Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-21-2017, 11:32 AM

Default Improvisation and playing within N4?

Quote:
No question is too silly
I hope so.
I'm afraid the title of this post is too vague, excuse my limitations in English.

I've been reading the forum, especially this post: Can I throw my DAW out?.

I wanted to know if playing "live" is possible within Numerology. As far as I've seen, I could be using it as a "backing track" while I improvise, play melodies in a VST of choice with a certain MIDI controller.

So the workflow would be something like this:
- Sequence some bass and rhythms: single chord or chord progression, auto generative...
- Arrange it as wished
- Load a synth and play on top of the sequence, better inside of N4 to keep things tidy and neat.

I'm no so interested in recording, at least not at a production level but more in saving some ideas on top of which to play.

Right now I have Logic, which I purchased because of Alchemy and Sculpture. I have recorded some "backing tracks" there and play but honestly, it is a monster for my needs.

I use a Novation Launchpad pro in note mode as MIDI controller because I'm and old bass player and can't "see" the music in a traditional keyboard.

I dream on a Linnstrument. Maybe one day...

I'm looking for a more simple set up and workflow. A single stand-alone synth could do the job but I miss playing "with others". If I could use N4 in this setup I could use the Launchpad as the sequencer and the Linnstrument (whenever it comes) as my "live" instrument.

I hope I have explained clearly. Looking forward your answers.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Administrator

There are a variety of ways you can setup Numerology for live arrangements and playing. Definitely using the Launchpad as a controller for Numerology is the place to start. I usually use two of them, usually tasking one for bass sequencing, the other for drums -- but even a single launchpad can edit most of an entire project. You can start with some backing tracks and quickly modify them as needed.

There is also the "Performance Controller" setup, which is still pretty new and I've yet to finish writing up the doc for it. The idea is to use a MIDI Keyboard for programming sequences (both realtime and step-wise), navigating among stacks, and controlling them w/ any extra knobs and buttons that are available. More details here: http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=3409

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-23-2017, 02:56 AM

Hi Jim
Thank you for your reply. Using the launchpad pro for making changes in the sequences on the fly is definitely a great feature that allows for a more "physical" playing. I've seen the videos on YouTube and Vimeo.

What I'd like to know is whether Numerology allows for playing the synths it can host as you would play, say, a guitar or a drum set. I could do this using Num. as a plugin in Logic, then having another track for other instrument but I'd rather not use Logic. I could even load a stand-alone synth and just play (but then I would miss the "band")

So I guess my question is whether I can host software synths in Numerology and play them as a guitarist or bassist plays his/her instrument in "real life" besides sequencing.

Again, thank you for your answers.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiantong View Post
So I guess my question is whether I can host software synths in Numerology and play them as a guitarist or bassist plays his/her instrument in "real life" besides sequencing.
The answer depends on whether you are running Numerology standalone or as a plugin. In standalone mode, yes, definitely. In Plugin mode, Numerology does not host other plugins. However, in Logic, for instance, you can have the Numerology AU MIDI Effect plugin on a track along with an instrument track. This allows you to sequence that instrument via Numerology, or if you are using a Note Sequencer and set the Input Mode to 'Thru' you can play that instrument from a keyboard.

Try the demo and let me know!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 AM

Thank you, Jim, that is what I wanted to hear. I'll try the demo version.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
The answer depends on whether you are running Numerology standalone or as a plugin. In standalone mode, yes, definitely. In Plugin mode, Numerology does not host other plugins. However, in Logic, for instance, you can have the Numerology AU MIDI Effect plugin on a track along with an instrument track. This allows you to sequence that instrument via Numerology, or if you are using a Note Sequencer and set the Input Mode to 'Thru' you can play that instrument from a keyboard.

Try the demo and let me know!

Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim, is the demo fully featured? Very cool project by the way, Tiantong. I'd love to know what you come up with.