Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 06-18-2018, 07:04 AM

Default Audio Preferences

Hi,

I am mostly using N4 as a MIDI sequencer but with our live band I run some audio loops with it too. I do not use external soundcard but take it out from my Mac Books built-in headphone output.

Couple of times I've noticed a strange out-of-sync issues with N4 audio, but now I think I know what is causing it. Before that I have played my Pianoteq 6 standalone and with that soft synth I like to use higher sample rate (48000 hz or even higher) and very small audio buffer size. After "piano session" like that if I close Pianoteq and launch Numerology these audio settings tend to stay and cause trouble described above.

Now when I know what's the problem, there's a fix. With Pianoteq I adjust rate back to 44000hz and also buffer size and close the app and then launch N4. Maybe mac reboot is also wise to do (hard to say precisely if it's actually necessary, cause I've done it anyway when it happened).

I can live with this, but problem arises if I forget to re-adjust audio parameters before launching N4. And that's not very nice to notice on stage - that happened last weekend! So best would be that if N4 would "remember" those settings itself.
Also with Mac Books built-in audio there's no place to adjust sample rate and buffer (in somewhere system settings etc.), right? So if you use 48000hz or higher with Pianoteq for example, does these settings remain when you close the app? Basically I am just curious to know how all this works....

thanks,
P

Last edited by PLaine; 06-19-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:58 AM

One of Apple's many weird quirks is having the audio settings be a separate app "Audio MIDI Setup" within Applications/Utilities.

Running it to verify the config is one of my pre-gig prep & check habits.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Yes, it is always best to set the sample rate for a device using that device's own software -- for built-in Audio, AudioMIDI Setup is the app to use.

Cheers,
Jim

Tags
ead