Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Tips & Tricks

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 05:13 AM

Default Long drones a new trick!

New Years coming so we need new tricks.

Recently I've been working with Drones and Pads, strange new ambient worlds, using iZotope iris, and now Padshop Pro, lame name but great tool.

I'm allergic to long sequences! It makes me feel tied to a long distant horizon, like it downgrades the NOW, makes for an unsettled mindset this human condition, unsatisfied with the present.

So I have a rule of thumb in Numerology use a maximum of 32 step sequences.

So imagine this with a pair of sequencers, a CV gate sequencer and a Poly note sequencer set to 16 step lengths each, I can move through the Polynotes 16 step cycle in up to 768 bars!!

How?

I patch the Gate Out of the Cv GateSeq into the trigger input of the PolyNote sequencer.

Set the Cv GateSeq to Clock Division 4xW set all it's gate values to max/tie except the 16th set that to step value .95 you have setup a gate On event every EDIT: 64 bars, thanks jue....

Now in the PolyNote set the Play mode to CV trigger Step. Loop on, Beat Quantize off, Auto Reset->off

Clock Division is set to 4xW but in CV trigger Step modus the Clock Division is not really that relevant. I think though, issues will pop up if the Clock Div is less than a Quarter note.

Now each gate on will advance your 16 step sequence one step every 64 bars..

But we are not finished yet, because the actual Gate Out's duration from the Polynote will still only last the 4xW or whatever Clock Div you have set.

So here is where I found a simple patch that makes this work. I inserted a midi CC generator before the instrument (Padshop Pro) gave it a CC value of 64 (sustain) patched the midi output into Padshop Pro. The midi CC generator gets its trigger from the CV GateSeq trigger generator that also advances the PolyNote.

Instant Drone heaven. Chords that are held as long as you want, lengthen your CV Gate Sequencer to 32 steps at 4xW Clock Division that's a whooping 1536 bars over the 16 steps of the Poly note.

The beauty of this setup is that you can have long drones combined with a fast tempo so any rythmic elements or drum tracks can be worked on in normal Clock Divisions.

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 12-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.