Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Logic 8 and Numerology2 (Recording MIDI/Sync BPM)

Here's 3 video tutorials on how to setup Numerology2 with Logic 8.

To keep the video short, I just work with 3 MIDI channels, but you can use all 16 MIDI channels from Numerology2. (Well, actually all 64 MIDI channels with Numerology2)

One thing that I found out by accident was, if I use the MIDI Clock but thru IAC, Numerology2 will sync on BPM with Logic 8 once I change the BPM in Logic 8.

http://www.digimixstudios.net/Numerology2Logic8Setup/
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 AM

Great videos! I learned a new trick for Logic from you :-)) How to split a midi region into multiple regions sorted by midi channel in the note data. Usually I use a Logic command called Explode Notes by MIDI Channel for this, but the trick you showed us - to export a midi file and drag it back in at an empty part of the arrange window canvas - that's even faster and simpler. Thanks a lot!
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 PM

No problem. I learn tricks like that from others as well.

Man, I've been having fun with Numerology2.
Amazing piece of software, even more so now that I have it working great with Logic 8.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 AM

Hi Bruno,

I am a logic user too and your video's helped a lot for me.
They are very clear.

So a big thanx !!

Kind regards,

Rob
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Cheers for this! Very very helpful
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno garza View Post
Here's 3 video tutorials on how to setup Numerology2 with Logic 8.

To keep the video short, I just work with 3 MIDI channels, but you can use all 16 MIDI channels from Numerology2. (Well, actually all 64 MIDI channels with Numerology2)

One thing that I found out by accident was, if I use the MIDI Clock but thru IAC, Numerology2 will sync on BPM with Logic 8 once I change the BPM in Logic 8.

http://www.digimixstudios.net/Numerology2Logic8Setup/
The video is down. Any chance of putting it back up please?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Lover View Post
I'll email Bruno to see what's up. I'm also working on one that will cover setups both for the app and the AU.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks Jim. Hope those vids will be back on line soon.

I've been trying to get N3 and Logic 9 working together using ReWire, but i've no prior knowledge of using this at all.

When using ReWire what is it exactly that im doing...?
a) Midi data from Numerology is sent to Logic to control instruments setup on Logic tracks
or b) Numerology stacks are set up and controlling midi instruments and audio routed from Numerology and then into Logic?

Sorry if that's a basic question.....

I should also mention that i only use hardware synths so what's my best route if using ReWire to have the tighest timing sync between the two? I work with a 32 sample audio buffer in Logic, software monitoring on, and find this gives me no noticeable latency with my hardware synths.

Last edited by Logos Lover; 11-03-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
When using ReWire what is it exactly that im doing...?
a) Midi data from Numerology is sent to Logic to control instruments setup on Logic tracks
or b) Numerology stacks are set up and controlling midi instruments and audio routed from Numerology and then into Logic?
You can do both, or either. For the most accurate timing, it is better to host instruments in Numerology and pipe the resulting audio into Logic for recording. However, that will not work for Logic's built-in instruments, so in that case you have to route MIDI from Numerology to Logic. That does introduce some latency. I'm working on a solution for that with the AU version and plan to port it over to the ReWire driver once it has settled down a bit.

FYI: a 32 sample buffer is extremely small, so keep a close eye on the CPU monitor.

Also, feel free to tell me more about your setup, I may have further suggestions.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
The video is back up.
I notice your further posts with Jim.

The video shows how to setup using IAC and not Rewire.

I notice you guys mentioned latency, but for me that's not an issue only because my main goal was to get MIDI out of Numerology into Logic for playback first, but then eventually to record into Logic.

Once its in Logic in its own track with MIDI data, if anything was slightly out of sync, I just quantize the MIDI data for all the channels, then latency goes away.

Using the Logic Enviroment, you would just cable to a MIDI out device to your hardware synth.
Let me know if you want a video of that, I have a Korg Triton Rack and can show how to set that up for hardware synths.