Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Automating the XY module using sequencers-

I'm on a roll with Numerology doing demos of the Patchpool soundware bank Modelled Reatlity, and Chromazone.

With my recent Computer upgrade I've been having alot more fun with my setup..

I wanted to get into using the xy module to control the mix of 3 sets of three soundsources.

Now it's all well and good with the XY controls in realtime. but what about automation, how about recording the moves? Doesn't seem easily implemented but guess what? It is!

Just setup 2 Velocity sequencers: Sequence/destination X and Sequence/destination Y with an output range of -1 to +1, send their CV velocity out to a paramod module inputs CV 1 and CV 2 respectively with a destination CV X index 1/targ and CV 2 Y index 1/targ.

This gives control. of the movements of the coordinates of the target point. By setting the glide rate you can effect the speed at which the absoute X+Y value move from point to point.

You need to send the output of the XY module CV 1 X and CV 1 Y, into a paramod with the destination for your two audio sources you want to mix between.

Values over zero will move from 50% of full volume 100% , Values under zero move toward silence.

The Velocity sequencers are in effect your automation player that can be programmed the usual way for sequencers by moving each step in say a 16 step sequencers value slider to you desired volume level for your audio devices. Setting the glide parameter on the XY module determines the speed of the fades.

I discovered a reverse trick; by seting up your XY module to modulate step value on your Velocity sequencers using two paramods, you can record your XY movements into the X/Y sequencers.

At the XY modules patch ouput CV X index nr. 1 goes into slot two, with a destination Velocity sequencer X parameter Step Value. In CV 1 of the same paramod, you connect the output from the Velocity X sequencers step number output. Set the paramods slot 1 destination to the very same paramod module parameter, paraindex value 2. Repeat this for the CV Y (index 1) output.

Now you will have to mute the output of the velocity sequencer paramods X/Y modules in to the first device described at the beginning of the post.

Now set your glide time to Zero on the XY controller1 when you move the XY point around the sliders in you velocity sequencers will change.

You will have to set the Velocity sequencers to a meanful tempo for your type of material. I use 2W or 4W..

So now you record your XY point movements into Velocity sequencers X and Y. Once your happy with your recording mute your two paramods with the Velocity sequencer as destinations. Unmute your Velocity sequencers paramods with the XY module index 1 as destination.

Play back your automated mix. Concievably you could setup a 64 step sequencer with a CL division of say 2XW for a 128 bar recorded sequence. or converserly use a faster CLdivision for controlling synth parameters.Though something similiar can be achieved by using glide time.

Set your glide time to a meaninful amount for your mix. I set a value between 2 and 5.

Additionally you can modulate the glide time using an Lfo for increased control of your fade curves.

You can also invert the output from the XY outputs by patching them into two CV SigProc modules set their Clip ranges to .-1 to +1 and enable invert buttons, patch the outputs into two slots of an l paramod, destination your two additional voices for a total of four automated audio channels. repeat this for as many voices as you want for paralell movements to either multiple sound sources or parameters.

I loaded up submixes into nine sampler instrumets and controlled their faders on an 3 audio mixers I left one of the possible four voices silent as a type of conscious crippling of the setup. A blind spot in the mix. Another application would be to control reverb times this way to control the front to back positon of a sound source in a mix.

Some further tweaks to the system would be either to make presets where the appropriate paramods module were active or muted depending on if you were using the system in record or playback mode. Addtitionally once you've recorded you movements you could save these either as stack presets or named pairs of Velocity X and Velocity Y sequencer settings. This could be handy if you wanted identical miv automation over several voices but with just a few tweaks like shift the paired automation sequencers by one bar or so.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-24-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 AM

Hello I've edited the above as some things got garbled in the original version.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-24-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 AM

Very interesting and it seems that I found a bug in Numerology.
The step num out is counting two times 1 and therefore never reach 16 on a 16 step.
In fact this is not true, it does it only once. I report this to Jim.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secmast View Post
Very interesting and it seems that I found a bug in Numerology.
The step num out is counting two times 1 and therefore never reach 16 on a 16 step.
In fact this is not true, it does it only once. I report this to Jim.
Find out why.
Step out num is starting with 0 when index is starting with 1.
You need a scale & offset to correct it I believe.
Undocumented feature or bug... JIM ???
Old 10-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Find out why.
That is correct you need to patch a scale and offset module and between the velocity sequence step out and the paramod, and input an offset of one.

I wasn't really watching for this issue in the application as mixing for me isn't so time critical, especielly of long periods. For other types of modulations like with the divide parameter in the the midi sequencers it's very important to have corrected the offset setup.

I don't really see this issue as being a bug though. It's more of function of the time and event stamp can't occur until step two of any sequence.

With numerology careful observation and experimentation is the key. I worked in more detail with this setup recently and the stack preset idea for changing from record to playback modus is rather tricky. In record modus it should be noted that putting the Velocity sequencer into play mode with loop off is probably a good idea otherwise it's will be easy to indacvertantly erase your edits as it begins to loop back from the begining. Also once you have recorded a set of movements you have to immedeatly duplicate the preset, then initialize the original Record preset.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-27-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Find out why.
Hmmm, it might be a bug, but that is what the internal value is -- internally all indexes start at 0, something common to almost all programming languages. Usually I do offset things visible to users to start at 1, but I'd have to examine that particular case closely as there may be a good reason to leave it at 0.

Jim
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 AM

At the beginning it makes no sens to me.
As I observe the valure at the paraindex and saw two times 1 on the paramods !!!
I had to use a CC gen module to send it to Midi and then use midi monitor to spot the Zero.
Make me think of a good add on to Numerology which is some sort of capture screen CV/Midi input to get a clear view when type of problem like this arise.