Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 04-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Numerology 4.2 and Launchpad Mini Glitchiness

Has anyone used the latest OS X version of Numerology Pro (4.2 Built 170, I believe) with a LaunchPad Mini Mk.1?

I've just plugged mine in for the first time, and created a single DrumSeq-8 instance, and am getting some quite glitchy behaviour.

On the first page, most things seem to work, except that button 2 at the top doesn't light, and button 7 is permanently on.

Of the buttons down the right side, button C is flashing amber, apparently any time a trigger is sent on any of the channels.

Also button 5C seems to flash in time with the triggers on the first channel, and doesn't change colour when pressed (though triggers are sent as they should be).

The other screens (accessed with the right-side buttons), all seems more or less f*cked up, in various ways.

Anyone else experiencing any of these issues? It seems quite unusable at the moment. I can't really tell if pushing the buttons on the various pages actually does what it should, but certainly the visual feedback is broken, at least with my setup.

a|x
Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Administrator

It sounds like something else is sending MIDI to the Launchpad as well. The first thing to do is check if any other music apps are running -- in particular Ableton Live, which will automatically detect and use the Launchpad. For details on using the Launchpad with both Numerology and Live, see page 71 of the manual.

The next thing to check is if one of the Numerology stacks is sending MIDI to the Launchpad: Check the Stack Outs on all your stacks to see where MIDI is going.

Let me know if that helps!
Jim
Old 04-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for getting back to me.
I wasn't running any other MIDI-enabled software at the same time as Numerology.

I tried restarting the machine (a MacBook Pro, running El Capitan), and unplugging and replugging the LaunchPad.

I will double-check the stack output.

a|x

Last edited by toneburst; 05-01-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 AM

Stack output was set to LaunchPad, so that wasn't the issue, either.

I've been developing an application that used the LaunchPad myself (actually, a set of custom objects for the Axoloti platform).

Could it be that the issue is caused by something left in the flash memory of the LaunchPad from those experiments?

Does Numerology send a Reset command to the LaunchPad before it tries to use it?

a|x
Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneburst View Post
Stack output was set to LaunchPad, so that wasn't the issue, either.
? .... if the output of any stack is being sent directly to the Launchpad, that will definitely cause issues. Only in the Controller Setup should you have anything set to send MIDI to the Launchpad.

Quote:
I've been developing an application that used the LaunchPad myself (actually, a set of custom objects for the Axoloti platform).

Could it be that the issue is caused by something left in the flash memory of the LaunchPad from those experiments?
If you were just sending MIDI notes and CCs, that will not be an issue -- if you're actually changing the firmware, that's a different thing...

Quote:
Does Numerology send a Reset command to the LaunchPad before it tries to use it?
It does on shutdown, but I don't think so on startup.

Jim
Old 05-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Ah, apologies. I will look into the controller setup. It's a while since I used Numerology (from lack of free time, more than anything, sadly).

Thanks for your patience, Jim.

a|x
Old 05-02-2017, 05:32 PM

I changed the stack output so it wasn't sending to the LaunchPad, and made sure it was setup as a controller, and all now seems to be working as it should
I can see why it must have been getting confused, if it was receiving MIDI notes from the drum sequencer in the stack...

Thanks again Jim,

a|x

Last edited by toneburst; 05-02-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:12 PM

Default Launchpad mini NSe4 glitchiness

I Picked up a launchpad mini yesterday. It wasn’t too hard to get going but after a few button presses lots of pads start flashing and control jumps to another rack page. 1-8 and A-H flash as well and it will crashes. I works for a little while and then just goes haywire. Midi is not sent out to launchpad from any stacks. N SE4 Build 176. Maybe there's something wrong my macbook pro? Has anyone else experience anything like this?

Last edited by NathanMac; 03-25-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMac View Post
I Picked up a launchpad mini yesterday. It wasn’t too hard to get going but after a few button presses lots of pads start flashing and control jumps to another rack page. 1-8 and A-H flash as well and it will crashes. I works for a little while and then just goes haywire. Midi is not sent out to launchpad from any stacks. N SE4 Build 176. Maybe there's something wrong my macbook pro? Has anyone else experience anything like this?
Are there any other MIDI apps running? -- Ableton Live in particular...

Also: are you using a USB hub?

Jim