Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Projects

Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 AM

Hi Wade,

If you're into MSEG's with amazing modulation possibilities, then by all means check out NI's Absynth 5. You can have as many MSEG's as you like, and have them all visible in one window. The are INSANELY flexible. You can have up to 64 breakpoints per envelope, every breakpoint can be modulated with Absynth's 'macro controls', envelope lfo (with different mod depth PER breakpoint), the master ADSR, velocity, aftertouch etc. You can also set them to 'control driven' mode, where it basically functions as a modmap like Zebra or Alchemy have. The 'sample jump' envelope is also wonderful if you want to do wavesequencing (like a Dave Smith Evolver, but using you OWN samples) or to mash up drumloops/whatever.

Absynth has been my go-to workhorse synth/sample transformer/FX unit since late 2006 (when i moved over to computer music production Kompelety, no pun intended!), and still is.
It's one of those plugins that can seem very intimidating to use (because of it's flexibility/complexity), but very rewarding if you persevere.

What's funny is that last year i was looking for a host that allowed me the same insane modulation possibilities as Absynth.....
Numerology was the only host that allowed me to do that, and more. It merged everything i love about Absynth's and Ableton Live's workflow into one amazing piece of software.
They make a perfect marriage imo.

Apologies for hijacking your thread!

Anyway, it's always a pleasure seeing these 'Absynth'-minded (as i like to call them) posts from you. They put a smile on my face, before i even had a chance to read them.
They should merge you, Jim, Brian Clevinger (Absynth's creator) and Stephan Schmitt (Reaktor's creator) into one superhuman form.......imagine the endless 'insane' possibilities.

Best,

Wasili

Last edited by 33tetragammon; 07-28-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks Wasili!

I'm getting my computer in a week or so, then I'll be able to unleash the power of my setups that I've been developing slowly over the last 2 1/2 years.

My Super Delay machine is something that I wired up played with but have had to wait for the upgrade..

Ya absynth sounds amazing too ! I'll take a close look at that as well.

Wade
Old 07-28-2012, 02:49 PM

Default Sound preset changer stack

I'm working on the idea of really getting each synth instrument to become more interesting, diversified yet focused and alive. To this end I've decided to implement a preset changer stack.

I have brushed briefly on this for function for changing synth presets. I have seperated this out into it's own dedicated stack so the preset changer with the trigger stack as destination now lives on it's own dedicated stack, and the Sounds preset changer is now developed and placed just to the left of the sounds stack.

The Preset change stack for the indivdual sounds is setup as follows:

example sound one is mirrored for all 12 sound /softsynth destinations.

Velocity Seq 1, output range 1-16, cv velocity output into paramod 1, slot one, destination, program change module 1, parameter, program number.

Velocity Seq 1, CV trigger out --> Gate Generator 1, delay mode ON value, 1/32 gate time, Half note. Gate generator, CV gate out --> paramod module 1, slot 2 destination, program change module, parameter, Send Now.

Synth Prog Change Velocity Seq 1 step size must match Trigger Gate Sequencer 1's step size, my default is 24 steps , The two sequencers are set to the same Clk Div which i set as default to 2xW.

Now I can cross check the 4 Trigger stacks 1-12 sequencers On states and then setup the individual Prog Change stacks 1-12 Velocity sequencers program number event changes in the appropriate position within the 48 bar period. Created the same number of presets with an identical settings remote, program change, program numbering scheme and recieve channel as the trigger stacks stack presets so it is in effect slaved to the same project wide master preset changer stack which uses my default Remote bus set on the Stacks routing page. I must remember to set a default program that effectively gives no program change, for example "16". This requires of course on the recieving synth that that slot is empty!! This makes the need for setting up dedicated per project midi program banks necessary..

Programming preset change, work flow, select and move a group of steps matching the duration you need the destination synths program to last for and move them to program change value that you need. Velocity 1 sequencers momentary trigger signal initiating the Send now command is trimmed automatically in the Gate generator module; delayed by 1/32 note and lengthend to one Half note. To set 2 or more program changes within a 48 bar period then select a corresponding group of steps move them to the program value you need. I chose a range of 16 for the velocity sequencer as I believe for my projects sixteen different program to be more than sufficient.

I see the eventual use for these programs changes as ways of calling up of snapshots of the same basic sound that has been tweeked, but of course also calling up markedly different sounds could be useful as well.

The whole idea of this program change of sounds within one 48 bar period is to break monotony, add intensity, perhaps each synth program will have tweaked internal effects. This can be an effective way to get more life out of each individual sound and it follows my reasoning that sound design duties should be done within the synths own UI. The beauty of this method too is it will reduce the number of modulation devices in a project which can become quite enormous if your working with large numbers of instruments. Also with big orchestral textures the subtle modulation work can get lost in the mass of sound so calling up a markedly different variation of a sound can be a both a useful and more direct approach.. The rebirth of the program change!! One usage example would be to tweak a base programs envelope attack time and modulation amount on a filter, save this as a variation on the synths UI give it a position in the synths internal midi playlist. Now the sound could for it's duration becomes a major point of focus. Then the original version can be called up again and with its less extreme envelope settings the sound will pull back down into the background.

On the program change stack each program change module is set to a unique ch number from seq 1 = ch 1, seq 2 = ch 2, seq 3 = ch 4 and so on. Note these program changes have been given their own midi output buss I use Midi bus 6, within the main stack window and not at the bottom pane of the stack which allows me to mute this output independently. The midi bus 6 input in the sound stack gets routed into all three soft synths dedicated midi filters.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 07-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Unison tool.

Now that I've gotten all this diversity with up til 12 different sequencers running, it's becomes necessary to see the whole setup in overview and what it lacks is an way simplify the elements to create unison effects.

I've developed a Unison tool is basically a midi filter stack that takes the output from all 12 mono notes and filters these so one chosen sequencer sends to all 12 sequencers or aleast a reduced number gets sent out to all sound sources, the orchestral tutti, effective at points in the arrangement like the coda, the chorus, the exposition. The unison tool gives you easy access to can have all sounds/soft synths recieve sound from a reduced subset of sequencers.

The project main midi output, midi bus 1 which sums all twelve channels of midi from the twelve mono note sequencers gets routed into the Unison tool stack and patch into 12 midifilters set on a per preset basis to feed twelve sound channels, Then using stack presets the input is filtered so only 1 2 or three channels pass through to the 12 mono notes, for example, Preset 1 midi filter module, settings input channel 1, out ch 1, midi filter module 2 filter input ch 1, output channel 2, midi filter 3 filter input channel 1, output channel 3, and so up to midi filter module 12. Now all sounds will only recieve on ch 1 and will effectively be in unison.

preset 2 midi filter module 1, settings channel 2, out 1, midi filter module 2 filter input ch 2, output channel 2, midi filter module 3 filter input channel 2, output channel 3, and so up to midi filter module 12.

this is setup for all twelve midi channels with twelve presets..

I've also made one series where channel 1+2+3 get farmed out in various all the possible permutation to all 12 sequencers in groups of three..

Don't worry I make this whole project available so with minimal tweaking you can use the tools described for you own productions!!

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 07-29-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I'd guess Numerology as one mans work must have demanded phenominal effort and some very looong days.
Indeed -- but very worthwhile....

Quote:
excellent drummer, hmm I know that can be dangerous if you feed them the wrong way, there's no stopping them..
Indeed -- but very worthwhile....

Old 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM

Default The Effects Stack

Now I'm moving on with this long thread!!

The Effects stack is directly in line in the audio signal flow of the project, Sounds from soft synths 1-3,4-6,7-9,10-12 get bussed out their respect output modules on the Sounds stacks into thier corresponding inputs on the Effects Stacks, 1-3,4-6,7-9,10-12. The audio inputs are patched into 12 effects modules at least one per input. I use Uhbiks Delays, Distortion, phasers, Flangers, Filterscape, Valhalla Shimmer, Guitar Rig. These effects like the Soft instruments are turned on and off as needed. Their presets follow the same program number and midi channel as their paired soft synths..

The output form these inline effects are patched into a audio mixer, I could call it an Effects return mixer, but I found it necessary to merge effects return functionality with the group bus. The mix of the wet and the dry signal is done on each individual effects processores own UI.Or I can use the Bypass panel I've setup on the Time stack My reasoning for using this is the method is to simplify the automatic turn on fade up, fade down turn off sequence.. It's much easier to setup these thing if it's just one long serial audio channel.

I don't know if anyone has noticed that I reduced my Sounds and Effects on/off automation at the trigger stack to only use one Envelope per chain, but it comes down to a simplification, of the setup that I found expediant. The Effects fader up/down, occurs only when the Sound and Effects is already turned on, it happens after the preset change in the Sounds and Effects stack. So I've implimented an extra device to make the envelope automatic, a Fader box, with a glide, this is set to 2.8 , and router into 3 slots of 2 paramod modules with a destination of 1,2, or 3 at the Audio mixer, index is set to corresponding channel number, the parameter is Volume. The preset list is setup so that reflects the available permutations of ON/OFF states for the effects. Move the Effects corresponding faderbox fader to max when an effect is active for each preset/permuation combination. Now when these presets get remotely called up by the device on the Trigger stack, the fader moves up to max over a few seconds. The Sound Soft Synths fade out envelope fades out the output on the synth, Then the next preset get's called up. The Effects mixer automatically fades out the output on the effects channel if that effect is no longer active. This moves that effects output fader on the Sub mixers. No clicks or pops here as the Sound input to the effects is long since been faded out at the Sounds stack.

Stereo Output from the effects stacks Audio mixer in my setup goes into a bus compressor, a CL series by Arts Acoustic, and then into one of my two Reverbs, the Uhbik A or the Valhalla Room.

Then out to the master..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 07-31-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 AM

Default How to prepare this Project for publishing

Now that I've run throught the projects elements I think is time to publish a version for other users to try..

I would like this to be as painless a "gift" as possible.

This is a big project where it can be easy to get lost and also with just a few changes it can lose some basic functionallity.

On the other hand the major part of the work of setting this kind of project up is to route the paramods across stacks the various faders, in the sounds and effects stack. Setup the program change numbers per preset with channels and so on..

So it's not so much a tips and tricks example. it really is a working system as a whole that makes this project interesting.

I'm fishing here to see if other users would be interested in trying this setup, and if there's enough interest I'll go through the setup to make a few notes in comments modules, label some of the modules more clearly and so on.

This is a time consuming process. But would almost be a prerequisite for making this public...

Any thought, Any interest?

Wade
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Since I started this thread I've recently upgraded my Computer.

This is now much easier to work productivly.

So I rush on and develop further on the project. This as I at the same time as I'm working more in creative production modus instead of just setup and experimention.

Experimenting though is actually about ENABELLing the creative ideas.

For example I spent some time working with a technique that I've outlined under tips and tricks: Creating Accerando effects...

Now I ran into a problem that I discovered a quick fix for.

I want the project wide program changes to also change the Tempo. This works seemlessly as i detaied earlier in thread in the Time stack post.

What I also wanted to do was have subtle variations in tempo to give some breath, provide some relief from the rigid beat. This I use a Dual Lfo for, but the issue I ran into was that per preset change I wanted to have a different range parameter for the Master Clock controlling fader..

The problem was the the range values in the dropdown pane on the Fader box don't get effected with a stack preset change. But for accelrando effects and differing tempo you need the range to change from preset to preset. The paramod that I use to direct the accelrando values to the Master clock fader need to automatically move to the new range for each sectional change in tempo..

I set up the Master Clock fader in a new way to get this functionallity.

1x8 faders are now Master clock faders used in solo modus each outputing to it's own parameter slot, with the master clock as destination.

Now I mute all these paramod modules except the one that I want to be active on a per preset basis..

Likewise I've made 4x2 parmod modules that send the Lfo modulations to the 8 faders of the Master Clock fader box. These are also only umute one at a time per preset, this matches the faders 1-8 and the whole chain is syncronized to the range fields on each fader of the Master Clock fader Box..

The whole setup:

Dual Lfo, mix out-->8 slots of paramod, destination module, Master Clock Fader box index 1-8, parameter Target.

Master Clock Fader box, CV out 1-8 -->8 parmod slots, destination --> Clock Stack, Master Clock, parameter Tempo.

The range fields on the eight faders define the tempo range for each preset. With eight faders I have acces to 8 tempo ranges for a project.

The Dual Lfo is set up so that I have a gradual increase in tempo over a range of say 24 bars, this can be set on a per preset basis. As well as a slight fluctuation over at 2 bar period.

Accelrando is achieved by using an inverted saw wave with a period as mention above of up to 24 bars.. on Lfo A almost maximum amount and on Lfo B the slight fluctuation or "swing" is set to 2 bars avery small total amount.

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Now that I've run throught the projects elements I think is time to publish a version for other users to try..

I would like this to be as painless a "gift" as possible.

This is a big project where it can be easy to get lost and also with just a few changes it can lose some basic functionallity.

On the other hand the major part of the work of setting this kind of project up is to route the paramods across stacks the various faders, in the sounds and effects stack. Setup the program change numbers per preset with channels and so on..

So it's not so much a tips and tricks example. it really is a working system as a whole that makes this project interesting.

I'm fishing here to see if other users would be interested in trying this setup, and if there's enough interest I'll go through the setup to make a few notes in comments modules, label some of the modules more clearly and so on.

This is a time consuming process. But would almost be a prerequisite for making this public...

Any thought, Any interest?

Wade

Apologies for not getting to this post sooner -- lots going on as usual... As I mentioned earlier, I'd love to see a video demonstration of the full system -- as with Numerology, I know that even a short, very casual video can do more to capture the essence of something than just about anything else -- particularly with a complex system like this. Also, I'd love to see it in action with the idea of pointing out bits and parts that could be pulled apart and used in other contexts -- perhaps even as additions to the main stack library.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Apologies for not getting to this post sooner -- lots going on as usual... As I mentioned earlier, I'd love to see a video demonstration of the full system -- as with Numerology, I know that even a short, very casual video can do more to capture the essence of something than just about anything else -- particularly with a complex system like this. Also, I'd love to see it in action with the idea of pointing out bits and parts that could be pulled apart and used in other contexts -- perhaps even as additions to the main stack library.

Cheers,
Jim
I hear you on that one. I'm just working out how to do the video tech. Otherwise I'm quite busy in the practical side of things for now. But will get some video out asap!