Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-17-2018, 07:44 AM

Default Tips for piano roll-type recording?

I'm trying to find a method to 'play-in' midi recording within Numerology as you would in a standard DAW.

Ideally, I could select/create a stack, select/create a preset, hit record, get a metronome pre-roll and play-in a melody, capturing it as a midi recording and click stop.

I've tried working with Image Line's Mini Modular host and that hasn't been successful. Does anyone have a method or am I stuck with using some sort of ReWire functionality?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
I'm trying to find a method to 'play-in' midi recording within Numerology as you would in a standard DAW.

Ideally, I could select/create a stack, select/create a preset, hit record, get a metronome pre-roll and play-in a melody, capturing it as a midi recording and click stop.

I've tried working with Image Line's Mini Modular host and that hasn't been successful. Does anyone have a method or am I stuck with using some sort of ReWire functionality?
Hi,
1- Do you want to be able to record + edit your midi data ?
If yes, I think you are better to find a decent host to do that.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
Since all of Numerology's sequencer modules are true step sequencers, you can't get exactly the same results. In particular, everything gets quantized to the rate of the sequence (i.e. 1/16th notes by default), and you're limited to sequences of 128 steps. However, if you can live with those limitations, you can get pretty good results with realtime record on the PolyNote.

Jim
Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM

That works!

I see your point about limitations - it is still a quantized performance so not really rubato-ready. You also have to create a pre-roll if needed. N4SE also is a bit of a limitation because you can't undo and re-record quickly. But it does work.

Interestingly I tried the same thing with Mononote and you can come up with some very interesting musical phrases if you loop in RT Rec mode.