Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default Osc

Several folks have mentioned that they would like to see OSC in Numerology. I'm making this post as a call for information on:

What existing hardware and software do you have that supports OSC?
How do you use OSC in your setup already?
What kind of OSC support would you like to see in Numerology?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post

What existing hardware and software do you have that supports OSC?

Cheers,
Jim
I' use Arduino that can be deal with OSC
as software Isadora and VDMX and Quartz Composer and Plogue Bidule.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 AM

hello,

software already: Max/MSP-Jitter, Bidule

what kind of modules:
I would like to have a tag sequencer - like sequencer that sends tags/word commands on the time slot - like the matrix sequencer, only that it does not trigger note messages but text messages

best
Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM

Hardware employing OSC: JazzMutant Lemur, Monome64
Software employing OSC: Max/MSP, Reaktor, Circle, Plogue Bidule

What I would like to see: bi-directional feedback between controller and Num, i.e. I set up a MonoNote module in Num. MonoNote has 10 parameters. I'd like to be able to control those parameter changes from the Lemur, as well as have the Lemur's interface change when any of those parameters are adjusted by the mouse, or another process in Num.

Perhaps a really-flexible OSC module, that can say, have it's messages configured with an XML file while the routing is handled via the GUI, would be a decent way to go.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Any chance you could post some example messages or setup info from your Lemur setup?

One option I'm considering is using a fixed 'control message' for all parameters based on the stack/module/param name, for example: "/stack1/mononote1/octave", with the option to 'learn' an additional message for controllers that have already been programmed. However, having not investigated common OSC usage, I may be off-track a bit...

Jim
Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
hello,

software already: Max/MSP-Jitter, Bidule

what kind of modules:
I would like to have a tag sequencer - like sequencer that sends tags/word commands on the time slot - like the matrix sequencer, only that it does not trigger note messages but text messages

best
Would you just need to generate one message with different values, or completely different messages per step?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Any chance you could post some example messages or setup info from your Lemur setup?
As soon as a I get a spare 30-45 minutes to go through a configuration and put together an explanation, I'll post it up here. :-)
Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Would you just need to generate one message with different values, or completely different messages per step?

Thanks,
Jim
Bot sure if we are talking about the same thing.

my idea is something like having a tag trigger like the Matrix seq - so in the column you write the note name or sound for the matrix seq you can write the tag or command (e.g. sweepstart or fadeout - see below). then you have those cells/steps in the row where you can a specify at what time to send that command. (like in the matrix seq this can be the normal rectangle - the tag is outlined at the start of the row)
I mean it would be another idea to use the tag inside the cells, but I think it might get hard to read them - so for e.g. sweepstart and sweepbreak or whatever it might be easier to use two rows, one of each.
Maybe I should make a moke-up screenshot how I think about that.

In the different rows you can have different commands (or better, different messages, where you can go to a completely different location in the Max-patch - /soundgen/voice1/sweepstart and /fx/delay/fadeout or something like that.)

Hope that is a bit clearer now

best
Old 11-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Administrator

How about an expandable list of messages that can be triggered by Note messages (or other events). The nice thing about note messages is that you
get two high-resolution values (note number and velocity) that you could insert as args into the OSC messages. (remember, Numerology's note messages have much higher resolution than MIDI...).

Ltr,
Jim
Old 11-23-2008, 02:24 AM

>>
How about an expandable list of messages
>>

Well, just to make sure I understand that - you mean you assign messages to pitch so that pitch A triggers one command/message and pitch B another? And therefore you can also use the velocity as another value?

It depends how readable it is. I think this is a very important point - having already the whole Max/MSP-cluttering, x message-channels and so on, I think it is important that readability is better than if I would do the same in Max (which can be basically down, but ...)
Besides that, if you get the message command on pitch and another value on velocity - that is about the same as you get in the Matrix sequencer - as there is also a velocity. (ok, there you might have the problem that all commands in one step only have one velocity like with poly note).

I think - like with 'MIDI/CV' seq (well, they output to MIDI) it would be great if there were also different approaches to OSC-related sequencers. For me one concern would be to have a readable measure-based approach.
I like more the idea of triggering behaviour/gestures etc. - so to send a single value with that command might not always help at all. Instead I might use a tag to trigger a pre-recorded or designed 'behavioural sequence' so to say. (e.g. something in ftm or so)

Another concern is - but very theoretical at this point as I think one has to see that in an actual project - if and how Numerology could be integrated into a subnetwork that does debug messaging. Lately I really start to set up such networks to print out the messages to see if there is an error in the scheduling etc. So one could pin the debugging at the border between Max and Num but that might not catch all problems. Well, I think something like that has to be seen in an actual project - but maybe some others also have their approaches and want to share ....

Just my thoughts

thanks for listening.

best

Last edited by steff3; 11-23-2008 at 02:31 AM.