Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 AM

Default Shift your note divides to create variation!

My numerology sequences get interesting fast, but without variation they become static, and boring or even just irritatingly mundane.

To address this I've made all kinds of refinements to the way I work my material using the many tools available to me in Numerology.

The goal in this example is to shift my note divides through a sequence to create rythmic variation.

To do this I use a Velocity sequencer and patche its CV stepnumber output into a paramod with mod destination the same parmod module index two, then I set velocity sequencers velocity range to 1-16. I patch the velocity out to paramod slot 2. with a destination Mono note, parameter: Divide.

Using a Velocity sequencer setup like this I can use it to program note divide values remotely in a destination mono note.

Why not do this on the mono note directly? Because I have set up one more modulation for another level of control.

I route an additional gate sequencer into a paramod And set it to send a gate on after 12 beats with a destination the Velocity sequencer, the parameter, shift right. Now my note divides shift through the whole sequence one step every 12 beats, this is crazy cool to keep the sequence ever changing in a cohesive way...Say I program note divides on step 2 6 and 9 want to change it two steps every 12 beats, just make two gate ons to shift on beat 11 and 12 for example, next time the mono not plays throught steps 4 8 and 11 are divided by the amount I've set on the Velocity sequencer,

This moving of the parameter adjustments for one individual parameter through a sequences using shift left of right, opens up allkinds of hooks into the mono note, use it for divide, not length, velocity, pitch, gate and get a much more lively, living and breathing output out of your sequences..

For this setup up the modules used are:

1 Gate sequencer(the shifter)
2 paramod modules, one for the shifter and a 2nd parmod slot one for aligning the step number and slot two for sending the divide value.
1 Velocity sequencer
1 mononote or other sequencer.
a sound module of choice.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-03-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Thank you for this. It seems so obvious now, but I've never thought of using Paramod to target its second Paramindex. This has opened up lots of new possibilities.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasha View Post
Thank you for this. It seems so obvious now, but I've never thought of using Paramod to target its second Paramindex. This has opened up lots of new possibilities.
I can't recall how i figured this out the first time, but I think the CV step out on the Interval, Gate, and Velocity and Modulation sequencers are a very slick tool. Not only can they be used for aligning the step values between two sequencers as in this case. But they also can be used I believe for sending the numbers out as absolute values for modulation puposes or running through a series of samples in a Drum sampler module..this is tricky but very doable, using a Signal processing module..

If you like this kind of work you might find my stack the 'Remote Editor stack interesting it's found under File exchange Stacks, the Remote Editor.

Also the Global Lfo stack under Projects has some slick routing and uses the Binary and Teniary ops in sophisticated ways to create ratio based Lfo periods.. between upto 8 Lfos at once..

Glad you found the shifter useful.. I usually report things I discover as soon as I can.. As the market is somewhat fickle these days, and I want my program of choice to survive the crunch.. What better way to assure it's success and survival than to help others to see it's value?

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:16 AM

Default I post example of shift divide

At the request of another forum member I post an example project of the shift divide idea..Uses apple DLS synth..

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ex_shift-divide.zip (32.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks Wade for posting this.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 AM

Your welcome!

This is one of my favourite methods for creating variation. Keep checking the Tips and Tricks thread though, I'm constantly discovering and posting new variations on this technique.

Wade