Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
you have to route MIDI from Numerology to Logic. That does introduce some latency.
Now that I think about this, I know you'd get latency from audio, but how would you get latency from MIDI.
MIDI has timing information that you can send before the note is played so when the time comes for a note to play, it'll play then, not when it gets the MIDI note information.

Of course if someone is playing the notes, it's not latency.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
For the most accurate timing, it is better to host instruments in Numerology and pipe the resulting audio into Logic for recording.
I have Logic and NSE 3 and i'm trying to sync them using the method you mention Jim.

In Logic I have my hardware SQ80 synth with one midi track, and one audio track with input monitoring turned on.

In NSE I have a stack with a mononote, with midi input as "SQ80" and audio input as "audio bus A" ( i have no other options to chose from apart from audio busses A-H) Not sure what "Audio Bus A" is but it's selected as NSE audio input.

Midi output is set to "SQ80" BUT "audio output" is set to "None" YET I still hear the SQ80 coming through the mixer in Logic!!

This can only mean that i have not set things up correct for audio to be streamed from Numerology through to Logic, and it must mean that NSE is instead sending midi data to Logic, then to the SQ80 synth, which in turn I can hear through the input monitoring enabled audio channel.

How do I get audio from the hardware synth in NSE 3 piped through to Logic's mixer via ReWire without midi data being sent to Logic, and in turn onto the SQ80 midi channel set up there?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Lover View Post
I have Logic and NSE 3 and i'm trying to sync them using the method you mention Jim.

In Logic I have my hardware SQ80 synth with one midi track, and one audio track with input monitoring turned on.

In NSE I have a stack with a mononote, with midi input as "SQ80" and audio input as "audio bus A" ( i have no other options to chose from apart from audio busses A-H) Not sure what "Audio Bus A" is but it's selected as NSE audio input.

Midi output is set to "SQ80" BUT "audio output" is set to "None" YET I still hear the SQ80 coming through the mixer in Logic!!

This can only mean that i have not set things up correct for audio to be streamed from Numerology through to Logic, and it must mean that NSE is instead sending midi data to Logic, then to the SQ80 synth, which in turn I can hear through the input monitoring enabled audio channel.

How do I get audio from the hardware synth in NSE 3 piped through to Logic's mixer via ReWire without midi data being sent to Logic, and in turn onto the SQ80 midi channel set up there?
In ReWire mode, there's no audio input in Numerology, so you have to route audio directly from the SQ80 into Logic via Logic's audio inputs. Based on what you describe above, it looks like that is already happening, but I'd have to see your Logic setup to know more. My comment about "hosting instruments in Numerology" only applies to AUs. For hardware synths, just route MIDI from Numerology to the synth, then capture the audio in the DAW.

Also, the "Audio Bus A" is one of Numerology's internal audio busses that are usually used for aux sends.

Feel free to post (or email me) w/ more info about your setup and what you want to do and I may have more tips.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
For hardware synths, just route MIDI from Numerology to the synth, then capture the audio in the DAW.
Cheers,
Jim
Is this best done using Bruno's method?

To route only midi from Numerology to the hardware synth in Logic, what should I have my various menu's set to in Numerology?

And to just leave the "audio" tabs set to none?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:

To route only midi from Numerology to the hardware synth in Logic,
what? i'm confused by what you are asking. are you routing midi from N3 into logic then out to hardware synths?

when i want to record my hardware boxes that are being played by numerology i just route the audio into logic and press record in logic and then play on numerology.. then i go back after the recording is done and trim the beginning of the audio files in logic and make sure i have the tempos set the same.

i just let them run unsync'd because i'm just recording the audio and it doesn't really matter. Logc is just acting like a tape machine recording the hardware. Midi goes from Numerology directly to the hardware and not through anything else.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You only need to do that if you are controlling instruments in Logic. Logic's default MIDI setup sends *all* MIDI coming into the program to all instrument plugins by default -- that's fine if you have a single keyboard controller, not so great otherwise. Logic also has some odd rules on how MIDI is routed to instrument tracks set to record. The end result is that you have to dig into the Environment setup and make changes it if you want something different.

In your case, since you are directly addressing a hardware MIDI port, so you don't have to worry about Logic seeing that MIDI stream.

Quote:
To route only midi from Numerology to the hardware synth in Logic, what should I have my various menu's set to in Numerology?
Just set the MIDI out of the Numerology stack to point to the SQ80 and you should be fine. Create an audio track in Logic and set the audio input for that track to be the appropriate channels on your audio interface where the SQ80 is connected.

Quote:
And to just leave the "audio" tabs set to none?
Yep!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Just set the MIDI out of the Numerology stack to point to the SQ80 and you should be fine. Create an audio track in Logic and set the audio input for that track to be the appropriate channels on your audio interface where the SQ80 is connected.

Yep!

Cheers,
Jim
Ok i understand this now. Will try it out later on. Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
...then i go back after the recording is done and trim the beginning of the audio files in logic and make sure i have the tempos set the same.
Keep your setup the same but setup the MIDI Clock on Logic and Numerology with IAC (like I show in my video), then there's no need to trim your recorded audio in Logic because your recorded audio is already sync'd to the tempo you started in Logic.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
what? i'm confused by what you are asking. are you routing midi from N3 into logic then out to hardware synths?

when i want to record my hardware boxes that are being played by numerology i just route the audio into logic and press record in logic and then play on numerology.. then i go back after the recording is done and trim the beginning of the audio files in logic and make sure i have the tempos set the same.

i just let them run unsync'd because i'm just recording the audio and it doesn't really matter. Logc is just acting like a tape machine recording the hardware. Midi goes from Numerology directly to the hardware and not through anything else.
If you route all MIDI data into Logic, you can still hear the song with your hardware device with your current setup, but instead of recording the audio, MIDI data is saved in Logic in an Instrument Track.
Again, there's no need to "trim" any audio at that point either since everything is MIDI.

On playback, you can play to your hardware device (and eventually record to audio) or you can loaded and play other software instruments to see if maybe another instrument sounds better with the MIDI data that was captured and recorded from Numerology.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno garza View Post
If you route all MIDI data into Logic, you can still hear the song with your hardware device with your current setup, but instead of recording the audio, MIDI data is saved in Logic in an Instrument Track.
Again, there's no need to "trim" any audio at that point either since everything is MIDI.

On playback, you can play to your hardware device (and eventually record to audio) or you can loaded and play other software instruments to see if maybe another instrument sounds better with the MIDI data that was captured and recorded from Numerology.
like i said.. i tend to use logic as a tape machine. keep it simple.. limits editing obsessiveness and captures the feel of a jam session.

i get all my sounds right long before i'm ready to record.. then tweak various midi parameters in numerology or FX settings of hardware FX units etc.

it's just a different way of working.

i guess capturing the midi simultaneously is a good idea though depending on the song etc. i may set up a template for that in logic.