Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Poly Pressure device for version 4 please

Hi Jim,

Been a long time. Very glad to see that version 4 is coming along nicely.

A small request that will hopefully make more sense when I explain. Poly pressure support till now has been something which has only really been offered on very expensive hardware. But now that the both Wolfgang Palm (PPG) & Moog have made exceptionally expressive instruments for IOS that are heavily reliant on poly pressure control I thought what a wonderful partner Numerology would make for both Animoog & the PPG IOS synths.

Here's an example of Geert Bevin playing Animoog via an Eigenharp to give an idea as to the expressive opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTM5WjOYAro

Cheers,

jm
------------
http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Administrator

I've been slow to reply to this post as I'm not quite sure how I would add poly aftertouch to Numerology. -- I could certainly add a "CV to Poly Aftertouch" module, and that could be useful as a starting point, but really that doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM

Hi Jim,

I see it as being much more simple than that. In fact in my minds eye the layout would be identical to the MonoNote sequencer (in that it would have three lanes) but for each lane you could select the note/s to be affected by Poly Pressure. It's effectively an extension of the way you treat Channel Pressure at the moment. Incidentally, this is the way I've been using Numerology with Animoog up until now. I change all of the mod settings in Aninmoog that reference Poly Pressure to Channel Pressure - this works really well for monophonic sequences but you lose out a tad on poly sequences.

And now that I think of it this same methodology would work really well for mod wheel & bend automation too - especially if you build smooth interpolation into the parameter changes generated by each slider.

Just a thought anyway.

jm
------------
Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM

Any further thoughts on this Jim?

jm
------------
Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Administrator

I'm thinking of a few options:

1. Allow a pref in the NoteSeqs to generate aftertouch instead of 'channel pressure' -- it would generate the message for the note being played, and then (I guess), clear it out after the note ends -- though I could see some issues there.

2. Same as above, but do it for the CV channels instead -- I think this is what you are suggesting. I'd have to add note ranges. But then, the more
general case of this is:

3. An AftertouchGen module with a CV input and note range -- both by pitch and velocity. It would have a MIDI input to determine which notes to generate it for. A bit more work to setup than 2, but more flexible.

4. Add a module to convert Note messages to Aftertouch messages -- that would allow for several options, such as using a 'shadow' sequence to generate aftertouch, or using velocity and/or pitch based filtering to limit aftertouch to certain zones.

I think this is a case where I just need to chew on it a while...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 AM

Cheers Jim, great to know it's on your radar for V4.

Your 2nd option is closest to what I have in my mind. I'll do a quick mock-up for you which will hopefully express what I have in my mind a little better.

The most important thing for me is that it's simple to target the individual notes being affected by aftertouch.