Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Preset Breeding/Mutation

I have a DSI Evolver Desktop and the editing software has this really cool feature called preset mutate where you can select two different presets and it cross breeds them together or select one and it will mutate... then gives you a list of 128 different mutations that you can preview and then select the ones you would like to keep. It also has a long list of check boxes so that you can exclude certain parameters from the mutation. Its very cool and useful for coming up with some very unexpected stuff...
Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM

When talking about breeding and organic manipulation: have you seen SynPlant? Recommended!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
When talking about breeding and organic manipulation: have you seen SynPlant? Recommended!

Whoaaaa !
Thanks for the info Sjoerd, i didn't notice this Synth before.... and it's amazing !
Great Sound, Low Price, Low CPU, cool tutorial, very creative instrument .... Already a proud owner, it's payday today

Thanks again, i love it !

Charles.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Numerologist

Synplant is great

I find it useful to have Numerology trigger planting a new random seed and cloning a branch. But Synplant does not support this out of the box so I emailed Sonic Charge to request it, and the developer shared a trick to expose some additional MIDI hooks. My notes on enabling this are here:
http://compusition.com/web/articles/hacking-synplant

Have fun!
Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM

Groovy

Thanks for sharing this adamj, it's very cool.

One little question, What are the file extention for these 2 files ? I downloaded 2 ".txt" files ... Do they need to be different ?

best
charles
Old 06-19-2009, 07:08 AM

Charles, I think the extension has to be .cushy even though it's plain text format; if your browser added .txt on the end of the filename, just delete that part again.

Great post btw, Adam! Magnus' most excellent service - though rarely needed - once more reaffirms my confidence in recommending his products. :-)
And thumbs up for your COZY project, interesting stuff!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM

that's what I suspected, thanks sjoerd for this quick answer.

Charles.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Numerologist

Yup, Sjoerd is right. They are normal text files, but Synplant looks for files named .cushy. I added a note in the article to delete any .txt extension your browser adds when downloading.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 AM

Thanks for all guys, i didn't have time to go deeper with this Trick, it's soon holidays for me, i will have time to go in this genetic way of sound.
I just like to say that their Microtonic Drum Synth is also an amazing instrument, i've bought it too, it's trully amazing, i'm wondering how Magnus managed to make this quality without eating my CPU.

I want to bump this mutation fonctionality, i use OhmForce plugins, and one great feature of their plugins is that they all have presets mutation.
You can try it on their Free Frohmage filter, you can set the "mutation lenght" and the AU will mutate "in time" from your current preset to the new one, this can do amazing sound.

http://www.ohmforce.com/HomePage.do

I don't know why, but it reminds me the glide fonction of our fader/XY boxes.

A functionality like that on Numerology 's presets, with the numerology's way of thinking, this could be awesome.

Sorry for my awful english,
And nice Week end to all numerologists.

Best,
Charles.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 AM

Ah, I too love that mutation effect of the Ohmforce plug-ins. But I didn't know you can set its length manually. That's something I need to check out asap! Thanks :-)

Speaking about "preset inertia" I'd like to note that the French Logelloop has that and calls it "Interpolation". It is cool to set some interpolation when swapping between presets that use different panning (maybe over a surround system?) and different tuning of the audio streams. You can create massive "THX jingle style" chords by having audio stream through channels that slowly re-pitch between forming chords.
http://logelloop.logellou.com/en/Home.html

Interpolation does not make sense when for example moving into a preset that plays the same audio in reverse mode ;-)) so it has to be applied with some care.

Yes, that would be awesome to have in Numerology. "Preset Inertia" that can be disabled for some parameters if you don't want it applied to all of them. Or maybe it should be activated or disabled on a stack basis? I guess Jim can tell which would be the best with regard to coding.
soundcloud.com/pboy