Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Preset Play Mode Options

Hi,
I think I asked about this when we had a email conversation a while ago, but I'd like to request this again.
I'd really like to see a play mode option for the presets, just like Geist has.
It has a restart mode, which is currently the only option that Numerology has.
But I'd also like to see an option where the preset enters at the point in the sequence where it currently is. I'd call it continuous mode.
This in Geist is the default setting.
Say preset 1 and preset 2 are 2 bars long, preset 1 plays, and when it's at say the second bar or beat you press preset 2, it starts where it left preset 1.
So basicly, in this mode -wether the presets are 1,2 or half bar or maybe even 3 beats long- they continuously loop, and start where they are in their individual loop.
It's a bit hard to explain, but if you have Geist you can check the play modes to see what I mean.
The third mode is a gate mode ( which explains itself I think, but can only be used with note midi assign offcourse )which can be used with restart or continuous mode.

Hope that's clear enough.
In the email conversation we had, I had a hard time explaining this, but in the end you agreed this could be usefull.

I hope you implement this in a future update.

Last edited by Sifaka; 08-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 AM

I can see you idea.

I think it would be pretty hard to implement, so I would suggest a work around while waiting for this to happen.

Two sequencers in parallel. Two synths in parallel. preset change Quantize off. Audio Switch moves from synth output 1 2 or even 3 or 4 to switch between four different sequencers..

This avoids the inevitable stuck notes..

Regards Wade
Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 AM

Why would you think this is hard to implement ?
I get your workaround solution, but that gets rather impossible with more than 4 presets. And if you use Numerology as a VST (as I mostly do) this workaround is impossible.
The gate mode is not that important to me, as I could use empty patterns to achieve this, but the other modes would be really helpfull.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifaka View Post
Why would you think this is hard to implement ?
I get your workaround solution, but that gets rather impossible with more than 4 presets. And if you use Numerology as a VST (as I mostly do) this workaround is impossible.
The gate mode is not that important to me, as I could use empty patterns to achieve this, but the other modes would be really helpfull.
I just speculate that it would be...

Anyways i setup the suggestion I made just for fun, I don't see any limitation as to the number of presets as long as the group of 4 sequencers have a unique character every 4 presets, as a limitation though I'm not rock solid on this, what I mean by this is that at any one time you could have access to four different sequencer versions by accessing presets 1 through 4, then the next four versions 5 through 8, 9 through 12. This mostly to prevent changing directly over to the same sequencer..hmm

I'm not saying that your suggestion shouldn't be implemented I like the concept. But I would think this work around is usable right now so why not?

Regards

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip ParallelTool.nmp.zip (32.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-11-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:22 AM

Thanks, I will try that.

I'm not a programmer, but if you tell every preset, that at the point the transport is running, they start to run in a loop, wouldn't it be just a matter of letting the preset thats selected trough.
I don't think it would be more difficult then telling it to restart as it does now.
But maybe it just 'sounds' easy
Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 AM

it would be much more elegant just to have one sequencer and synth to do this. So it all basically hinges on the hard restart at preset change. I think though this can be prevented just by turning Quanitze off. And making sure auto reset is off on the sequencer run mode settings.

Another thing that gives trouble when switching midi note streams is lost note offs. Though this might work if it's possible to keep gate times short enough so that problem is avoided.

For live use this would be a fantastic setup.

Gated modus is acheived by choosing midi trigger gated in the Play mode panel.

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-11-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:54 AM

I know that, but we are talking presets here, not the sequencers.
I want to 'play' different sequences.
But anyways, lets see what Jim has to say about this.
Thanks Wade.
Nice to be part of the most helpfull community of all
Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 AM

I'm having a gas playing with this idea but I noticed that I forgot to turn on Midi Transpose in the Parallel tool mono notes.

So I upload the corrected version here.

It's great to get inspired to new techniques in the Feature requests subforum here..

Now I can see my solution still does not work as the sequencers get reset on preset change, The only way then is to directly press the audio switch to move between the four sequencers. Then to move up to more version you would move up a preset in the list with four new versions..

Now you can use an external controller to move the switch to it's four different positions. If you have some kind of a hardware button box you could midi learn the audio switch positions I have inserted a button box, output CV out 1-4--> 4 Tenary Ops if True values 1-4 respectively if false 0, these four outputs into the audio switch, CV program in, set the switch to sequenced. Now all you have to do is midi learn the buttons.

This version has midi transpose turned on, and switching between audio streams without hiccups. to access more than 4 versions, then you would move down the preset list to get access to your 4 new versions..

While still looking at this problem there's a couple of points.

You could eliminate the complexity of having four different AU's by using a Midi switch instead of an Audio switch. This risks getting stuck notes. But if your working in an enviroment where you host your VST's AUs then you may need to do it this way. If still wanted to avoid stuck notes you could instead Channelize the outputs of the four mono notes so that your hosted VST synths could then listen to just one channel each. Also you would need to set up in your host some way to mute the output of the non active synths.. Maybe midi learn the outputs on the synth tracks using the same buttons you use for switching between the mono notes in Numerology..

This example is setup using the free Zebralette by u-he.com you can download it at their site, I think it's included in the Zebra Demo download.

Regards

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip ParallelToolv3.nmp.zip (35.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-11-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM

Not able to test this atm, but having to need more than 1 vsti is not really desired when you want to edit or automate the sounds.
And cpu wise.
Thanks for your efforts Wade, will test it when I get home.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Here is a new version where I added an additional stack with 4 mono notes going into a midi switch then into a single Zebralette instance.

It seems to work without stuck notes..

Regards

Wade
Attached Files
File Type: zip ParallelToolv4.nmp.zip (59.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.