Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsonx View Post
thanks for the advice Wade , i'll explore your suggestion, i've posted my stack before i read this..
It seemed alittle muddled my post about the Canon Machine, I just want to point out the CV siganl flow;

Mono note

interval out ---> CV delay 1 in

Gate out ---> CV delay 2 in

Velocity out----> CV delay 3 in

CV delay 1+2+3 to Note Generator Interval,Gate and Velocity in

PLUS Interval out to CV delay to NoteGenerator sub output 1 +2

You could choose a to make a chord or note cluster follow your mono note single line, or even use two note Generators one delayed and one non delayed for having a chordal Canon!

As to inputs on the Delay monster I'm still refining the setup and will spill the beans about what it's all about sometime next week.. But Diego being the first to answer this post, gets the Delay for sure..

I'm would be touchy about just posting as a freebie my Delay monsters to just any casual lurkers, or non contributors, but the folks that have made their presence felt and have helped out before with problem solving will be in the running for getting a Delay monster, I figure it will take about 30 hours to make.. But will be used by me for a whole new direction in sound making..

It's also making me find to groundbreaking ways to handle small niggaly problems that become big hurdles when working in monster mode..

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-06-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM

I wish I had some helpful info to share. I will offer my encouragement and best wishes!

I tried a few experiments, but without much structure so I don't really remember and it's hard to articulate. What I do remember is a pretty poor solution. I'm sharing it on the off chance there is something useful in it.

Anyway, the limited, brute force MIDI delay recorded one sequence into another and modulated the shift pattern forward button. You can expand this to a series of sequencers in series or parallel to get more "taps" on the delay. I used the transpose function of the actual sequencer for a pitch shifted delay.

The fact that you couldn't move the note too many steps forward without it looping around made it a rather dirty solution.

If you start your original note anywhere except the first step(probably more like the middle) you can use the shift pattern backwards button to get reverse delays though.

Thinking about ways to expand on this now, it was somewhat sophomoric to route one sequencer into another. I could have record armed all the sequencers and then shifted each of them a different number of steps.

Using the record one sequence into the next and shift idea though you could play the first sequence backwards, record it into the 2nd and then play it forwards again. Which isn't really a delay, but interesting. And now I'm curious to find out what it sound like to reverse every tap!

I'm not skilled enough in Numerology to know how/if it's possible to do this, but I'm thinking what if you made master sequencers that placed a note on in the middle of your "delay sequencers" and each delay sequencer was something like 128 steps. Then you would have quite a bit of latitude to move the note about. Well, hmm, I guess if you could easily place a note in the middle that is already kind of a delay.

Back to the original "delay". I tried to get it so that it ratcheted the velocity down in the sequencer when I hit stop on record, but now I realize I could have used a note processor. A cleaner, but more complicated way to work it would be to route 1 sequencer to 3 note processors of different velocities(or however many taps you had) to 3 sequencers. Could you setup a master fader to control all your note processors and keep the ratio between them the same?

Hmmm! You could modulate the velocity on the note processor in time with each pass through of your original sequence. You could route these to their own sequencers. Or you could route all of the notes to one sequencer that's length was a multiplication of your original sequence. You would have to do a shifting tap dance though were you move the delayed sequence back each delay tap and then forward that same number of times +1 more.

Anyway, I dunno. I'll have a look at the files later and see if they spark any ideas.

I like that you can think up data processing goals to try to accomplish with Numerology because even if I don't succeed they usually spark good song ideas or I come up with interesting components to use in a song.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
It seemed alittle muddled my post about the Canon Machine, I just want to point out the CV siganl flow;

Mono note

interval out ---> CV delay 1 in

Gate out ---> CV delay 2 in

Velocity out----> CV delay 3 in

CV delay 1+2+3 to Note Generator Interval,Gate and Velocity in

PLUS Interval out to CV delay to NoteGenerator sub output 1 +2

You could choose a to make a chord or note cluster follow your mono note single line, or even use two note Generators one delayed and one non delayed for having a chordal Canon!

As to inputs on the Delay monster I'm still refining the setup and will spill the beans about what it's all about sometime next week.. But Diego being the first to answer this post, gets the Delay for sure..

I'm would be touchy about just posting as a freebie my Delay monsters to just any casual lurkers, or non contributors, but the folks that have made their presence felt and have helped out before with problem solving will be in the running for getting a Delay monster, I figure it will take about 30 hours to make.. But will be used by me for a whole new direction in sound making..

It's also making me find to groundbreaking ways to handle small niggaly problems that become big hurdles when working in monster mode..
Thanks for this but my contribute isn't so great.. i'm self educate in music so don't have great skill but i really want collaborate more and more .
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Wow Jonahs!

You think up some pretty interesting twists on the Dealy model, I'll definetly pick through your post and comment it as some point, probably late at night.

The ideas are good for creating some interesting effects... But midi delay as I've experienced it is more polyphonic than the system that you describe would easily allow.. But perhaps if you had a midi delay output that you could feed into one of your shift delay machines it could add another level of complexity or richness or just plain useful noise to the mix..

I like what I'm reading in your post though..

What i'd like to see would be what some of the real Numerology pros, like jue, or Sjoerd among others have to say about the matter...

Then there's all the new Binary Tenary Unirary op modules that would make al kinds of logical type filtering of control signals and note input signals to the Delay possible.. All this is still over my head, but with time I will master these tools as well..

I'm more of the Brute force variety of sound monster design, but see my lasted Global Editing post to know where Brutes can go right into a cave full of gold and diamonds and more likely a dragon lurking somewhere too.

Thanks for the inputs.. Five days left before I devulge the secrets...

For your helpful post jonahs I'm putting your name on the gets one too list..

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-07-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this but my contribute isn't so great.. i'm self educate in music so don't have great skill but i really want collaborate more and more .
I recall you coming with lots of good points and encouragement, so don't downplay your skills.. Also most of my midi skills and computer skills are self taught as well. We had computers+ music software course at the Conservatory in Copenhagen, but it was all a little too esoteric to be much use in practice.. although it was a good introduction to the field, it wasn't for developing the hands on skills.. That I've had to learn mostly through trial and error. Our instructor was a Composer, and not really that great an example as far as methodically working out of problems and workflow, that would have been much more useful info at that point in the game then introducing us to the idea of neural networks, on the first day of a computer music course!!!

Thanks for Contributing..Deigo!!

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-07-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I recall you coming with lots of good points and encouragement, so don't downplay your skills.. Also most of my midi skills and computer skills are self taught as well. We had computers+ music software course at the Conservatory in Copenhagen, but it was all a little too esoteric to be much use in practice.. although it was a good introduction to the field, it wasn't for developing the hands on skills.. That I've had to learn mostly through trial and error. Our instructor was a Composer, and not really that great an example as far as methodically working out of problems and workflow, that would have been much more useful info at that point in the game then introducing us to the idea of neural networks, on the first day of a computer music course!!!

Thanks for Contributing..Deigo!!
thanks for your words Wade.
I think that here we all can do a great collaborative work, I.E. i'm really interested in reproduce in numerology some eurorack modules and i like exchange ideas and project about this, but i'll open another post on this.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
i've tried to do a little stack using the CV delay to implement a midi delay, is a first try.. so don't be severe with me
It looks good -- about what I would put together as a demonstration. What Wade is doing has gone into completely new territory : a polyphonic live-MIDI-input delay with significant processing options.

BTW, Guys, you know it might just work to pound on me and ask for a built-in MIDI delay, they aren't *that* hard to write... But then, when you build your own, you find all sorts of interesting new tricks....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Default Pound Pound Poun oun un ou ound ound p -d-d-d-d-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
It looks good -- about what I would put together as a demonstration. What Wade is doing has gone into completely new territory : a polyphonic live-MIDI-input delay with significant processing options.

BTW, Guys, you know it might just work to pound on me and ask for a built-in MIDI delay, they aren't *that* hard to write... But then, when you build your own, you find all sorts of interesting new tricks....

Cheers,
Jim
We would love a simple midi delay, also a midi latency delay correction with positive values, I have this idea...

Wade
Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 AM

Default Playing my midi delay august 2012

I've revisted my midi delay project.

I had spent around 80 hours figuring this out setting it up wiring it, I think there's maybe 100,000 connections in the thing.

It uses 96 sequencers with filtered note input to give access to four octaves of four note polyphonic 16 tap output for every two scale tones..

There are controls for controlling Clock Division on a per octave basis.

There are controls for setting the Sequence start step on a per octave basis.

I've implented a Mass editor so I can edit on a per octive basis things like gate lengths, velocity.

I think for midi pitch effects I'll add midi transform modules in the sounds stacks with realtime controls for pitch transposition, and perhaps randomization.

Maybe it's soon time to post the Midi Delay as the Numerology user base gets more powerful computers that can handle this beast..

The power when playing this thing makes it seem like the walls of the house are being shattered into a million pieces..

I was working for an hour or so on getting the Mass editor assigned to the GateLength and Velocity parameters. Only needs doing 96 times for each parameter type... So it's a whizz...

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-27-2012 at 05:19 AM.