Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Just set the MIDI out of the Numerology stack to point to the SQ80 and you should be fine. Create an audio track in Logic and set the audio input for that track to be the appropriate channels on your audio interface where the SQ80 is connected.

Jim
Good news!!! It worked as you said it would Jim

BUT.... there always is a but.....

When I record the hardware synths output to an audio track, i'd say that it's late by somewhere in the region of 6 ms. (average from 294 samples to 372 samples late off the grid)

Will the soon to be added to the SE version "Clock Offset" cure this?

FWIW Using Logic 9, Unitor 8, audio buffer of 32 samples, the worst case scenario midi jitter I've tested was around 1.7 ms!!! Tighter than an Atari/Notator/Unitor 2 set up which I also tested (2.2ms) !! And this was with Logic 9 under HEAVY CPU load. So I know that Logic 9 can be very tight on midi.

Just need Numerology to work as tight with it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
like i said.. i tend to use logic as a tape machine. keep it simple.. limits editing obsessiveness and captures the feel of a jam session.

i get all my sounds right long before i'm ready to record.. then tweak various midi parameters in numerology or FX settings of hardware FX units etc.

it's just a different way of working.

i guess capturing the midi simultaneously is a good idea though depending on the song etc. i may set up a template for that in logic.
That's cool, everyone has their way of working, just wanted to point the MIDI thing out.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Lover View Post
When I record the hardware synths output to an audio track, i'd say that it's late by somewhere in the region of 6 ms. (average from 294 samples to 372 samples late off the grid)

Will the soon to be added to the SE version "Clock Offset" cure this?
I'll be adding something. I don't know if it will be the same clock offset system available in Pro now, or something else. I'm still working it out with the AU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Lover View Post
FWIW Using Logic 9, Unitor 8, audio buffer of 32 samples, the worst case scenario midi jitter I've tested was around 1.7 ms!!! Tighter than an Atari/Notator/Unitor 2 set up which I also tested (2.2ms) !! And this was with Logic 9 under HEAVY CPU load. So I know that Logic 9 can be very tight on midi.

Just need Numerology to work as tight with it.
Just to clarify the difference between latency and jitter (which, btw, I'll be adding all this to the new manual):

Latency is the delay in time from when you'd like something to happen (hear the midi note) until when it happens. Reducing audio buffer size reduces latency, etc. The clock offset module in N3 Pro allows one to reduce MIDI latency between one app and another or between an app and a hardware device, etc.

Jitter, when talking about MIDI, is a small, random variation in timing, typically on the order of a single ms or so, and on OS X happens when you try to generate MIDI without proper timestamps.

I'm working now to tightly control both in the AU right now. For the App, Jitter is a non-issue running standalone. Latency I haven't really checked, but will soon. In ReWire mode, jitter is a bit of an issue, but I can reuse the scheduling algorithm from the AU to improve it.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-09-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post

Just to clarify the difference between latency and jitter (which, btw, I'll be adding all this to the new manual):

Jim
Sorry got a bit side tracked in my post, but to confirm I was testing midi jitter variance with L9 Vs Atari. There is also midi latency depending on each hardware synths reaction time to midi data, but by using the delay function for each track in L9, I can pretty much record hardware synths bang on the grid....... with a max jitter of 1.7 ms of course
Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno garza View Post
That's cool, everyone has their way of working, just wanted to point the MIDI thing out.
i'm glad you did! it will be useful for me to try a different method some times because one working method isn't always ideal in every situation.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Default re-up

Hi guys is it possible to re-up the videos!??!?! im trying to solve this problem to.

tks for everything

cheers
Old 11-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhull View Post
Hi guys is it possible to re-up the videos!??!?! im trying to solve this problem to.

tks for everything

cheers
My hosting site is having problems.
I have a ticket with them right now.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Okay, it's back up now.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM

tks mate
Old 12-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Administrator

An update to this thread: Now that Logic supports "Audio Unit MIDI Effects", you should use the Numerology AUMX plugin with Logic. It gives you zero-config MIDI routing to an AU Instrument with very accurate timing. You can still use the regular AU, but then you have to work with the Logic Environment to handle MIDI routing. Another option is to use Numerology in ReWire mode -- but for most folks, the AUMX is the way to go.

Cheers,
Jim