Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM

i've do a fast test (only put mobius 2 plugin in MS) and seem works: i can see the Mobius GUI with no problem.
tonight ill do some more test.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 AM

I'm using both Numerology AU and Mobius 2.1 and they both work like a charm in Logic and Ableton Live. Only Mainstage 2.2.1 brings out their dark sides. A strange issue, MS becoming "not responding" and I have to force quite. Same thing happened two weeks ago with the Amplitube 3.7 but that issue got solved three days later by IK Multimedia releasing an update of the plugin.

EDIT:
I just found a fix for this and now my Mainstage 2.2.1 works well with both Num AU and Mobius 2.x. Someone told me that if I trash the Mainstage application document and log in to the Appstore with my Apple ID the web store will detect the missing application document and allow me to download and re-install. So I did and it helped. Obviously my original Mainstage installation was corrupt in some way.
soundcloud.com/pboy

Last edited by Per Boysen; 04-06-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM

wow cool to see that others are using it as well. I have had no time to delve into it yet, but I will soon.

I think that the patches could be switched indirectly by CC# as you can link a visual button controller to switch patches and then map that button to a CC#. It might only do next / previous though... Not that it matters. Prog changes are easy too.

You guys should use it w/ rewire!! That would solve a lot of the confusing midi stuff and you can send audio back and forth between them both.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
I'm a big fan of MS and have used it since the very first 1.0. The Appstore release 2.2.1 has a general window for Assignments & Mappings, just like you have in Ableton Live. And the awesome new function here is that if you select "Unassigned" you can turn off "Send unassigned MIDI to all Channels Strips". This solves the issue that if some control surface you may use happens to work with a MIDI event matching the old Roland GM system (from the 80's) it won't play havoc with mixer levels and panning in Mainstage. I love that!!! Had so many issues with it in the past. [...] The good side is that it sounds very good and you get a lot of great instruments but I hate that fact that you have to control every damn parameter over MIDI. So there's a huge initial planning session needed in order to set everything up as your templet of choice. Feels a bit bulky compared to hosting third-party instruments and effects in Numerology.
Do you have a feeling of how much faster it is to map every parameter in 2.2 v.s. 2.1?

I have 2.1.3 (the last version bundled with Logic) and I put off purchasing 2.2 because I'm worried that mainstage 3 will come out and it'll be another paid upgrade.

And although it's time consuming it's sooo much easier than the Environment in Logic! I hope they migrate more of the environment to Mainstage in the future.

As far as integration goes I don't bother with rewire . I record in Mainstage with the finder open and pointing at the save directory and then drag the recorded audio into a sampler in Numerology.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM

I started digging around in this last night and it seems pretty easy, although not really clear right off the bat. Basically for every note stream you want to capture in MS you have to create a keyboard and set it to receive midi from a Num midi out on a certain channel. It's really heavy on the controller metaphor, so if you want to have CCs go to a track in MS you have to create knobs to act as patch points. The cool thing about this though is that each patch remembers how those knobs are mapped to the virtual instruments, meaning you can reroute the CC data by changing the patch. Kinda cool. I haven't done anything w/ audio yet, but I plan to do that next time I get a chance. I can image the reloop thing being really cool for capturing/building up some looping synth parts from hardware or human input.

Basically you create a template for all the ins you want, and then per patch you can reroute them as you please

I'd say the mapping is extremely easy. I think I'll make a couple of video tutorials about integration with Num3 once I have my head around it better.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
Do you have a feeling of how much faster it is to map every parameter in 2.2 v.s. 2.1?
Yes, not faster at all. The fastest way is still to do it graphically/manually by selecting the graphical object in the workspace, clicking "Map Parameter" in the Screen Control Inspector and clicking the plugin's GUI parameter icon. Then you turn off "Map Parameter" and tweak the scaling as you want it.

Hm... well, it might be just a little faster to adjust details in a big project because the new Assignments & Mappings overview window is hyper linked to the other edit windows. This means that you can click on a line in the list of bindings and have that particular binding appear down in the Screen Control Inspector.

A good thing I like with the Appstore version of Mainstage is that it can be used in a more CPU friendly way than the previous versions. For me that has a two-core i7 MBP this is now notable. But I have to make sure I set up my patches so they can be effectively distributed by Mainstage over the two cores. The new multi core support kind of juggles channelstrips and that means not connecting all channel strips with dynamic relations like for example a crossing side-chain link. An example: For pumping reverb it not any longer the best strategy to set up a bus/aux with reverb followed by a compressor you side-chain from all inputs/sound sources. Better then set up two identical effect busses, each one with a reverb + compressor and then assign each compressor's side-chain only to the sound source that is sending to that effect channelstrip. I re-routed my live rig according to this and got a lot of extra juice. People with four core MBP's gain a lot more processing power with the new MS.
soundcloud.com/pboy

Last edited by Per Boysen; 04-06-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks! I feel better about waiting now.

Tags
logic, mainstage, sculpture, ultrabeat