Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Numerology 4.1 Build 153

A few quick fixes. Updates for the Push and hopefully MIDI import are coming soon...

N4 PRO: http://www.five12.com/NumerologyPro-4.1-Build153.dmg
N4 SE: http://www.five12.com/NumerologySE-4.1-Build153.dmg

Numerology 4 Build 153

- Sample Kit / RTA : Fixes a problem when using RTA w/ the SampleKit.
- Audio I/O Menus : Fixed an issue with duplicated Inputs & Outputs.
- Contact Five12 : Tweaked the internals to make it easier to move servers.
- Moved the installation logs.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:04 PM

PRO here. Just downloaded and installed Build153 but I'm having some issues:

- When double-clicking a preset I can not type, into the Preset Properties, the MIDI Program Change number I want to call it up with.

- It doesn't help to go into Stack Properties and turn off Automatic MIDI Assign.

In the last build I had, 151, I was able to type in the needed PrgCh number, although external preset triggering by PrgCh did not work. Now external PrgCh are working for triggering presets. The problem though is that I need other numbers than are automatically assigned. The only workaround I can see to solve this for me is to temporarily reorder all that stack's presets and run the Automatic MIDI Assign and after that change back the order to the order I use at concert. Quite time consuming - is it meant to work like that? Or are there some extra work-under-progress left in here besides the 153 version notes?
soundcloud.com/pboy

Last edited by Per Boysen; 03-08-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen View Post
PRO here. Just downloaded and installed Build153 but I'm having some issues:

- When double-clicking a preset I can not type, into the Preset Properties, the MIDI Program Change number I want to call it up with.

- It doesn't help to go into Stack Properties and turn off Automatic MIDI Assign.
Did you try clicking on the number box and dragging the mouse? It seems to work fine over here… Email me a screenshot of the dialog -- I might see something...

Quote:
In the last build I had, 151, I was able to type in the needed PrgCh number, although external preset triggering by PrgCh did not work. Now external PrgCh are working for triggering presets. The problem though is that I need other numbers than are automatically assigned. The only workaround I can see to solve this for me is to temporarily reorder all that stack's presets and run the Automatic MIDI Assign and after that change back the order to the order I use at concert. Quite time consuming - is it meant to work like that?
Nope -- the auto-assign is meant for when one wants to pre-assign prog change messages on a controller and then have that tied to a position in the playlist instead of a specific preset. In your case, it sounds like manually setting the preset number is indeed what you want. But I am scratching my head a bit as to why it would stop working for you -- I haven't changed anything in that area...

Quote:
Or are there some extra work-under-progress left in here besides the 153 version notes?
Often, but not in this case…

Best,
Jim
Old 03-10-2015, 05:41 PM

Yes, manually setting the preset numbers would be great for me! But I can get around this by changing the Prgm Ch numbers sent out from my MIDI pedalboard controller. I really like the Push support now. Can't wait to start doing serious stuff with Numerology and Push as soon as the CC#64 pedal is working. Sorry about that, but I need to produce tracks on a tight schedule and the sustain pedal is essential. So I'm forced to wait while working through other platforms meanwhile.

The setup that I'm so happy with is to run modular sequencing in Numerology and piping all the MIDI, plus my live playing in the Keyboard stack, through the IAC bus on different MIDI channels to Mainstage 3. When a track sounds ok I record all Stack MIDI outputs and move over to Logic for mixing and sound design. I'm really happy with that work flow! The same hours put in can lead to both recorded tracks and live setups for concerts, very efficient! Thanks a lot - Numerology really rocks with the Push.
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, manually setting the preset numbers would be great for me! But I can get around this by changing the Prgm Ch numbers sent out from my MIDI pedalboard controller. I really like the Push support now. Can't wait to start doing serious stuff with Numerology and Push as soon as the CC#64 pedal is working. Sorry about that, but I need to produce tracks on a tight schedule and the sustain pedal is essential. So I'm forced to wait while working through other platforms meanwhile.
Support for both Push Pedals will be in the next build…

Jim
Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
But I am scratching my head a bit as to why it would stop working for you --
My bad. You can stop scratching now :-) I didn't know that in order to pipe the external MIDI input to the preset playlist you need to drag a cable from the stack's MIDI in to its MIDI out (skipping over all modules). When I tried that it started working and I can now "play" the ten presets from my MIDI pedalboard.

I was also able to double-click the presets and type in the Pgr Ch numbers manually, something that didn't work yesterday (for unknown reasons). But I could not type in Prg Ch #1 so I had to start with Prg Ch #2 for my first preset.

Quote:
Support for both Push Pedals will be in the next build…
Wow, that is so great news! CAn't wait to start playing; Sustain pedal on the right foot, as usual, and a "something else" pedal to the left.

The scale of the Keyboard module is very good. It amazes me that neither Live nor Bitwig offers that scale! Great to have a standing layout for each octave and instant access to all the half notes in between.

But the "In Key 4ths" layout of Live and Bitwig is also very useful. In the very best of worlds I'd like to have that one together with the Five12 Keyboard Module layout. And switching between them with the upper-right-conrner smaller sized pad.
soundcloud.com/pboy

Last edited by Per Boysen; 03-15-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My bad. You can stop scratching now :-) I didn't know that in order to pipe the external MIDI input to the preset playlist you need to drag a cable from the stack's MIDI in to its MIDI out (skipping over all modules). When I tried that it started working and I can now "play" the ten presets from my MIDI pedalboard..
Great to hear -- though that does sound like an odd behavior, I'll check it out...

Quote:
I was also able to double-click the presets and type in the Pgr Ch numbers manually, something that didn't work yesterday (for unknown reasons). But I could not type in Prg Ch #1 so I had to start with Prg Ch #2 for my first preset. .
Are you running standalone, or one of the plugins?

Quote:
Wow, that is so great news! CAn't wait to start playing; Sustain pedal on the right foot, as usual, and a "something else" pedal to the left.

The scale of the Keyboard module is very good. It amazes me that neither Live nor Bitwig offers that scale! Great to have a standing layout for each octave and instant access to all the half notes in between.

But the "In Key 4ths" layout of Live and Bitwig is also very useful. In the very best of worlds I'd like to have that one together with the Five12 Keyboard Module layout. And switching between them with the upper-right-conrner smaller sized pad.
I much prefer the traditional layout -- which probably has much to do with me having had piano lessons back in the day. It is an interesting design conundrum for any music software -- how to come up with fresh ideas to make it easier to learn and do things, while still preserving the traditional vocabulary and notation.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Hi Jim, all,

I'm currently getting back into using Numerology after not making music for a long while, and find myself stumbling onto lots of issues. Frankly, I feel underwhelmed about the new developments in N4, and am quite sad to see that most if not all issues that have been frustrating my usage of Numerology in the past still exist. Even worse: N4 seems to have regressed in some important respects.

One really important thing (to me, anyway) that is completely putting me off at the moment, is that stopping the (main) sequencer now always abruptly stops reverb/delay tails. The very same projects that play reverb/delay tails just fine in N3 sound like crap when playing in N4 and stopping the sequencer.

So, what gives? Is there some setting that I'm missing? How can I get my projects to play like they did in N3 again?

Cheers, Sjoerd
Old 03-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Boysen:
I was also able to double-click the presets and type in the Pgr Ch numbers manually, something that didn't work yesterday (for unknown reasons). But I could not type in Prg Ch #1 so I had to start with Prg Ch #2 for my first preset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Great to hear -- though that does sound like an odd behavior, I'll check it out...
Are you running standalone, or one of the plugins?
I'm running the standalone.
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 03-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Hi Jim, all,

I'm currently getting back into using Numerology after not making music for a long while, and find myself stumbling onto lots of issues. Frankly, I feel underwhelmed about the new developments in N4, and am quite sad to see that most if not all issues that have been frustrating my usage of Numerology in the past still exist. Even worse: N4 seems to have regressed in some important respects.

One really important thing (to me, anyway) that is completely putting me off at the moment, is that stopping the (main) sequencer now always abruptly stops reverb/delay tails. The very same projects that play reverb/delay tails just fine in N3 sound like crap when playing in N4 and stopping the sequencer.

So, what gives? Is there some setting that I'm missing? How can I get my projects to play like they did in N3 again?
I'm not aware of any changes that affect delays or reverb tails from N3 to N4 -- they both fade out pretty quickly for me over here… but I may have missed something. Send me an example project or video that shows the issue -- all N3 projects should play w/o any changes in N4.

I did just turn off an 'Audio Unit Reset' call on transport stop, and that does allow reverb/delay tails to play out fully… I know there were a couple other folks requesting that as well...

Best,
Jim