Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum


Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 AM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default Midi Delay-ay-ay-ay

There was a rather rankerous end to the midi file export thread, where I expressed doubts and was all kind of attitude but nice..

But all this pent up energy, and then whats this? A call for a midi delay. Well I dove in head first.

I made a monster midi delay..

How? Is there anyone out there who can guess what I did to achieve my mega midi delay?

Heres proof a little recording using my Delay monster plus:
A maschine used as plugin within Numerology
Two external audio signals "Pads" "Brass" from the Blofeld and Wavestation AD.

The delay sound module is the Kontakt instrument NewYork Grand.

http://www.box.net/shared/epp40yvcm85o7i3kj7q8

How did I do it? Morever why? Anyone willing to venture their theory?

It's a work in process too so if anyone has any Midi delay like tricks they use in Numerology I'd love to hear about them!

There will be a prize of a finished Midi Delay monster from yours truly to the best input post!! I will be working on it, refining it over the next 10 days or so, hopefully with helpful inputs from those great minds involved in this forum.. Then I'll send my midi delay monster to the happy winner ! This is serious good fun but time consuming, hey a new tool!

Btw I'm no newbie to playing with midi delay, I spent long nights tricking up the Midi Processor module in Cubase with devious twisting and Distorting oh that poor innocent user interface..

Wade

Jim Coker already knows what I'm up to so I'd ask that he hold tight until I which time as I spill the beans on my own.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-03-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default Developments on the Midi Delay-ay-ay-ay

No one ventures a guess, speculations as to how I'm making a midi delay with just Numerology? No interested takers on my offer to recieve the Midi delay when it's done..by coming with suggestions tricks inputs?

You don't know what you will be missing..

It's working out to be much more than a delay.

Jim has recieved a couple of versions, and in his words he had a blast playing with it..

It's a major time eater to make, it would be a shame if no one took up my offer, and came with some guesses as to what in the world I'm up to..

I'll post more examples of the Delay setup in action soon..

Check it out!

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-05-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
amsonx's Avatar
amsonx amsonx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Genova ,Italy
Posts: 370
Default

Hey Wade, i 've miss the post, for sure i've interest in your Delay.. so come on tell us how do you do it ?

Diego
__________________
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 AM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default You are going to get the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsonx View Post
Hey Wade, i 've miss the post, for sure i've interest in your Delay.. so come on tell us how do you do it ?

Diego
Hi Diego, I'm still refining the Delay monster but it's more than that, it's more like a world destroying sound inferno machine.

One button press could change musical history for the next er thousands years..

It's like a pyramid, each block is simple plain old numerology tech, but piled high as high as to the sky..

How, why and when ?

But first tell us your trick for echo or other midi "effects processing tools" within Numerology only using your brains and the modules available..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-06-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 AM
amsonx's Avatar
amsonx amsonx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Genova ,Italy
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Hi Diego, I'm still refining the Delay monster but it's more than that, it's more like a world destroying sound inferno machine.

One button press could change musical history for the next er thousands years..

It's like a pyramid, each block is simple plain old numerology tech, but piled high as high as to the sky..

How, why and when ?

But first tell us your trick for echo or other midi "effects processing tools" within Numerology only using your brains and the modules available..

Wade
i'havent work so much with midi echo/delay but i've digged the Cv Delay, i think the this may be the key to do a midi delay..i'll do some experiments...
__________________
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 AM
TwoToneshuzz TwoToneshuzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsonx View Post
i'havent work so much with midi echo/delay but i've digged the Cv Delay, i think the this may be the key to do a midi delay..i'll do some experiments...
I'll save you time and say that you won't reach the effect that I'm going for by using the CV delay..

It's kind of limited because to get a delay effect of a mono note, for example you have to use three CV delays, one each for pitch, gate and velocity..

This makes it unintuitive for changing the Delay times.. I've made a super Canon machine though using the technique..

I connect the outputs from the mono note as described above to a note generator, then you can set the times, and even transpose the output from the Delays so you get a chordal output, using the note generators 2 CV sub outputs, this mixed with the original signal makes for a very fat complex sound from one mononote, lots of fun, The chordal canon machine!!!

But the problem with this setup is to get several taps you would have to use just as many delays x3 as you want taps..


Midi delay can also be used as a midi looper as well btw..

Wade
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 AM
amsonx's Avatar
amsonx amsonx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Genova ,Italy
Posts: 370
Default

i've tried to do a little stack using the CV delay to implement a midi delay, is a first try.. so don't be severe with me
Attached Files
File Type: zip midi delay.nmp.zip (10.9 KB, 9 views)
__________________
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 AM
amsonx's Avatar
amsonx amsonx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Genova ,Italy
Posts: 370
Default

i've added some other things
Attached Files
File Type: zip midi delay experiment 2.zip (14.9 KB, 16 views)
__________________
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Two Soldiers Two Soldiers is offline
Numerologist
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 73
Default

Hi Wade

Your track sounds like something that could be done by having the original midi signal trigger a one-shot sequence(with various modulate-able parameters). I'm also wondering how you are doing your midi tracking - I know it's possible to do it with a midi note filter for every note in your range but that's perhaps not such an elegant solution. I'm wondering if maybe you've found a way to turn one of the modules into a polyphonic note tracker - maybe the matrix sequencer/arpeggiator or utilising the new midi record function?

Anyway I'm sadly way too busy at the minute but hopefully I'll get a chance to experiment and throw something into the mix. Great post (again) by the way

Cheers,
Nick
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM
amsonx's Avatar
amsonx amsonx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Genova ,Italy
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I'll save you time and say that you won't reach the effect that I'm going for by using the CV delay..

It's kind of limited because to get a delay effect of a mono note, for example you have to use three CV delays, one each for pitch, gate and velocity..

This makes it unintuitive for changing the Delay times.. I've made a super Canon machine though using the technique..

I connect the outputs from the mono note as described above to a note generator, then you can set the times, and even transpose the output from the Delays so you get a chordal output, using the note generators 2 CV sub outputs, this mixed with the original signal makes for a very fat complex sound from one mononote, lots of fun, The chordal canon machine!!!

But the problem with this setup is to get several taps you would have to use just as many delays x3 as you want taps..


Midi delay can also be used as a midi looper as well btw..

Wade
thanks for the advice Wade , i'll explore your suggestion, i've posted my stack before i read this..
__________________
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.