Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Default question about modulation

I haven't thus far found the answer in the manual. And forgive me - i used numerology extensively years ago, but I both forget most of what I knew, and in addition, a lot has been added.

So, I'm learning by doing/practicing. I set up a mononote sequencer, and decided to start by messing with some of the more interesting modulations offered easily by Numerology.

So, say, I right click on the last step indicator, or a pitch in the sequence, etc. I'll get then a choice of a modulation - an lfo, or a sequencer (i forget if anything else, but that's not the issue). And that's great.

So, say, I wanted to take the sequencer that it gives me and BOTH modulate the ending step (sequence length) and one or multiple pitches in the sequence. I"m not seeing how to do that. How do I select modulations like this and choose the same modulation source for multiple parameters? Or again, suppose I choose a sequencer to modulate the pitch of step 5 - can I come back, and also modulate the pitch of step 8 with the same sequencer?

Hope that makes sense. I'm thrilled to be back here. How I became the hardware sequencer idealogue that I became is now rather unclear to me....
Old 03-25-2018, 12:22 PM

ok. a combination of rtfm and remembering what I used to do....looks like the param mod module is the way to go here. I do like the ability to right click on a note or other parameter and choose a modulation. I suppose the question now would focus on whether I can accomplish multiple modulations using that method, rather than just starting with the param mod and not worrying about it.

there is just so, so much in Numerology. I will have to organize most of my sessions for now as practice and research, so that I can get comfortable without always having to look at the manual.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
I haven't thus far found the answer in the manual. And forgive me - i used numerology extensively years ago, but I both forget most of what I knew, and in addition, a lot has been added.

So, I'm learning by doing/practicing. I set up a mononote sequencer, and decided to start by messing with some of the more interesting modulations offered easily by Numerology.

So, say, I right click on the last step indicator, or a pitch in the sequence, etc. I'll get then a choice of a modulation - an lfo, or a sequencer (i forget if anything else, but that's not the issue). And that's great.

So, say, I wanted to take the sequencer that it gives me and BOTH modulate the ending step (sequence length) and one or multiple pitches in the sequence. I"m not seeing how to do that. How do I select modulations like this and choose the same modulation source for multiple parameters? Or again, suppose I choose a sequencer to modulate the pitch of step 5 - can I come back, and also modulate the pitch of step 8 with the same sequencer?

Hope that makes sense. I'm thrilled to be back here. How I became the hardware sequencer idealogue that I became is now rather unclear to me....
I find myself in that same situation often.
Sometimes you just want the same modulation source on multiple destinations.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
ok. a combination of rtfm and remembering what I used to do....looks like the param mod module is the way to go here. I do like the ability to right click on a note or other parameter and choose a modulation. I suppose the question now would focus on whether I can accomplish multiple modulations using that method, rather than just starting with the param mod and not worrying about it.
If you're fairly confident you'll be using a modulation sequence or two to modify multiple parameters, I'd recommend starting with a couple of them and a ParamMod module pre-route --- i.e. the 'mise en place' approach. However, even after using "Add Modulation" you can always go in and add a ParamMod module that listens to the same mod seq -- just keep an eye on the parameter value ranges.

Jim