Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Default report(bug?): ableton (osx) + numerology vst CPU problems

Hello!

Im posting this here since i don't have access the the bug forum.
But here goes:

When I'm using Numerology as a VST plugin my ableton cpu goes crazy on me when I'm tweaking stuff using my Push-knobs (i guess it goes for most usb controllers since i can even notice it slightly hammering buttons on the launchpad).

Switching tracks also gives me CPU spikes which result in crackles and pops just like the knob tweaking does.
This happens even when the project is empty with ONLY the numerology plugin added and just tweaking unbound knobs with no parameters linked.

the cpu hit gets really bad (and worse when using 64bit version of ableton, approx twice as bad) when I'm tweaking more than one knob at the same time. trying to tweak 3-4 knobs can have up to 20% added cpu for me. more knobs even up to 30%! thats with NOTHING going on, no sound or anything, just empty numerology vst and twisting knobs.

Quite annoying and at this time its close to ruining the use of the push all together with ableton for me.
is there a fix for this or workaround?

it doesn't happen like this with any other soft synth-vst's or such, only when numerology is in the ableton project.

desperate for help.

oh yeah, I'm using the 152 release.
Tried 153 too now, same issue.

Last edited by modusoperandi; 03-12-2015 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM

Noone else is experiencing this??
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modusoperandi View Post
Noone else is experiencing this??
I'm having a few problems with OSX Live 9 64 bit and Numerology at the moment and will be going right through my system in the next day or two. Now where did the vst version of Numerology go??
Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 AM

Ive never seen an issue with N4 causing particularly high cpu spikes, that lead to audio issues.

I don't really trust the CPU meter in Live (its flawed in a number of ways), but as you mentioned it, I had a quick look, and I do see it increase a bit when you twist encoders (even when not attached to anything) BUT not so much it causes an issue.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM

try it when you have a song with high load, and twist 2 or more encoders constantly. this isnt a flaw in the cpu meter, but it has actual effect on the performance.

i can add that it does NOT happen at all when i don't have an instance of numerology in a project.

Last edited by modusoperandi; 03-17-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:49 PM

Default Why use Num as a VST plugin?

What is the need for Numerology to instantiate as a VST plugin? You can launch Live, then Num, and pipe the MIDI from Numerology to any Live track. As long as you've installed the ReWire driver, Numerology will start and stop along with Live just fine.

As I typically use AUs, I use ReWire in this manner to get the audio directly into Live tracks, but just tested this using the IAC bus to feed a VST plugin and it seemed to work without issues.

Let me know if you want step-by-step instructions and I'm happy to post back.

Best,
Anton

[edit]BTW, I'm not challenging your choice to load as a VST plug-in and am simply curious to know why. As we're not speaking to each other in the same room, I want to try to be certain you interpret my question correctly.[/edit]

Last edited by RitualAudio; 04-05-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by modusoperandi View Post
try it when you have a song with high load, and twist 2 or more encoders constantly. this isnt a flaw in the cpu meter, but it has actual effect on the performance.

i can add that it does NOT happen at all when i don't have an instance of numerology in a project.
First, apologies for the delay in replying, I'm usually pretty good checking all new forum posts. In general though, *always* shoot me an email if you don't get a quick reply to a question on the forum.

Regarding the CPU issue, try this: Do whatever you need to do to repeat the issue (Twist knobs for 15 sec or so, etc), then use the 'mail button' on the N4 VST UI to report a bug -- be sure to mention "N4 VST /Push CPU issue" in the comments.

Jim
Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitualAudio View Post
What is the need for Numerology to instantiate as a VST plugin?
MIDI Timing to instruments hosted in Live is a bit better with the VST, and MIDI Routing is a bit easier, if a bit more limited. OTOH, ReWire mode allows you to keep all your stacks in the same window, and you can host plugins within N4, which makes modulating them easier. Both approaches work well, it really comes down to which workflow you prefer.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 AM

alright, report is in the mail.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 AM

Hey,

has there been a result?? I am facing the same problem using Korg Nano Kontrol 2. Should I send you a report too?

I think on 32 this wasnt an issue. I just recently switched to 64 bits.

I will experiment with rewire. Long term I think I want to use only N4, but for now I would prefer the VST solution.

Tags
ableton, cpu, numerology, usb, vst