Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Default help with midi/audio routing

Context - I used to use Numerology a lot, but have used exclusively hardware sequencers in the last few years. I had a revelation - that since I'm using the computer more extensively these days, I should try out Numerology again. I updated from 4.0 to 4.2 (i had upgraded to numerology pro 4, but then really never used it).

But I'm immediately running into an issue. It may be due to spotty memory about how to use it, and/or new features of version 4, but something seems a bit amiss. I sent a support email, but I thought I'd try here too since it's a sunday, and I really wanting to get this up and running today.

I thought I'd get started with the simplest sequencing, using the standalone version, using a mononote sequence sent to an external synth. In the main stack window, I can choose the midi out port, as well as the audio in, and audio out. The midi out worked w/o a problem, and I can see the indicators showing audio coming in, but no audio is going out. Hence I hear nothing. I've double checked with Cubase, and I have the aggregate audio device set up the same way, so in theory it should be working, unless I have to set up the audio elsewhere.

but what I"m also finding is that if I save, then quit Numerology, when I come back, all of these routings - midi and audio - have only 'none' available. the midi seems to still work, but I wouldn't be able to choose another midi destination, because there is nothing in the drop down. If I create a new stack, they are all there, but the same thing happens if I save, quit, and then come back. Nothing at all available in the menu.

i'm using os x 10.11.5, and while I had everything ported over, I have not used Numerology on this computer before. But I somehow doubt that this is the issue. I have lots of midi devices, and I have 3 audio interfaces in my aggregate setup (though I tried this with just 1, and the same thing happened).

is this one of those 'delete all preferences and reinstall' type situations? Or am I missing something in the Numerology setup? Am I forgetting something really basic?

EDIT: deleted preferences (not sure if I got them all) and reinstalled. I still had the same issue. However, when I changed the preference to start with a new project, and then reloaded the most recent one, the menu choices returned. I still cannot get audio out. I'll mess with that a bit more.

EDIT 2: ok - needed to route the audio in the routings window. Now it's all working. Sorry for the drama. But I still am puzzled by why I need to open with a new project in order for the midi and audio menus to show my choices in the dropdown menus.

Last edited by droolmaster0; 03-18-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Administrator

First, make sure you have the latest build installed:
http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=3534

If that isn't it, email me a screenshot of your MIDI output menu
when everything is right, and another when it isn't.
(jim (at) five12 (dot) com)

Thanks!
Jim
Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
First, make sure you have the latest build installed:
http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=3534

If that isn't it, email me a screenshot of your MIDI output menu
when everything is right, and another when it isn't.
(jim (at) five12 (dot) com)

Thanks!
Jim
I encountered the problem with that version. When I re-installed, it was build 175, which I haven't updated yet. I'll retest with build 178, but (given how I encountered the issue) don't entirely expect a difference).

In any case - what MIDI output menu are you referring to? the one that I'm referring to above? (just asking because there is either a list of midi devices there, or there isn't - no ambiguity that I could see).
Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Administrator

The MIDI Out menu in the Stack Output module. Click on the menu so you can see all the entries, then use Use Cmd+Shift+3 to capture the entire screen -- grabbing a pop-up menu is rather tricky otherwise...

Jim
Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The MIDI Out menu in the Stack Output module. Click on the menu so you can see all the entries, then use Use Cmd+Shift+3 to capture the entire screen -- grabbing a pop-up menu is rather tricky otherwise...

Jim
At work. Will do later. I have TONS of midi devices, so I'm not sure, in the abstract, whether all of them would be captured.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
At work. Will do later. I have TONS of midi devices, so I'm not sure, in the abstract, whether all of them would be captured.
Interesting -- you might have hit some internal limit I have forgotten about.

One other thing to do: Hold down the shift key and start N4 standalone. Confirm you want to start in debug mode. When it has finished starting up, use "Contact Five12" in the Numerology menu to report a bug -- that will email me a detailed log file.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Interesting -- you might have hit some internal limit I have forgotten about.

One other thing to do: Hold down the shift key and start N4 standalone. Confirm you want to start in debug mode. When it has finished starting up, use "Contact Five12" in the Numerology menu to report a bug -- that will email me a detailed log file.

Cheers,
Jim
Sure. I'll do that in the context where the menus are blank.