Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 10-18-2015, 12:23 AM

Default changing patterns

Hi,
I am pretty new to Numerology, but as soon as I started the trial version I sold my Beatstep Pro as there is so much more that can be done in N4.

I use N4 as a vst in Ableton and a combination of push and launchpad for my workflow.
To be able to do modulations on gate length, diversion and other parameters and all without touching the mouse is a welcome enhancement.

While searching the forum for answers I was smiling over the question, if jim ever sleeps.. Yeah, that is already a myth to me... @Jim: thank you for your work!

While I move forward and more into N4 there is one thing I was not able to solve and this is pretty basic stuff:

If I do a drum sequence and plan to make a second and third pattern that I want to switch to in terms of variation, how do I manage that?
I had no success to find this out on my own.

I have this workflow in mind that the Beatstep made available, that I could switch patterns by a button press... within the next bar it would jump to another pattern and continue playing...
Is there a similar way within N4 VST? I have a truckload of buttons I could assingn the pattern change, but I fail in getting the big picture how to save patterns in the first place.
At the moment I do export Stacks or drag the floppy icon to make "snapshots" of my work.
Nothing is lost as it is saved together with my ableton save file...

I am sure I do miss the big picture of how to get this done more easily.

Any help or advice is appreciated

regards
Oliver
Old 10-18-2015, 05:11 AM

I would look into Stack Presets for this.
You can find them in the Presets tab right next to the Browser tab.
Set up a pattern you like, duplicate the pattern and adjust the duplicate.
You can also change presets from the Launchpad.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:51 PM

will do that tomorrow and report back.
Thank you for your help
Old 10-24-2015, 12:42 AM

Yep - what Benzedude said.
You can trigger patterns with a midi note so you could e.g. use one stack's sequencer midi output (just rout to the appropriate MIDI out in the bottom of the stack) to trigger the pattern variations (i.e. "presets") in another stack (or multiple stacks....hmmm...just had an illumination hehe...)

Cheers

Paul