Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Default Numerology 4 Build 144

This about wraps it up for new stuff going into 4.0, the 'mixer' controller setup and the sound library are the two new surprises...

http://www.five12.com/NumerologyPro-4.0-Build144.dmg
http://www.five12.com/NumerologySE-4.0-Build144.dmg

Numerology 4 Build 144:

Updated Manual : Finally, updates to the doc are finished. Don't hesitate to ding me on any missing, mis-spelled or mis-whatever items. I've gone over it a couple times, but I always miss stuff.... I plan to start doing some new videos next week -- starting with new features...

New Sound Library:

In addition to the four new demo tracks with N4, I have been working with a very talented sound designer to add a bunch of new samples, built-in patches for the SampleKit, all-new stacks and even a few more demo tracks. There are several nice things this gets us all: 

- About 220MB of some really nice samples. Regardless of how many gigs of stuff you already have, or how many hardware synths, there are some really nice things in here I'm sure you will find useful. They'll all show up in a new 'Factory Audio' folder in the Audio tab of the browser.

- There is a set of 15 SampleKit patches in the main modules browser -- in a new folder called 'Sounds'. It's all just drum kits for now, I'll add a couple of pitched patches soon.

- Also, 15 new stacks in the factory stack library -- I'll be adding more soon...

- Several new demo tracks -- all setup to show some Numerology-specific tricks, so don't just listen, poke around to see how stuff works...

A few details:

- The audio files are in a format specific to Numerology...
- I will build an alternate download that doesn't include all the samples, but you'll need to install the big download at least once so that the stacks, sample kit patches and such actually work.
- Be sure to see the note on the improved Audio Preview function below…

Mixer Controllers (MIDI & OSC):

This is a new controller mapping for controllers that "look like mixers" -- i.e. they have controls grouped into sets/groups/channels of (at least) 8, where each set has some number of buttons/knobs/faders. The LaunchControl and LaunchControl XL fit this description, as do many others.

This is a generic mapping, meaning that it doesn't offer any controller-specific goodies, but it will work with just about anything that has at least 8 of something. And, it will be a nice base from which to build controller-specific mappings for things like the LaunchControl family, as well as APC based controllers (I have a grumpy APC 40 looking at me right now).

For those of you w/ N4 PRO, there is a variant for OSC-based controllers too!

For details on use and setup, see the all-new-updated doc in the manual -- Chapter 20. Be sure to note the comments on mixing-and-matching this setup w/ the transport controller setup as well.

There are a couple of important items that are missing: Support for controllers that send 'incremental' MIDI CCs, as well as a 'pass thru' mode -- both of which I know are important, so they're pretty high on the list to add soon...

Sample Kit:

- Fixed some glitches in the envelopes
- Tweaked envelope response to be 'punchier', when set accordingly.
- Fixed a layout bug (waveform not widening w/ window)

Other Fixes & Updates:

- Placeholder modules : Now work with the SampleKit & Built-in FX

- Audio Preview : The play button now 'sticks': Pick an audio file, hit Play. Now click another file, it plays automatically. Use up/down cursor keys to preview large numbers of files quickly.

- Audio Preview : I removed the waveform display, it had issues. A better one will come later.

- Grid Controllers and DrumSeq : Fixed some issues editing tracks 9-16.

- Remote Setup : Added hints for both the Launchpad & Push setup pages.

- ReWire Installation : Changed the install script logic to not try to install the ReWire driver if rewire installation is disabled.

- LFO/ParamMod on MonoNote Start Step : fixed a 'reset on set start step' bug.

- CV Switch : Fixed an issue where the UI for the switch value was not updated properly on file load.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 AM

Jim:

Great news, esp. having the documentation now. You mention 15 new factory stacks - I show a total of only 14 after installation, and had a number before the update....am I missing something?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:33 PM

had a quick play, really like the new stacks and sound library,
its nice to have something, you can put together quickly without having to dig around for samples etc.

good to hear release is close
Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrystal View Post
Jim:

Great news, esp. having the documentation now. You mention 15 new factory stacks - I show a total of only 14 after installation, and had a number before the update....am I missing something?
Nope -- I probably mis-counted. I'll be adding more soon, and am starting to think I should categorize them....

Anyone looking for some (self-contained) example stacks, now's the time to ask!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Nope -- I probably mis-counted. I'll be adding more soon, and am starting to think I should categorize them....

Anyone looking for some (self-contained) example stacks, now's the time to ask!

Cheers,
Jim
I would like to see a kind of evolving soundscape stack. BTW what kind of file format is .fa for the sounds ?
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 AM

the description implied .fa is a five12 specific format... perhaps contains extra metadata?
your still able to drag and drop .wav files for your own samples.

jim, is there any reason we should want to be able export our own samples as .fa? (efficiency?)

had a bit more of a play, one 'oddity', if you drag in a new sound on an existing one i.e. to replace the module. (load module preset)
a couple of odd things happen:
i) the name is not changed to reflect the new sound
ii) the modules tabs, switches to focus: sound name , which means its an empty list.
I guess I'm surprised they don't show under 'sample kit'
iii) I now have user modules for 'sample kit' and 'samplekit' is the later the old one? (I'm thinking i can clean it up a bit)
iv) UI resizing oddity... theres a few ways to do 'provoke this', but simplest is:
- load housedrumsa (its fully expanded by default)
- now drag on samplekit-basic as load module preset, it will remain 16U high, with only the bottom one filled

an 'idea', I think id prefer these multiparts to be 'semi minimised' by default, i.e. so you just see the buffer/volume, then i can choose to expand all, or the on I'm interested in... otherwise when you bring them in, you have to scroll back up to the top to find the minimise button
(I like to see as much of the stack as possible)

Im not sure this is new or not, but DrumSeq, now seems to have lots of drop targets... is this a new feature?(i.e. you can just load seq, rate controls, or the whole thing?)
( you can't do the same thing on say mono note, which is why i ask )

anyway, as I said above, its really looking good!
(sorry not read manual yet)

more examples/stacks...
Id love to see one focused on 'live' performance use.
e.g. perhaps one where you record live midi from a keyboard into a sequencer, and them you start 'tweaking/evolving' with the midi sequence you just recorded.

(this is an area Im keen to explore, and I've tried this a few time, but always encounter issues with the record such that the loops are not contiguous - i know I own you a video of this issue )

i guess newcomers might also like to see how faders etc can be integrated

but its all new to me, so Im enjoying and learning from anything you put together
Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks for update!

I am curious about the new Mixer Controller. From the manual p.20:
To setup a MIDI or OSC controller as a Mixer Remote, use the Controller Setup dialog, acessible from the
Numerology menu. In that dialog, use the action menu at the lower left corner of the controller list and
choose either “Add Setup: MIDI Mix (8 Ch per bank)”, or “Add Setup: OSC Mix (8 Ch per bank)”.

In the Controller Setup dialog I cannot see option to choose Add Setup: MIDI Mix or OSC Mix. Should it be there already?

Thx,
P
Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Thumbs up Very glad with the stacks !

Hey Guys ,
I am very glad with the stacks and the manual !!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaine View Post
In the Controller Setup dialog I cannot see option to choose Add Setup: MIDI Mix or OSC Mix. Should it be there already?
My bad, there was a 'guard' keeping these items invisible for most users, and, of course, that was the one thing I didn't test on my other laptop.... Fix build coming shortly...

Jim
Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechnobear View Post
the description implied .fa is a five12 specific format... perhaps contains extra metadata?
your still able to drag and drop .wav files for your own samples.

jim, is there any reason we should want to be able export our own samples as .fa? (efficiency?)
Nope -- not at this point anyway. It's just a way for me to have sounds that are just for Numerology, and provide some flexibility in how they're stored.

Quote:
had a bit more of a play, one 'oddity', if you drag in a new sound on an existing one i.e. to replace the module. (load module preset)
a couple of odd things happen:
i) the name is not changed to reflect the new sound
ii) the modules tabs, switches to focus: sound name , which means its an empty list.
I guess I'm surprised they don't show under 'sample kit'
iii) I now have user modules for 'sample kit' and 'samplekit' is the later the old one? (I'm thinking i can clean it up a bit)
iv) UI resizing oddity... theres a few ways to do 'provoke this', but simplest is:
- load housedrumsa (its fully expanded by default)
- now drag on samplekit-basic as load module preset, it will remain 16U high, with only the bottom one filled
I'll run some checks -- I think module name should probably remain the same, that has been the default for loading presets so far...

Quote:
an 'idea', I think id prefer these multiparts to be 'semi minimised' by default, i.e. so you just see the buffer/volume, then i can choose to expand all, or the on I'm interested in... otherwise when you bring them in, you have to scroll back up to the top to find the minimise button
(I like to see as much of the stack as possible)
A good point, I will think about that one. An existing issue is that the minimize settings for parts are not stored w/ the project yet. An easy fix, but not a high priority just yet...

Quote:
Im not sure this is new or not, but DrumSeq, now seems to have lots of drop targets... is this a new feature?(i.e. you can just load seq, rate controls, or the whole thing?)
( you can't do the same thing on say mono note, which is why i ask )
iz bug!

Quote:
anyway, as I said above, its really looking good! (sorry not read manual yet)
Thanks! The manual really hasn't changed all that much, mostly just updating the main bits to cover the browser, and some big updates for all the new controller options...

Quote:
more examples/stacks...
Id love to see one focused on 'live' performance use.
e.g. perhaps one where you record live midi from a keyboard into a sequencer, and them you start 'tweaking/evolving' with the midi sequence you just recorded.
Probably a video will help that the most, but I can think of a couple interesting stack options that could incorporate internal pattern recording...

Cheers,
Jim