Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Projects

Old 09-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Default The Wavetable instrument a Numerology first!

Well this will probably be my first or the first project stack instrument. Note: Feb 06 2012 I have uploaded a sample project using the Wavetable synth. page two thrid post of this thread. end Note.

It's the too wonderful, and hard to describe Numerology Wavetable synth..

How the, I just don’t kn.. , well he, ohhhh no! not another crazy idea from TwoToneshuzz!!

32 Numerology samplers loaded with genetic sound material form the Galbanum Architecture 2010, sound library good stuff. Jues Waves from his Wave sound project are just as good but I need the documentation, the Galbanum stuff has a fairly okay documentation for the 26000 waves in the library..

The specs of the Numerology Wavetabel synth

Sample Synth
Overview. taken and simplyfied from the Numerology Manual

RAM-based polyphonic sample player.
with a built-in AHDSR envelope
looping controls
a wide tuning range
adjustable velocity sensitivity.

The Attack, Hold, Decay and Release enevelope times range from 0.0001 to 10 seconds.
knobs have a taper function that gives finer control for smaller values.

Tuning
range of +/- 60 semitones (5 octaves in each
direction).
Loop
Auto Play
starts on start/stop follows transport

X-Fade
Sets the cross-fade amount ranges from 0.0 (no loop) to 1.0 (fully
cross-faded).
CP : Constant Pitch important parametre for the wavetable synth!

filter types: LowPass, High Pass or Band Pass.
Filter Cutoff
Resonance

Filter with resonance self oscillation at high settings.
Envelope Amount

Filter Env. Attack
Filter Env. Hold
range is from 0.0001 to 10 seconds
Filter Env. Decay
Filter Env. Sustain
The range is 0.0 to 1.0.
Filter Env. Release

Amp Env
Attack Hold Decay Release Times are the same as the filter envelope.
Pan
In monophonic mode with constant-power pan control
In stereo mode with balance control.
Volume
maximum gain is approx 6 dB.

1 lfo per voice
5 hard wired mod destinations on the sampler itself.

End of Sampler spec section from manual

I've set it up so it gives
8 polyphonic voices:

32 two waves, for sequencial playback over a maximum of 8 polyphonic voices.

Building on the samples own features together with long list of modules it was easy to make the wave table synth on a basic level:

32 samplers full of what a half a mb of sound data?

Playback engine while editing.
4 mono notes In Evolve auto mode for playback and sound design duties. I’ve not used Evolve very much but have to admit I am delighted with the results I’m getting from having my 4 mono notes in Evolve auto mode, I just disabled the gates evolve function.

Additionaly for playback I’ve setup a Harmony stack with 4 inteval sequencers patched to the mono notes interval in so I have a central spot from which to work structural control of harmonic content.

8 dual lfos driving amplitude and filter on the voices at the audio mixer level. Remember these lfos are in addition to each singles waves own lfo. so really there is at least 48 lfos availble for modulation of the 8 polyphonic voices of the Numerology Wavetable synth.

I had the idea that even though I only need single mode Lfo’s by using Dual lfos I save a lot of space in the rack, plus should I need to use the dual mode then there are already to go..

Wave table playback engine
8 stereo Audio switches 4 into 1. these sum the 32 single wave samples into 8 summed outputs that comprise the 8 voices of the Numerology Wavetable synth. One could change it around so 8 samples in a wavetable and 4 voices if so desired.. Note when I say voices it really is a 8 voice multi timbral setup. Each voice is a polyphonic instrument in its own right.

8 gates for triggering the 8 Aduio switches. I've placed these directly over the 8 to 1 audio switches so I have an overview. With these I can trigger the speed, that is the step length of each wave as the sequence moves through the wavetables. You can also set the audio switch in “Clocked” modus but that would mean you would not have individual control over the steps..

For live playing if you want to control the wavesequences to always start with a new note on you will have to setup this patch:

Take live midi input and split it

Dest 1 midi in on the 8 sampler voices per instruments.. As normal

Dest 2 a midi to CV converter placed at the top of the wavetrigger stack Take the gate out from the midi to CV converter and connect it to the trigger in to the first of a two gate chain, the gate input goes into a gate trigger that functions as a type trigger to the step number converter if you will, Set the first gate to CV trigger play mode, loop off, reset on. The trigger converter(counter) gate CV step number out output is connected tot the Progam in on The Audio switch, The audio switch is set to sequenced mode.

1 gate for sending triggers to an envelope through the CV 1-8 switch for extra modulation tasks for example "detune".

If you want individual control for each voice of the Numerology Wavetable synth then you will have to of course have eight envelopes routed to the eight sampler voices using four paramodules. These envelopes don’t have to used, then set them to off. Also they can be repurposed so perhaps voice 3 gets 2 envelopes or more, while some of the other voices won’t use external modulation. This little detail again underlines the strong points of a modular setup. Using presets I could have a patch with three envelopes doing crazy things to voice 3 and then in the next preset each voice will have modulation from one envelope each...

To increase your moduation possiblities duplicate the stack and change the destination modules and modulation parameters

I’m using two single envelope mod stacks in my proto Numerology Wavetable synth.

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-25-2011 at 02:50 AM.

* #2 *
Today, 01:11 AM
TwoToneshuzz

Wave table work bench.

I'm getting my Numerology wavetable synth fleshed out.

Aside from Numerologies own sampler many useful built in features, I got my set running smoothly now, so I'd like to share my experience with the collective..

I set it up as mentioned about with 32 single sampler voices..

This is massive bank of sounds as 32 sample can play polyphonically..

I'll save anyone the trouble, who has lesser specification imac 2.4 ghz 4Gb ram as I do..

I can't play 10 notes across 8 voices simultaneously!! No 80 note polyphony awwhhhhhh!

The 32 voices are used for playing back 8 voices of 4 "sequences" each. Now when I've set sequences in brackets it's becomes the terminology is a little trickly but I believe there is a distinction made between Wavesequences and Wavetables.. Wavesequencers are distinct steps in sequence that can be easily got and changed, while Wavetables are soundfiles as containers for a file of sounds that have been melded together in an audio editor so they appear as one entity..

Quite obviously if you want to have alot of voices running then finding your waves, and then "commpanding" them sequencially in an audio editor is going to give you the least CPU load..

You'll also beable to use 8 or 10 different waves to make your sound..

Then you would have to setup carefully presets or modulations if you wanted to have the loop focus on just a single wave.. I'm not sure how feasible this changing of the start and end points for this type of work.. The idea here is to create a sound based on one wave form period, so moving throught the list of a wavetable as one file might be at crosspurposes..

One important point though if you lose the discreet aspect of each indivdual wave by crossfading them when you edit series of wave together into one wave file ithe crossfading will radically change the sound. It's the period and what happens during that period that makes the up the sounds timbral qualities, change the period and it's no longer a basic building block, the whole thing would become a muddy unpredictable mess.

The beauty of keep the waves discreet in it's own sampler is that will always maintain it's building block functionallity.. The disadvantage is you end up with a lot of modules for just a few voices..

Oh but what voices.

One voice:

comprised of:

4 samplers

1 audio switch 4-1 set to crossfade 0

1 audio channel on a audio mixer

one external Lfo for modulation

2 external envelopes for modulation. I've set the enevolpes to work on a global basis for all sampler voices which isn't really workable it gives interestning possiblities to work with global envelopes for 8 instruments voice but in the end it will be more workable with 2 external envelopes per voice.

one external eq for additional shaping of the sound. I'm going to use Filterscape or Filterscape Q6 or the UHBIK Eq for this.

effects to shape the sound further, I think using the UHBIK S frequency shifter or the UHBIK G granular effects are likely candidates for working with the material

final a Reverb Valhalla room and shimmer are great the UHBIK A is perhaps less CPU intensive.

The main timbral quality is in the waves, and the interaction of parallel wave with one another..

Remember my post are living posts, that is as I discover new things, find spelling mistakes inaccuracies or find better ways to describe things, I change it. My own personal Wiki!!

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-06-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Numerology Wavetable instrument revised with Example

I've revised the design of the Numerology Wavetable instrument considerably today.

4 drums synths instead of 32 seperate samplers

1 drumskit synths been turned into an 8 "wave fo" modulation bank.

I don't need as many triggers for the samplers now so 4 gate triggers are enough.

I mucked around trying to get a automated sample loading set up.

I have a samplecell II , it had a little applet you could have on your desktop, and just drag your samples onto that. The program would load and map the samples for you automatically.. That was as most 20 years ago..

Anyways I tried and failed to get keyboard męstro to do something similiar. I ended up with a pretty simple and easy way to do it manually I'll take a screen shot next time I use it.

It was very both interesting and fun to setup a 8 waveform based lfo bank using a drumkit synth.. Suddenly you have this great overview of a bunch of Lfos, in one spot.. The multi audio outputs from the Drumkit go to 8 envelope followers and from there into a signalproccessor, and then the signal is spit out to a CV mixer scope for diagnostics and perhaps mixing. and then out to the paramods bank.. An elegant solution for getting the modulations to focus on just the active Wavetable Wave in one of the Drumkit sample pads, is to use the paramindex trick. This reduces the number of parmodules slots to send the Lfo's to 2 instead of eight.

This is fast enough to set up. For getting access to more parameters I'll just have to duplicate the stack and then change the parametre value field in slot 2 slots for each of the 4 drumkits very easy. This I can do for 3 or 4 relevant parametres on the sample.. The beauty of this setup is that I can then export the stacks and only reimport them when I need the modulations.

Here is a sample of my Wavetable instrument.

all sounds are Numerology generated from 5 drumkits synths. I had downloaded a free drum library at some point so I loaded a few of the sounds into a drumkits plus the 4 drumkits that were used for the 4x 8 wavetable sequencers.

I used one instance of Ultra Analog. the string pad.

I used two reverbs Valhalla Room and Valhalla shimmer.

I used two Uhbiks 1.G (granular) and 2. S (frequency shifter)

I used too much time setting all this up. But now I have my very own Wavetable synth. With a library of 28000 waveforms to load into it. the Wave forms From Jue, beautiful work, and the Galabanum stuff. Plus all the other free stuff I've down load like the recent Gamelan samples that Foreward has made a post about.

Wavetable instrument track © Wade Mattson 2011

http://www.box.net/shared/v6f73xpa3poqr7snn245

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-27-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 AM

Default Screen shot Loading Sampler

I promised a screenshot of my sample loading setup.

What you see above is Sample loader desktop.

It's carefully setup for loading samples after some thought.

The Numerology app window has the Wavetable synths sample player Drumkit open.

I drag samples into the slots.

To the left I've set up my finder window so it shows the symbols of the samples instead of the list view.

It's easier to grab the large symbols and easier to keep track of what I've loaded this way.

It was also possible to alter the finders overview window when you choose to "show symbols" You can change the background color, symbols placement, text placement, grid size and font size..

On the places side bar of my super sample loader window I eliminated all clutter and just made a list of folders I use for Numerology sample loading.

The Galbanum Architecture waves folder, a "Load a drumsampler folder", where I can place copies of sets temporarily if I'm getting into making complex sets of multisamples instruments. It is here I will invoke the "Rename App" for making order and sense out of multi sample instruments. "Rename" is freeware/shareware put an alias of that right in yur Sample loader folder. It does many of the usefull things that the paid for database programs do.

Then there is a Alias for the Drumkit modules preset settings,(found in Applicaion support/Five12) so i can order the many Wavetable synths sound banks.

I also place any additional aliases of folders with samples libraries on the places list as I find and and use them. I could make a subfolder here if it gets to be to crowded but right now there is plenty of room for expansion..

Underneath the Fileloading window are the four settings palettes with my Wavetable synths with these I can quickly load available presets it's also here I have my initialized drum kit that's setup for Wavetable playback.

Finally underneath the Numerology App window I have Acrobat open with the Sample library document.. This is a tremendously important aspect of sound design, the documentation. Acquiring it, ordering it, and Finding it, and is extremely important if you want to improve your workflow. Thats why huge masses of undocumented sounds and presets, are more of a burden that a boon.

Finding information on a samples relevant applications and sound category has to be fast and intuitive. When I open my Architecture folder with it's thousands of files organized into a hundred or so folders I need all the help I can get for keeping a cool overview. The finder window with the sample library subfolders I have also chosen to show with symbols as well, but with a beige background. Here I can scan the names of the various categories and then write the precise text into the find window of Acrobat, no need for slow scrolling down. Write the text in the find field pres return and The sample types info comes up into it's neat little window. right where I need it..

If you work on your database for samples I'd suggest you think carefully about how you can document your samples so they are easy to find.. And also please think about including information about how to use the material. I think that Galbanum structure documentation although somwhat sparse is still a good effort, and helps make the library worth the 38 usd I paid for it..

This multiple toolset that I'm making is actually way more powerful than that made NI or other programs like Audio finder. Why because you don't format anything you don't move anything. You could move to another workstation and set this up with no extra programs other than Numerology and Rename. and your samples hard disk..

Think about ! It's just as fast just to drag your sample into the Drumkit and audition them there and listen to them there than using third party auditioning. And with rename and excel or numbers you can order long text snippets found in your sample libraries documentation or on the net in one small document.

Basta.

Sample loader supreme

All this is basically available for free in the Mac OS X.

Finder with symbols and background

Finder places optimized for sample library navigation.

Drumkit settings palettes for loading up and copy and paste and save.

The Documentation window of the sample library, Adobe Acrobat. I think I’d set up my database in Pages or numbers then save it as an Adobe Acrobats document.

I will add all info on the sample my libraries to my Database as I come across it.

Everything is good to go..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 09-28-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Administrator

More amazing work... thanks for sharing! I'm always surprised (and somewhat amused) by how file management becomes such a big issue when samples are involved....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM

wow. awesome. thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM

This is also the (secret?) reason the speech generator exists. Set the loop start and end points very close together. I like to modulate the start position for a glitchy, dirty effect. Is there a way to make this modulation smooth?

I'm not clear how you configured the audio switch to modulate fast enough to blend, I've always ended up with a slightly rhythmic sound.

Here's some more single cycles:
http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/
Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
This is also the (secret?) reason the speech generator exists. Set the loop start and end points very close together. I like to modulate the start position for a glitchy, dirty effect. Is there a way to make this modulation smooth?

I'm not clear how you configured the audio switch to modulate fast enough to blend, I've always ended up with a slightly rhythmic sound.

Here's some more single cycles:
http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/
The Wavetable instrument is set up in a very specific way to get it to work. Kind of hard to describe.

I'm still refining certain aspects and willl send you a copy and perhaps post it here..

Wade
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I'd be super interested to know more about how you're managing it. The massive CPU use is perhaps a clue.

I think that stacking single cycle waveforms alone can produce some great sounds. Even with static waveforms it's daunting how many ways there are to process and route the audio to add movement back in.

Are you familiar with the Ensoniq Fizmo or Waldorf Wave, Microwave XT, etc? I've only had the opportunity to use the Fizmo and Microwave, but they were very inspiring synths.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
Yeah, I'd be super interested to know more about how you're managing it. The massive CPU use is perhaps a clue.

I think that stacking single cycle waveforms alone can produce some great sounds. Even with static waveforms it's daunting how many ways there are to process and route the audio to add movement back in.

Are you familiar with the Ensoniq Fizmo or Waldorf Wave, Microwave XT, etc? I've only had the opportunity to use the Fizmo and Microwave, but they were very inspiring synths.
I have the Blofeld and it has some of the wave architecture.

With the wavetable synth I'm using the waves thre the architecture bank by Galbanum, so they are meant to be looped and don't need any crossfading.. When I get in the mood I just load up a group of eight samples. set the trigger gate up so I have a variable playback that pleases me, use differnt tempos and transpositions to find the sweet spot. Mix rough saws and fm with other more squareish fat waves. That is I use four wavetable synths at once, sometimes in unison. It's cheap fun and very instructive.. I will try and get something to you tomorrow..

I'm feeling like I'm a modular mechanic. My DADDI be PROUD! The ideas are coming thick and fast.. Next up Programming scripts and using C programming language. Slowly a bite at a time. We have Long dark nights in Scandinavia, please no snow this year though...

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-11-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:05 AM

I've been experimenting with this more and thought of trying vector synthesis. Still only using four simple single cycle synths, but I'm trying to use an XY to mix between them. Since I have two other XY controls I feel somewhat compelled to make a 12 oscillator version. I might have to sketch this one out first!