Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Default Controlling Ableton from Numerology VST

Hello everybody, after a bit of frustration I finally found out, how to control Ableton (with all its internal instruments, fx, mix functions) from Numerology VST and it's quite simple:
Create an IAC Bus and enable this bus for remote control in Abletons Preferences.
Route the midi data from the Numerology VST track to an empty midi track, via Abletons routing routine (midi from ). For the output of the empty miditrack choose that IAC bus you enabled for remote control. Than activate the Ableton Midi Learn funktion (blue screen) click the parameter you want to control and voila! you're done. The last step only works, when Ableton is running, e.g. Numerology VST is sending data, so the CC detector of the midi-learn function recieves something. In the output section of the empty miditrack you can define a midi chanal for the remote work of the Numerology VST. I didn't checked the latency of the midi data, but for LFOs Mod.Seq values etc. it should be okay anyway.

Also very usefull in this relation: If you want to control a plugin which has no midi learn function (Aalto) or/and you don't know the CC numbers, put that plugIn into an instrument rack (group it), press configure and move the parameters you want to modulate on the plugin GUI. Now these parameters are (in most of the cases) available inside the rack and you can address CC numbers via Abletons midi remote settings in the way described above.
Unfortunetly Numerology itself can't be controled via this way. If you put Numerology VST in a rack and want to configurate the parameters, they don't appear as controllable parameters on the ableton level, something that might be possible in the future if Jim would be so kind and implement it (which of cause would be a pleasure for us Aletonians).

Cheers
loopspool
Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM

A question regarding the midi learn while the sequencer is running. Would it not learn the first midi signal it receives? What about the other modules you may have running at any given time?

I suppose one could turn off the other modules that send data to allow the desired modules to be sending midi solo to the target parameter. Am I wrong?

Thanks
-s
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVardensphere View Post
A question regarding the midi learn while the sequencer is running. Would it not learn the first midi signal it receives? What about the other modules you may have running at any given time?
"First CC wins" is what most things implement -- the only issue is that if you are running several CC outputs at once, you usually can't determine which one will be first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVardensphere View Post
I suppose one could turn off the other modules that send data to allow the desired modules to be sending midi solo to the target parameter. Am I wrong?
Nope-- that is exactly the approach to take.

Jim