Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 09-24-2015, 05:54 PM

Default 8-Track Gate Sequencer + SW

Hi - I am trying to make an 8-track gate sequencer using 8 Silent Way Voice controllers getting the gate outs from 8 pairs of GateSeqs/NoteGens. This all to go out through ES-3 (which has 8 outs) to my modular.

All is good, actually, as long as I don't do more than 6 gate sequences. The issue I run into, and I realize this is probably how the VCs work, is that for OUT 1-2 on the first two VCs I can have the first VC output the first gate sequence and the second VC output the second gate sequence - works great (using Out 15-16 for the first two VCs but setting the gates in the Outputs). I had thought if I take the third gate sequence (from the third GateSeq/NoteGen pair) into the third VC and have its Out 1-2 set to the third & fourth ADAT out (Out 17-18) on the ES-3 it would work, but it doesn't. It _does_ work if I use Out 3-4 for gate sequences #3 and #4. In retrospect this does not surprise me, but I had hoped it might work since they are separate VCs.

But, of course, this way I am limited to 6 sequences, not 8. Is there any way to get those last two gate sequences? End goal is to have eight running gate sequences triggering eight EGs/VCAs which all have tuned sine waves as inputs...sine drones in all sorts of tunings...

Edit - Hmmm, perhaps I should use the same sort of setup for polyphonic MIDI. Make a Master Voice Controller, and eight slave VCs?

Thanks!

Last edited by slyfrank; 09-24-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Administrator

If you're just generating gate values (and thus do not need pitch calibration), you don't need to use SW VC at all, in N4 Pro, you can just use the CVToAudio module, so much simpler to setup...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfrank View Post
Edit - Hmmm, perhaps I should use the same sort of setup for polyphonic MIDI. Make a Master Voice Controller, and eight slave VCs?
That sounds reasonable, but I haven't tried it myself....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
If you're just generating gate values (and thus do not need pitch calibration), you don't need to use SW VC at all, in N4 Pro, you can just use the CVToAudio module, so much simpler to setup...

Cheers,
Jim
This works like a charm. I didn't even know this module existed! I definitely still need to dig through all these modules and the last bit of the manual...Anyway, once I figured out that I also needed the Audio Out module using this method this is working great. I knew there had to be a way to do this.

Thanks once again, Jim!
Old 09-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfrank View Post
This works like a charm. I didn't even know this module existed! I definitely still need to dig through all these modules and the last bit of the manual...Anyway, once I figured out that I also needed the Audio Out module using this method this is working great. I knew there had to be a way to do this.

Thanks once again, Jim!
You're most welcome!

Cheers,
Jim