Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Audio Units

Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 AM

Default Buying spree what I got this fall!

Oh my I'm into plugins in a bigway. Tbh I'm ITB!

To be honest I'm in the box!

MFM2 by U-he is a 4 unit modular Delay, there's enough hooks in this to keep me happy as I've always felt the need to change the sound after the delay. To make this possible in a useful way I'd actually prefer a delay that has seperate outs for each tap line. MFM2 doesn't have that, but the four delays can be freely routed, modulated and rerouted into two seperate stereo effects especielly ringmod/frequency shifter and distortion were what I was after, and compressors. So in effect it gets me where I'm going. The taps can also be pitched and played back using midi keyboard input triggers so it basically a synth input morphing synth.

2C audios B2 modular reverb, basically two reverbs in one, with the pedigree of Aether and some powerful workflow enhancements and a ton of great presets to start from. I like the interface design, pretty lowkey but efficient, input output meters, a compressor, distortion, flexible cascade or a parallel signal flow routing. I'm quite pleased and I find it easier to work with to hone in on a quality I'm after, I have Valhalla Room and Shimmer plus Uhbik A, so I feel it's definetly an improvement in this respect over these other reverbs..

Steinbergs Padshop Pro, what can I say the interface is beautiful, sharpest rendering of the graphics I've ever seen. Very clearly laid out interface, functionality is top notch. Sound quality also. Very generous price, doesn't need an iLok if you just use it on one computer.

iZotope Trash 2 a new arrival got to work with it to get best results. Highly modular you can change the position of the modules in the chain, 2 Filters, the main distortion module called Trash x2 plus 1 filter within the module for selectively limiting the destortion frequency response, Convolution modelling with user import of impuls responses, Compression/expansion, and delay, Many of the modules are multiband. A really multiflexible workhorse.. Beautiful metering and frequence response graphics..

iZotope Iris, it's a study for sure I love what comes out of that instrument. It doesn't replace an regular sampler, but what it does is unique.. Very educational in use as well.

Lounge Lizard 4, it was a kind of no brainer upgrade pricewise. From me it's one of the most responsive instruments I have. Though I've never been a huge fan of electric pianos, so I automatically work with it on my experimental sounds..

None of these tools are in the least glichy or buggy that I can see.

So I'm suited in the sound sources department. Though I'm currently demoing Fabfilters Pro Q, and will likely get Zebra when it's closer to it's version 3 release. My thinking here is that I don't really want to begin learning a new interface if it's going to be upgraded soon.

For my host other than Numerology Pro 3, I'm going to stay with Logic Express which I mostly don't use. I've searched far and wide for a simple audio and midi application, but alas there is really nothing that impresses me, so in lew of this super easy to learn efficent fully 64bit host I think Logic is the well most logical choice on the Mac for me. I hope the Apple Logic team do upgrade Logic Pro 9 to Logic X at somepoint. Then I will buy it at that point. I note that there is no upgrade path for boxed editions of ealier versions of Logic to the the new downloadable version from apple, strange business model, oh well...

To sum up, I got the new computer that had been used for 9 months for a good price in August, that opened my wallet as to getting some more capable software instruments and effects. So this stage is over, it's time to learn how to use what I've got optimise my work flow. Upgrade my monitors. I had thought I might do some concerts or something in February but I still don't feel motivated to do that yet, my goal though is to break through my composition limitations, get a more developed product together in the next months and then see where I'll go from there..

regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-15-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 AM

I'm myself getting into working ITB more and more. Though I do still like my hardware too...

Couple of things I've bought myself recently, am a sucker for a sale...

Toxic Biohazard (FM) and Morphine (Additive) from Image-Line. They were both heavily discounted and filled holes in my sonic arsenal. Learning curve with them both but they are both well designed (in terms of making fairly challenging forms of synthesis manageable) and sound great. It's really nice to work with something genuinely different to my other synths, have to think in new ways which is good for the creativity.

Also got Drumspillage in the 20% off January sale... I think in one of the other threads someone said it was a great partner to Numerology with all the modulation destinations possible... wow I don't disagree at all, having lots of fun so far. Was a bit hesitant as I already have Battery and Drumaxx, but glad I got it as it's easy to get to places the others don't easily reach.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 AM

100% ITB here too... and damn happy with it. Even though I work with a very limited (virtual) set-up, as if I only had a couple of hardware synths and outboard.

I'm a former Reason user and ditched it for N3Pro a year ago, so I bought all synths and effects, and learnt them, in 2012. I've demoed so many plugins to finally pick few ones !

N3 controls synths/samplers/effects that Live 8 hosts, slaved via Rewire. Live is great, despite its obvious weaknesses (external sync, CPU usage and PDC).

U-He Diva is everywhere in my tracks. She sounds gorgeous, period. She can fool any ear and make the whole boring "hardware VS. software" debate totally irrelevant. I love how you can mix components of different classic synths and use her in a very iconoclast way. Combined with N3 she turn into a modular beast ! And it's almost impossible to make her sound bad

I sometimes use U-He's Bazille and Madrona Labs's Aalto too. Both sound great as well.

AudioSpillage's drum synth and sampler cover all my drum / percussion needs.

When it comes to reverbs, Valhalla all the way ! I own, love and use daily Room, Vintage Verb and UberMod. They sound lush, are so versatile and fun to use !

My most recent purchase is Sonic Charge Permut8 : absolutely fantastic weird delay based effect (and so much more). I'm in love with it

Once my tracks are composed, I record every individual track to audio in real-time in Live in the highest quality I can, then mix it all in Reaper 4. If Reaper had a better MIDI editor / CC mapping system, I'd certainly use it from scratch instead of Live...

I keep stuff simple then :
- SSL Duende Channel Strip on every track : I've been using it for years and never found any thing to replace it
- Kush Audio's UBK1 on drum buss and master buss : I've demoed dozen's of compressors, none come close to it when it comes to generate movement and groove, and it sounds fantastic on everything within a few clicks
- Slate's VTM as final master insert.

I'm experimenting again with Airwindows's summing system (Desk3 + Console2 combo) and think that I prefer it to Slate VCC (which I've been using for months). AW's is cleaner and more natural to my ears, more detailled, yet with obvious benefits in depth and overall tone of the mix. It glues the mix while retaining lot of clarity.

I equally love subtle saturation and detailled mixes, and it seems to be the best compromise for me. Even though I love how VCC's SSL gels the mids, I've always been puzzled by the way it handles high frequencies.

My only gripe with ITB is all the cliché which are tied to software and how shitty they're supposed to sound. Of course, many plugins are poorly coded and sound even worse in the wrong hands/ears. But some plugins sounds fantastic nowadays and make the whole "hardware vs. software" debate vain and irrelevant.

It's gonna be so much fun in few years when computer will be able to handle all the fantastic sounding yet very CPU demanding plugins that are now getting released without a sweat. Then I'll can take my studio sessions live and jam them with the same fantastic sonics ! Such an exciting perspective !

My future purchase ? like Wade, new set of monitors, and Zebra and/or Diversion.

Last edited by nil; 01-29-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 AM

The whole hardware vs software thing is interesting. To me, a lot of it has been rendered moot, because there are many more good sounding plugins at cheaper price points than there were a few years ago. Look at the Airwindows stuff, it's really good and keenly priced. Diva is another great example, it really does sounds great and it's very affordable.

And still, much as there are some good sounding compression plugins for instance, I'm yet to hear a single one that I favour over a good hardware compressor. I have an Overstayer VCA as a buss compressor, very similar in design to the famous SSL G series buss compressor. I also have the Waves SSL compressor plugin. It's good, but the hardware is better.

Same thing with summing - VCC and the AW system, I think they're both very good and an important step forward from native DAW summing. Still, I wouldn't personally choose either over good analog summing.

With that said I would never suggest that anyone needs to buy a load of gear in order to make worthwhile tracks, or tracks of a certain standard - it's just a couple of inches within a game of inches, where the skill of the operator is always the most important variable.

Nil: interesting setup there with Reaper/Live. The mixing limitations of Live are what has always put me off. Never been tempted by Logic? Will be interesting to see what Logic X is like when it comes out... my guess is they're going to expand in the Ableton-type direction with new features.

My next purchase will be to move up to N3 Pro. After that, I feel like I'm set for most things for a while at least. Might check out some reverbs... not found any I'm crazy about, I use Space Designer in Logic for a lot of stuff. Might look for a good deal on a used Macbook Pro at some point this year. Possibly a nice summing amp.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM

I've used Logic few years ago but never felt confortable with it, while I felt familiar with Reaper after a week ! IMO Reaper is a fantastic DAW: more than fairly priced, efficient on CPU, never crashes, can be customized to your will, and can get as complex or simple as you ask it to be.

About summing and compression : I think it's becoming a matter of taste more than sound quality.

If you're not seeking for "analogueness" (whatever it might mean ), ITB can sound equally great as OTB. Different of course, but equally great.

Nothing will sound better than a SSL/Neve (summing) mixer or a 1176 if it's the precise sound you desire. And nothing will sound as brutally perfect and colorless as DAW summing. But if you're looking for something in between...

AW Desk3 is invisible until you bypass it : then, it reveals its magic. That's why I'm falling in love with it again UBK-1 does wild stuff no hardware (nor any software combo) can do ! Have you tried it ?

But I do get your point, I really do. I'm less and less interested in 1/1 software replicas of analogue gear. VTM is the last faithful emu that I use (even though I'm not sure my settings are that much orthodox hehe).

Diva is a different story : she's amazing at replicating here analogue counterparts, but she can be so much more (and that's where she shines IMO).
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Great posts nil and transmetropolitan,.. informative and fun to read!!

I just stumbled into getting one more plug last night. Diversion by Dmitry Sches, it's like a fast to use Zebra. The introductroy price and Simon Stockhausen making a soundset for it got me on board. So now I've got a few capable 64 bit synths for when Numerology goes 64 bit.

Diva, Ace, Filterscape VA , Diversion, Maschine, Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard 4, Iris, Padshop.

They all are non traditional and niche in someway. This will I think help me to use the resources effectively in my arrangements as opposed to owning a series of synths that are just different varieties of the same technology.

I'll probably get Zebra shortly before the upgrade so I can have a Digital workhorse modular synth.

But really what I need to do is to get down to the nuts and bolts of arrangement and instrumentation. Finding my voice, developing as an artist and communicator, instead of a technician or auditive voyeur!

I've tried Reaper, it's definately a serious contenter if you just want mixing and basic midi. Perhaps the midi section has improved since I last used it three years ago!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 AM

Just to update what my AU Collection looks like now a month later:

Diva, Ace, Filterscape VA , Diversion, Maschine, Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard 4, Iris, Padshop, iZotope Iris, Trash 2, 2C B2, Diversity, Stutter Edit, MFM 2, Fabfilter Pro Q.

I have Surge the AAS modelling collection. No Sampler Except Logics but I suppose kontakt is in my future my future, Plan on getting Bazille and Zebra 3...

So it's all pretty nice many at reasonable introductory prices, on sale and I found Stutter Edit, Fab Filter Pro Q on the KVR market place..