Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Harmony control really this time!!

I have refined and expanded the Harmony control concept.. *Note I have added an example in the last post of this thread as of Dec 7 2011

When I think other how I've setup my harmony control stack previously, I have to admit I am biased, shackled, freed, by my specielized way of thinking about harmony based on Paul Hindemiths two and three part writing books, This has a great many advantages, but on the otherhand I can't deny that you lose out on the normal usage of basic classical popular and jazz harmony..Out with old in with the "New" is not always what is wanted..

The idea of modulation through a set of keys, major to minor, gets lost in the mix..The idea of antiquated early music style using Church Modes gets lost. The idea of ethnic extend scales gets lost.. So for that pan historical, anything that works is relevant style of the modern composer is traded for a total freedom from past assoiative music that a systemic approach to Harmony that the Hindemith school or others like it bring.. Freedom as opposed to tradition bound, the cliché, wonderfully comfortingly familiar, maddeningly resilient..

Read up on Hindemiths theories and you will understand.. By getting absolute freedom of choice of tones through controlling the root progression and how the 2nd and 3rd voices fit in, you can develop uncannily cohesive many voiced soundscapes, where smoothness, and the sense of weighted direction is so melded with the material that it can become harmonically flat and amorphous in unskilled hands, I admit I know enough about it to get myself in trouble, but how to get out, damn! Fascinating and difficult area of study..

Anyways my harmony stack was based on this thinking, as such it lacks the familiar landmarks of "normal usage" harmony, change of keys the major and minor, the church modes. Western ears percieve this series of tones scale tones say the Major scale as basic building blocks of song structures and our reactions to these scales, how they are weighted to slant the tonatlity to the tonal center and the dynamic opposite of rest the Dominant are so ingrained that as soon as they appear the brain just slots into the modus the scales way of leading the listener, the harmonic map, we hear a scale and are "keyed in" and can follow all sorts of modulations and harmonicly spiced variation As long as the main characteristic of a scale are allowed to dominate..

The keys, and the scales!

On a side note I've improvised since I was 8 years old, and now 42 years later I improvise without thinking scale or structure, like a stream of consious James Joyce, madness you say, well, Ja, in a way but if I'm and organic being, let that being oscillate to it's own key and rythme..It's free improvisation after all, means you don't often get paid for it, but boy it's a lovely way to spend time.. My point with this is to give a nod to empirical experience, in developing a sound, based on what sounds right within a freeform frame, without either Hindemith or classical harmony in the driver seat.

Anyways I've made a extension to my harmony stack.

Two Veloctiy sequencers

A paramod.

The following has to be repeated for every sequencer in the project. It is Global control!!

Velocity sequencer into parmod slot one destination module mononote sequencer, destination parameter Quantize Mode, the range is 1-15

Velocity sequencer 2 into parmod slot two destination module mononote sequencer, destination parameter, Key. the range is 1 to 12, this doesn't exist in the range panel of the Veloctiy sequencer but choose range 1-16 and just dont use 13-16 and it works..

Now this combined with the old elements from the Origanal Harmony Control stack gives the whole concept a completeness.

The original Root Interval sequence moves the basic progression through the period of the phrase it's not sure that it works as root, that the Key takes that role, but I don't see any reason to drop the sense of one weighted center moving through the phrase even thoough doesn't define the key..

The two or three part framework interval sequencers gives the intervoice interval relationships, the voice leading sense of the local layout of the chords root, 1st and 2nd inversion.

The Mode Quantize chooser "Velocity sequencer 1" Quanitizes the output to the chosen mode or scale.

The key "Velocity sequencer 2" Quantizes the notes to a specific tonal center. A flat for example.

Six sequencers making up a total harmonic matrix, where everything gets quantized at 5 or six different levels.. A root/voiceleading/Skale type/Key quanitzer which frees the user/composer when working with mononote sequencers to basically think about scale degree, and phrase shape..rythmic variation, range, phrase length, accents, repeats divisions, note length, hey that's still quite alot left to think about! And that before making instrumental choices, and adding effects..

Lining up the timing of the Root and the Key as well as the Quantize Mode reinforces in the timing of the phrase a "sense of direction" that at least is my first experiences with working with this super quantized modus.. With use there's sure to come new levels of understanding and working, suspentions and anticipations and polytonality comes to mind..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM

oh how I wish I could follow your posts twotone!

too deep for me...

sounds like you are up to some amazing stuff though.

do you have any example patches you could post so I could actually see it in action in Numerology? Spent about 15 minutes trying to patch up your note divide example and I'm lost. This harmony one sounds even cooler, but I'm even more lost.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Default I'll do

I'll do a patch for example on these things, But they don't really work unless it's a full project example...

I have to work something up

The Harmony Control on a global level has a attached project you can look at in the meantime. In this subform tips and tricks
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Default New Project Example

Okay so you asked, I spent some time setting up an example project using the Apple DLS synth

Now you can read my text from the Original Post and try and see how it's all setup, don't be too critcal with the music though. It's still new to me to combine scale thinking with 3 part harmony, with work and some study this could be quite a good way to get a handle on Harmonic structure using the added spice of the colour of different Tonal Centers, and Scales.. One finesse I might add is a tenary op that transposes the whole sequence down to compensate for the involunary transposition when you change Keys.. I don't want my sequences to jump around in the register with each new key, I'd like the Key of C to change to A flat but not have the phrases jump a minor six they should stay in the same place just play a around a different tonal center, so my tenary op will be set up to transpose everything down a minor sixth, to avoid this when moving to A flat.. Easy peasy... Actually maybe there is a scale filter or something in the modules list. hmm time to go looking...

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example-HarmEX.zip (67.6 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-07-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 PM

So sorry not to write back sooner. I have been in the process of moving and this is the first night I have had to look at the forum of Numerology. Thanks so much for posting an example. I will dive in soon and work through your original and new post.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 AM

No need for apologies! Nice to hear you can use the idea. Remember though this is just one man way of finding his way around the issue of harmony. There is also the chord sequencer and the Scale quantizer modules that might be more suited to others needs.

Wade
Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM

This sounds fantastic.