Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Projects

Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
I've been experimenting with this more and thought of trying vector synthesis. Still only using four simple single cycle synths, but I'm trying to use an XY to mix between them. Since I have two other XY controls I feel somewhat compelled to make a 12 oscillator version. I might have to sketch this one out first!
With Numerology the sky is the limit!!

I thought maybe if you have the 3 X/Y Pads, there might be other things to route them to. One four oscillator synths mix output is one. the effects Depth and Pan for the other and frequency based effects Ring Mod, distortion for the third..

Wade
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Default WaveTable synth project.

Okay I've been staring at this Project subforum with the WaveTableSynth so now it's time to give a project example of the setup.

You'll have to set your own samples in the slots, I don't want to infringe Galbanums copywrite.

You can go to the Galbanaums site and download some demo waves from their Architecture wave library and try this out for free.

Jue has also made a wave library that you can download for free here on the Numerology Projects subforum.

Remember the Samplers are setup to playback the Galbanum samples this requires that the Tuning be set to -30.765 so thats how the drumsamplers are setup. EDIT ALERT: I was playing around with layering the Wavetable synth with another synth and dicovered that I have set the Tuning parameter wrong. it needs to be -29.765! sorry. This means my WavetableSynth example is wrong. I post a new corrected one within one day, Feb 07 2012. If you use other waveforms than these you most likely will change the transpose value. Perhaps to 0 but this might take some experimentation depending on the material.

Note this is meant not as a sampler but a wavetable player so you use single cycle waveforms for best results. At least as a starting point.

This is raw and bare bones so as not to cloud what exactly is happening. But the idea is to add effects, eq, and so on to shape the sound. Also combining several WaveTableSynths outputs can create interesting effects. Certain wave combinations can cause Frequency Modulation..

Regards

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip WavetableSynth.nmp.zip (13.4 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
This is also the (secret?) reason the speech generator exists. Set the loop start and end points very close together. I like to modulate the start position for a glitchy, dirty effect. Is there a way to make this modulation smooth?

I'm not clear how you configured the audio switch to modulate fast enough to blend, I've always ended up with a slightly rhythmic sound.

Here's some more single cycles:
http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/
I think modulating the start point of the Wavetable synth equates with changing the start step. Now the Counter GateSequencer is set to "Reset" in the Play mode pane. each new note on recieved from the midi input restarts the wavetable. To modulate the start step I would insert a scale and offset module between the "Counters" "SeqStepOUt" and the "Prog"input on the Audio switch then route my controller into a paramod to the Scale parameter. I haven't set this up but that's where I'd start working out this problem

The issue of the rythmic beating is most likely caused by crossfading the waves in the usual sampler player modus. Single cycle waves aren't really meant to be crossfaded. Normal samples aren't balanced out to be used as waveforms. If I was going to use the Wavetable synth for normal samples I'd likely either have to tweak the setup or rethink it.

For Crossfade easy way is to set the crossfade is to do it gloabally on the Audio switch itself.

Otherwise you can go into each drumkits sampler slot and set it there.

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-06-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
Okay I've been staring at this Project subforum with the WaveTableSynth so now it's time to give a project example of the setup.
Nice solution! Thanks for sharing. Lots of interesting possibilities in this.

I like the results I get from playing with the rates of the various modules and the overall BPM, but I'm not sure how these relate to each other and if there is a way to re-visualize them as "standard" synth controls yet.

Do you think it makes more sense to make make a master ADSR and filter control or should I setup an envelope follower and multimode filer?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Nice solution! Thanks for sharing. Lots of interesting possibilities in this.

I like the results I get from playing with the rates of the various modules and the overall BPM, but I'm not sure how these relate to each other and if there is a way to re-visualize them as "standard" synth controls yet.

Do you think it makes more sense to make make a master ADSR and filter control or should I setup an envelope follower and multimode filer?
I think the master ADSR Envelope generator for Amp modulation first routed to a volume +pan volume module fed by the Audio switches output would the most intuitive way to set it up. Get the trigger for the Enevlope from either your midi input like a keyboard or from the Midi note generatings sequencers gate output.

Then somekind of a filter plug where you could modulate it's cutoff using an envelope. Would likely be the most intuitive way for starters..

The three gate sequencers functions are as follows

Gate 1A= mono notes trigger. Mono note sequencers is in CV Trigger gated modus

Gate 1B= Wavesequence step length, each new gate on advances the Audio Switch/moves the output to the next sampler

Gate 1C= recieves an event and advances one step is in CVtrigger step modus. This Gate sequencer sends out a number from its SequenceStep number output to the "Prog In" input of the Audio switch. A fun twist here is to set Gatesequence 1C into Random or back and forth modus.

I didn't setup anything fancy for further tweeking the sounds as I wanted to make it simple to understand.

Regard

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM

did some more experimenting....
The lower the value on gate seq 1 the longer the mononote will pause for.
And the mononote is what pings gate seq 2. I found it helpful to move these together to see what was going on.

Likewise with gate seq 2 the closer to 0 you are the faster your waves will cycle(I think?). Being able to sequence how long each wave stay "on" for is cool, but I'm having an easier time keeping track of what's going on using just two or so steps and modulating the speed or a single step while watching the values on the audio switch.

Again, there are so many interesting ways to expand on this, thanks so much for sharing!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
did some more experimenting....
The lower the value on gate seq 1 the longer the mononote will pause for.
And the mononote is what pings gate seq 2. I found it helpful to move these together to see what was going on.

Likewise with gate seq 2 the closer to 0 you are the faster your waves will cycle(I think?). Being able to sequence how long each wave stay "on" for is cool, but I'm having an easier time keeping track of what's going on using just two or so steps and modulating the speed or a single step while watching the values on the audio switch.

Again, there are so many interesting ways to expand on this, thanks so much for sharing!
You and anybody else is welcome! Great you finding ways to use this !

If you only want to play one or two steps then you need to set the Counter Gatee 1C to play just step 1-3, theres an ofset you have to take into account.

Then to save CPU resourses turn off Drumkit sounds 3-7.

Regards

Wade