Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > File Exchange > Projects

Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Default Presents from Copenhagen! Remote Editor

Well I've spent the day working on making this Remote editor setup. I have described somethings about my remote editor idea in the Tips and Tricks subforum. So I went back to that post and noticed some things.. I've tried out a few scenarios in as to how this remote editor could work..

This is what I've arrived at.

An editor for reaching 8 mono notes spread between two stacks of four .

This editor is made up three velocity sequencers.

They are hooked up to 24 paramod modules.

That means that at any one time you have access to three of the 8 mono notes parameters at once from a central location looking at only 3 velocity sequencers.

To reach more parametres I've set it up so you move through 3 presets. These change the destination fields in the 3 groups 8 paramods, that is 8 paramods per velocity sequencer.

I've grouped them by preset as follows:

Group A Note (Step Value) Gate Length and Velocity

Group B Groove, Divide and Pitch Glide

Group C Step Length, Step Repeat, and Random Jump.

At the top of the stack above the Velocity sequencers is a series of 3 button boxes.

These are for muting output to the destination mono notes you may want to exempt some of your sequencers from editing this is your tool fro achieving this from a central location.

This setup is basically a tool for editing across stacks.

You should only have the Button Boxes and the Velocity sequencers expanded. everthing else should be collapsed or "hidden" If you look at the routing page it will appear all a tangle. As I see the modules view as the main interface in use. Of course if you want to change things around. then move things around so it's easier to see what you are doing in setup mode. Do this with all modules collapsed much easier to keep an overview that way.

Now I've done the work. This Global editor could be useful for a lot of things.. Much hard work and thought has gone into making it. Hope you can figure it out.

One more thing you will have to set up you own sound modules in the Sound Generator stack.

Good Night and Good Luck

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip Remoteeditor.zip (327.6 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-05-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Default Some more thoughts about using the Editor

Whats this Remote Editor idea.

Why.

Well it's to get a few tools for getting at a range of sequencers across several stack.

I experiment and work sometimes with dozens or even fifty sequencers..

Now in this situation you can get the most intense sea of sound going.

But it can also be claustrophobic to have so much going on. It's like the technology takes the control.. Maybe that's fine if things are against all odds going well. But if there's some aspect of the whole sound, how the various sequencers are meshing together or perhaps some of the pitches aren't working out. Rythmically you could just be on the edge of hitting a really really sweet spot.. But to go in and Tweek 50 individual sequences. seems like such an effort that you just let it pass.

This editor the Remote editor. Or the MASS editor is an attempt to break the chains of overburdening of tweeks.

Yes I described it as a editor that can access 8 mono notes with three parametres.

But there is also the possiblity to address 24 sequences with just one editor sequencer if you want to .

Set this up by choosing the mono notes, 1-24 in your 6x4 stacks for example, then setup 9 presets with the parametre changing on a per preset basis for example Preset 1 = Notes (Step Value), preset 2= GateLen Preset 3 = Velocity and so on. And you will have to link you One velocity sequencer and Offset SigProcessor to all twenty four paramods.

The important factor to remember is that the scaling of the Velocity sequencer has to match the Destination parametre. Find the Destinations parameter range by grabbing it's slider or knob and watching the values that are output..If this method fails try using the CV mixer and scope. I've setup the Remote editor so things are set correctly for the destination parameters I've chosen in my three groups A,B and C.

Remember the Sequencer has to be running for the Remote editor to work. But you are not recording RT dont' set the destination sequencers into Record. The output from the editor is focused on a per step basis. This has certain ramifications, the editor sequence has to be at least equal or greater in length than the destination sequencer. If you try and edit a 32 note sequencer with a 16 note editor, the last 16 tones will remain unchanged.. A very interesting ADVANTAGE is that if you want to focus your edits on just three steps of a sequence say 13,14, 15, then just make sure you set your editor to have a start step of 13, and an end step of 15, and all the other steps in you destination sequence will be left unchanged.. This also means that the timing of the editor sequencer does not have to match the destination sequencer. It helps if it is close though. You would not for example want to have an editor set to whole note clock divisions and try and edit a destination sequencer thats running at 1/32 clock division.

Another point, the presets are defaults so to make it easy to start it's probably a good idea to duplicate the 3 presets. Then keep the orginals a initialize functions.

When getting into using the Remote editor on your sequencers it could be a good idea to make "save original state"preset of your sequencers so you can return to your starting point should you want to. The editor basically can erase everthing in your sequencer in one pass if you not careful. That's why I included the mute button boxes.

Two downloads over 2 days, not much interest but I can tell you that there's fire in this beast. Haven't you ever wanted to adjust say gates so you get the same phrasing in a set of 10 sequencers, but leave their notes and velocities alone?

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-07-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM

MetaEdita

I'm playing with it now, trying to figure it out and I'm finding lots of interesting ideas to try and spin off of this.

I'm going to need to break it down to one velocity sequencer to fully understand (and see!) what's going on, but I'm finding potential in setting the rate differently.

I haven't worked this thought out fully...but I'm thinking about the possibilities of further modularizing the idea using cv switches in the "remote editors stack" and putting the param mods in their own stack(s), maybe one per velocity sequencer?

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way to change the targets of multiple param mods at once. Most of the targets produce interesting results! I might just zone out and make a bunch of presets, but that'll have to wait until the end then when I'm more confident in the configuration. Like I said, I gotta spend some time to break it down.

As an aside, I'm not sure how you mange all those wires! You must have a big screen? I hook up a second monitor in portrait mode to make things easier, but that isn't always possible.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
MetaEdita

I'm playing with it now, trying to figure it out and I'm finding lots of interesting ideas to try and spin off of this.

I'm going to need to break it down to one velocity sequencer to fully understand (and see!) what's going on, but I'm finding potential in setting the rate differently.

I haven't worked this thought out fully...but I'm thinking about the possibilities of further modularizing the idea using cv switches in the "remote editors stack" and putting the param mods in their own stack(s), maybe one per velocity sequencer?

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way to change the targets of multiple param mods at once. Most of the targets produce interesting results! I might just zone out and make a bunch of presets, but that'll have to wait until the end then when I'm more confident in the configuration. Like I said, I gotta spend some time to break it down.

As an aside, I'm not sure how you mange all those wires! You must have a big screen? I hook up a second monitor in portrait mode to make things easier, but that isn't always possible.
That just it I move the Velocity sequencers and the button boxes up into the top of the stack for usablity purposes. For rewiring It would be best to bring each element down the stack to where it's directed connections are..

The basics of using it is to make a copy of each basic preset and then experiment. The basic preset is like a initialize function. The range and the initial values they send out are basically the default for the chosen parmeter.

To make new parameter destinations take one of the bas presets copy it and then give it descriptive name, then change the parametre fields..

Good luck. That thing never would have occured to me had I not started working on projects with a lot of modules.. I missed a function where you could change just one parameter instead copying the whole state of a module..

Wade