Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Default MIDI sync with two (or more) setups

Hi,

Basically I have two MIDI-setups (two band projects):
A. Synths connected to Mac with iConnectivity Mio4
B. Synths connected to Mac with their own ubs-midis

Now what I've found is that when I change my MIDI setup, I need to re-setup MIDI sync outs in Clock stack. Well, that's probably feature (not a bug) that projects don't remember these settings, right?

Anyway what is a strange is that after I have made this setup I need to do it in every A (or B) project file (even though I allready see correct outputs) and save each of these project files to make Midi Sync work. If I don't do that, I can see all the correct outputs (they seem active, not italicised and gray) but MIDI sync does not send to these outputs.

Before this was not a problem because I used two Macs, one for A and other for B. This came up when started to switch between them with my newer mac.

Any idea what's going on?

thx,
P
Old 10-09-2017, 04:21 PM

No comments? Everybody here using a stable MIDI-setup?
Old 10-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaine View Post
Hi,

Basically I have two MIDI-setups (two band projects):
A. Synths connected to Mac with iConnectivity Mio4
B. Synths connected to Mac with their own ubs-midis

Now what I've found is that when I change my MIDI setup, I need to re-setup MIDI sync outs in Clock stack. Well, that's probably feature (not a bug) that projects don't remember these settings, right?

Anyway what is a strange is that after I have made this setup I need to do it in every A (or B) project file (even though I allready see correct outputs) and save each of these project files to make Midi Sync work. If I don't do that, I can see all the correct outputs (they seem active, not italicised and gray) but MIDI sync does not send to these outputs.

Before this was not a problem because I used two Macs, one for A and other for B. This came up when started to switch between them with my newer mac.

Any idea what's going on?

thx,
P
For me, it is very hard to understand what you are trying to do !
Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Administrator

First, apologies for not responding sooner -- I read the post earlier, but didn't have time to check the code, then got busy, etc. --- thanks for pinging me again on it.

Quote:
MIDI sync settings are currently stored per-project -- though perhaps they should be preferences. It's one of those tricky cases: you may have a default setup, but may need to customize it per-project, etc. I'm making notes to re-examine it with N5 --- feel free to mention any concerns in this area in the Feature Requests section...

Quote:
This sounds like a plain old bug -- have put on the list!

Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
MIDI sync settings are currently stored per-project -- though perhaps they should be preferences. It's one of those tricky cases: you may have a default setup, but may need to customize it per-project, etc. I'm making notes to re-examine it with N5 --- feel free to mention any concerns in this area in the Feature Requests section...
Thanks for reply!

Well, if I am right, sync settings aren't stored per-project. (Or at least in my system.) For example, if I now open some very old project of mine, I can see my current MIDI sync outputs (which were not there in that time when made this project file). So it seems to me that sync settings are more like general preferences. (Allthough it does not work well that way either, cause you have to go through all your projects to make sure that sync is really going...)

If I could to decide, it would be great if Numerology projects would save & remember the MIDI sync setup. Then you would not need to basically to do anything when you switch from A to B -setup. But if that's somehow complicated then it's OK if sync setup is general preference and all the projects would follow that. (Personally I don't need to switch that often my setup.)

Basically only thing I want is to have a liable setup - it's not very nice to find out on live stage that MIDI sync is not going to anywhere...
Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM

Hi,

Still trying to figure out how to work with two MIDI setups with one mac... While there may be a fix in future update, is there a workaround at the moment? One thing came to my mind: can I install two instances of Numerology, one for each MIDI setup? Would this work?

P.S. For those who may wonder what I am talking about: I have two MIDI setups (two bands), a) Mac + hardware synths connected with their USB and b) same Mac + hardware synth connected via iConnectMio4 MIDI-interface. Problem is about MIDI sync: When I switch from a to b, MIDI sync does not work nicely. Read first post more about that...

Last edited by PLaine; 10-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Still trying to figure out how to work with two MIDI setups with one mac... While there may be a fix in future update, is there a workaround at the moment? One thing came to my mind: can I install two instances of Numerology, one for each MIDI setup? Would this work?

P.S. For those who may wonder what I am talking about: I have two MIDI setups (two bands), a) Mac + hardware synths connected with their USB and b) same Mac + hardware synth connected via iConnectMio4 MIDI-interface. Problem is about MIDI sync: When I switch from a to b, MIDI sync does not work nicely. Read first post more about that...
How about using a DAW in which you would use two Numerology instances ?
This way, I think that midi sync should not be a problem ?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
That would probably not work the way you want -- they would still share the same prefs, config files, etc. If you don't need Audio In, you could use N4 in ReWire mode as one option -- in ReWire mode, sync is automatic w/ the ReWire Mixer App.

Jim