Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 AM

Default First experience w/ Num & Modular

So I had the first public outing of my new (diy) modular last week.
I only had 3 days to prepare a demo composition of some sorts, and since people expect me to produce complex music, I decided to use Numerology as the main source of CV's and gates.

I knew somehow that was a bad decision. Three days is not much, certainly when I'm not very familiar with N3 Pro yet.

Composing went pretty well in the beginning (just using 4 simple and nearly identical stacks, driving out CV's & gate's through the Motu), though I had some problems with the mixer (a separate post about that in 'feature requests' will follow).
One day before the show, things started to go haywire.
Numerology refused to open the project, or opened it with all note & gate settings "returned to default"... Luckily I had a backup, which opened without problems.
Then other strange things started to happen. Sequencers and even Stacks started to switch themselves off, seemingly at random. Sometimes stacks didn't play, even when I switched them to Playlist or Off Arrange Mode... perhaps something went wrong with the communication between Mixer and Stacks ?
More weirdness ensued (forgot the details), until finally my project resetted everything to default or "flat" after closing & opening it again.

At that point, with only a few hours to go before the live show, I tore the whole patch down, and set up a modular version of PF's "On the Run" with all of my hardware sequencers. The audience appreciated the humour of that (I'm an avant-garde composer), but to be honest, I wasn't very happy with the whole situation.

Surely a lot of stuff must have happened because of my newbienessness with Numerology, but I'm quite sure I had nothing to do with the project resetting itself completely after a load.
Also, Numerology unexpectedly quit on a few ocassions (perhaps that was the reason it started to write corrupted data to the file?), and when I wanted to send over the resulting error log to Jim, I noticed it was going to be send to Apple, which I thought wouldn't be very useful to anyone.

I'll dig deeper into Numerology soon.
No doubt it'll be very helpful -- and hopefully somewhat more reliable -- in the near future.

_g
Old 01-30-2011, 06:34 AM

Default Sorry to hear of you difficulty!

That must of given you a few extra gray hairs sorry to hear about it.

After using numerology intensively for over a year I've not experienced projects resetting themselves. Numerology as default always loads the last opened project in it's last saved state....

When I use an unsupported controller, The Novation Nocurn my mixer channels or anything else I've assigned to the acitve automap midi setup gets zeroed, so If you've set-up any external controllers to the sequence step parameters and those controllers lack midi reflect it could be an explanation for your strange behaviour..

This kind of experience can really be off putting but once you get the problems solved the numerolgy program is rock solid...

Regards

Wade
Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about the problems. They do sound very unusual. Definitely email me a copy of the original project that you had trouble loading, as well as any crash logs. Also, when you have problems like this, I recommend emailing me as soon as you can -- as many on the forum know, I can usually respond to support requests very quickly.

For crash logs, look in
<your home dir>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter, or on 10.6.4 or later:
<your home dir>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Don't worry about it too much, Jim.
I'm quite aware of the fact that I must have messed up somewhere along the lines, mostly due to my inexperience [with N3], and perhaps also because I was under too much pressure to work efficiently and consistently.

Wild-guessing: I shouldn't have tried to re-open a project which must have been corrupted before, and then thinking I'd be wise to save it under a different name. Hahaha.

When I'm back from holidays (mid Feb), I'll try to dig through the logs, and see if there's anything there I think could be useful to you. The same with the project...

@TwoToneshuzz: thanks for your concern, but I didn't get any extra gray hairs over it. Mostly, I guess, because I ain't got any hair anymore since a long time. Also, I don't get upset anymore of things like this. It's just not worth it -- hey, it's only software (and a modular)! -- good wine and food, some sun, good music, and a good partner are more important.

I've known Numerology for quite a while now (though with a big soldering-only hiatus inbetween), and I know it's very solid and very well conceived. Referring to my other post about using N3 with other software, I can only say that I only want to use N3 with the modular for now, and no other software. That's how much I trust it.

So, no worries, chaps. We're

_g
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd2 View Post
Don't worry about it too much, Jim.
I'm quite aware of the fact that I must have messed up somewhere along the lines, mostly due to my inexperience [with N3], and perhaps also because I was under too much pressure to work efficiently and consistently.

Wild-guessing: I shouldn't have tried to re-open a project which must have been corrupted before, and then thinking I'd be wise to save it under a different name. Hahaha.
I appreciate your candor and resiliency -- but regardless I would like to pursue this to find out what happened -- at your convenience, of course.

Cheers,
Jim