the app detects that Numerology was involved with a crash in another host, it will offer to send up the crash report.

Preset Length has gotten quite a bit more interesting. As a quick review, this feature allows you to specify what the length of any stack preset is in beats. This is very handy thing to specify, as now in N4:
- The preset playlist is now calibrated in 'preset lengths' instead of bars.
- You can control-click in the timeline to insert a preset (via a popup menu) -- it will insert a preset block of the correct length.
- There is now a "PRST" quantization mode -- preset changes are quantized to the boundary defined by each preset's length
- MIDI Clips are recorded in 'preset length' loops...

Ok, MIDI Clips... So for a while folks have asked for a way to drag sequencer patterns to host apps as MIDI clips. At first I tried a 'direct implementation' approach -- i.e. write code to spit out what notes a sequencer module will play. Problem is, it gets hard to account for all the weird things Numerology sequencers can do. The next approach was to clone the module, render it in the background, capture the MIDI and then generate a file. That would probably work well, but I have come up with what I think is a better solution all around. The new (and implemented) solution is to put a 'MIDI Clip' recorder on the MIDI output of every stack. It continuously records the output of the stack with the loop length set to the length of the current preset. As each loop completes, it saves the clip with the preset and starts a new one. So once you have played through each preset at least once, you now have a saved 'clip' of it that you can then drop into any other program. The CPU overhead seems to be quite low, so it will be on all the time for now. The UI is very simple: a blue "note" icon shows up on the Stack Output module when there a valid clip to drag out. If you edit anything in the stack, the note goes gray until it gets refreshed -- after the next complete play-through of the preset.

The really crazy thing about that approach is that it should work for audio as well, but I'm not quite ready to pursue that option just yet...

So that completes the last 'big' item I feel I need to finish before getting a public beta out. As I mentioned earlier, multi-threaded rendering will be done on a parallel dev branch, and probably released as 4.1. There are also lots of little (but very useful) things on the list, but I can get to those bit by bit. Right now I'm focusing on a final pass of testing and fixes...

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: png FinderScreenSnapz002.png (119.8 KB, 422 views)
File Type: png Numerology4 ProScreenSnapz011.png (59.3 KB, 425 views)
File Type: png Numerology4 ProScreenSnapz012.png (24.3 KB, 407 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM

My mouse is ready !!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM

Great news indeed!!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Great news!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:47 AM

I thought a flat UI design was mandatory now This looks great, looking forward to hear more about the new features.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lut lei View Post
I thought a flat UI design was mandatory now
Flat can look great in some cases, but note that Logic X uses almost as much 'chrome' as Logic 9 did... No big UI changes in Numerology 4, other than the Browser. Big UI update next time around -- skinnable, retina support, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lut lei View Post
This looks great, looking forward to hear more about the new features.
more soon...

Jim
Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Speaking about how it looks, UI:

As said in other thread, I've started to use Numerology on stage, both for sending MIDI Prog changes to my synths and also for sequencing them.

What I've encountered there is that I'd really like to have much bigger space for Presets and Playlist. When everything (I mean all programming) is done you might like to see for example only preset/playlist when you actually play it. More you have options for tweaking it (colors, sizes, perhaps even fonts) the better of course. And you know, this is not only for making it look good. It's about seeing only what you want and how you want and then making live playing more easy. When there's more space for presets you might even make cue lyrics for vocoder singing or anything...
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaine View Post
What I've encountered there is that I'd really like to have much bigger space for Presets and Playlist. When everything (I mean all programming) is done you might like to see for example only preset/playlist when you actually play it. More you have options for tweaking it (colors, sizes, perhaps even fonts) the better of course. And you know, this is not only for making it look good. It's about seeing only what you want and how you want and then making live playing more easy. When there's more space for presets you might even make cue lyrics for vocoder singing or anything...
Duly noted -- I think there is much room for improvement there as well. Perhaps even having a 'super fat' mixer channel where the layout is wide enough to edit the playlist there as well -- but I'm just speculating at this point...

Jim
Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM

Default N4

Fantastic news! Great work, Jim
Old 10-04-2013, 03:30 AM

I can not wait