Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Numerologist

Default Front on/off

Hello,

do you have more information about thIs:

"on/off buttons let you operate the Mac minis' rear power buttons"

Like to know how this works, with G3s and G4s they could be switched via USB,
Is there a solution now for Intels??

best
jue
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 PM

I should have been more clear that I do not actually own these. I'm just a big rackmount advocate

Are you saying that you cannot turn on an intel mini from an apple keyboard??
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Numerologist

Hello,

as long as the MAC in in sleep mode it works, but when you have the power disconnectet while transport there is no way other then the knop on the back.
Was traveling a lot of times with four Minis in a rack and everytime when power was connected a little dance around the rack.

best
jue

BTW: Does anybody knew that the Mini Server works normal with all the audio software, never got a try?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 AM

^^ Why is it that Apple always does one thing stupid? While I was in college, each iMac station had a paper clip, taped to a note that read "in case of emergency" ... as if OS 9 never ever crashed...
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jue View Post
Hello,

BTW: Does anybody knew that the Mini Server works normal with all the audio software, never got a try?
I would be suprised if it doesn't work, I think the server functionality is just that you get the server software.. The specifications sounds like it's basically a macbook pro 15" basic model without screen an keyboard.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM

Default iMac + mini

I'm getting closer to the time when I will upgrade my system.

I have detailed how I'd like to go with a mac mini modular setup.

Now I think I may do a combi rig for a couple of reasons.

First the Rig

imac 27" basic model. mid 2012 when it cones

Present mac mini top range, not the server edition.

imac 20" mid 2007 2.4 already owned

Used 15" macbook pro 2011 buy in 2013.

With this setup I have a both powerful and relatively logical set up.

The imac 27" Why? Well after checking out the monitors and how much it would cost for a decent one I'm starting to see that the base 27" model has quite a good value. 4 cores, 27" great monitor. Fast enough.. At the same time I will resist going for any expensive upgrades.

The money I save from not upgrading I will put toward a 2.5 Ghz mac mini, this combined with the imac costs about the same as if I upgraded the top of the line imac. The advantage here is I have the first element of my travelling portable setup.

Later I'll get the 2011 macbookpro. That combined with single mac mini gives me a pretty powerful and portable setup for travel concerts. In Copenhagen I can easily take my imac to concerts.

Using my present iMac for internet and effects processing means I have a four cpu setup.

1 new iMac 27" base model 2012 (Speculation-Ivybridge i5 3.1 Ghz perhaps.) buy between May and August.
1 used mac mini 2011 i5 2.5 Ghz 2 cores. buy between May and August. Costs: 30% off new price.
1 presently owned imac 2007 costs:Free!
1 used 15"macbook 2011 model pro. Buy september-january 2013. Costs: 30% off new price

I think if you need a monitor and a computer then it's hard to beat the 27" imac.

One mac mini the top model used can be a upgrade path for a relatively small outlay. This gets that powerful setup for travel portablilty going that I think is a must. At some far distant point the 2007 imac may get replaced by a 2014 mac mini!

Use the old gear as long as possible. Even the new systems have bottlenecks so spreading the load out over several systems is going to give more power than just buying one upgraded super system. Therefore I'm not going to part with the old imac. I'm sentimental too I admit it! Also if there are any programs that run on Rosetta only, like Cakewalks Rapture I can use these on the old old but good imac 2007

Portabilty with a macbook pro. It's powerful enough for many tasks so it's a nice grab and go, again it can be the base model 15" The base models are always plentiful and often cheap on the used market. When you go with a multi computer setup. You don't have to be so concerned with getting these expensive yet just incremental apple upgrades.. A student bought a basic mode 15" macbook pro today, in 16 months he/she will be selling it and I will be buying it!

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 02-09-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Default Interesting related thread.

I'm still checking around the net on my coming upgrade and found this setup.

Apparently you could use Wormhole to do the same thing as I was thinking using Vienna Ensemble Pro for .. And it's free.

Here they suggest hosting you instruments in Main stage. But for me I would think it would make sense to host it in Numerology on the slave computer..

This would allow for Numerologies native CV modulation at the synths instead of having to use a midi pipe to affect modulation from the master maschine..

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/vi...695cb5&start=0

Regards

Wade
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM

Default It's getting closer!!

I'm actually a little surprised but it seems like I might get my setup a little sooner..

It's like this.

Getting new gear in the Summer in Denmark, is like so wrong timing. Denmark has this fantastically beautiful summer from mid May there is often a good period with fine weather , and then rain then good weather in Parts of June, when summer holidays starts for the kids, well likely going to get rain then too, but not for the whole month of July. Anyways it's almost an captial offense to spend your Dansih Summertime inside staring at a computer monitor. It's just not a done thing..

So all my planning goes against the seasonal flow..

It would be much smarter to get the setup NOW, or soon soon, not later later.....

So if I would get a system now, I really feel the mac mini modular is the way to go.

I have looked at the screens on the iMac 21.5 and 27" models and they are actually hardly any bigger height wise than my present imac 20" , the 20" has a different aspect ratio. I want height because in Numerology the only way to get an overview is by scrolling up and down the stack...

It's a real problem this, it is also a real drag for viewing music notation, and portrait orientation images. pitwauw grrrrr, bing band boink and rattle. I'm perturbed! Movie aspect ratio is not fun for a working Numerologist photographer.

My data streams like in the matrix want to run up to down like a waterfall of info...

So haamm. So heemm if I pulled the trigger on a setup this month, I'm leaning towards:

2 mac mini servers now.

1 presently owned imac 20"

I 20" screen that can be oriented in portrait modus.

No Vienna Pro, use wormhole and the IAC bus and a cheap Giga bit hub.

Later 1 mac mni regular the sept? 2012 model. Bought in a year used.

1 used 2012 Macbook pro bought used in 1.5 years.

What do you think is this the way to go. Read the link in the previous post. 2 mac mini servers apparently smoke a 3.4 imac quack kore i7

Getting close it's the seasonal thing.. Rumour has it the the IvyBridge is going to be delayed til summer only limited quantities available in June then..

And I've been very patient with this upgrade. If some of you have read my many comments about the CPU blues...

Regards

Wade
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Still doing my research on the Multithreading topic here and found this rather old SOS article on the subject.

It just points up the issues, a multi computer setup when using non multithreading programs, is the quickest way to get expanded instrument counts in a transparent maner.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...ician_0108.htm

Regards

Wade
Old 02-24-2012, 10:15 AM

This is sort of relevant for using the Mac Mini for among other things Graphic multiple screens arrays or other graphic and other PCI stuff:

http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr201...underbolt.html

Seems like three mac minis networked with one of these PCI adapters on the master machine is a mac pro killer..

Way more portable for air travel..

Regards

Wade