Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
This one I'm a bit uncomfortable with. Apple's guidelines are pretty clear that the type of the file now resides with the extension, not with any internal file-type flags. I'm not saying I agree with that position, but I do understand why they chose it (compatibility w/ Linux and Windows files and filesystems). I'll make a note to look into it, but I would only do it if the file-reading code can reliably detect valid audio files w/o using the extension.
Many binary file formats have identifying header data at the beginning of the file, so reading this would be compatible with Linux and Windows files and filesystems (i.e. the magic value is in the file itself, not a separate resource). Wav files certainly have this, and AIFF files seem to have it also.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM

I have a few suggestions for the upcoming DrumKit V3 as well as to the Audio Sample module as the share many common ground.

1st. I would like to be able to assign a rotative encoder to the Next/Previous sample. This would allow users to scroll through the samples in real time within the respective folder just like in some hardware machines.

2nd. I would like to see implemented a freeze/render sample per slot. If I have lets say 3-5 AU per slot, thats a lot of cpu used if using all the 8 slots. simple solution (me thinks), a freeze button. the same would be applied to the Audio Sample. This is a very important feature because I would like to use heavy plugins like in reaktor and conv reverbs. because of the the nature of drum samples being usually short, the render/freeze would be super fast.

3rd. In the same way, i would like to be able to sample sounds/loops generated by modules, with the Audio Sample Module. Some plugins like Urs ACE are very demanding CPU wise. If all you want is a fixed sound over 8-16 or even 32 bar loop, the Samper could be connected to the synth output and sample it, allowing to bypass the synth and all the sequencers/modules for that stack.

4th. plugin delay compensation for the Drum Kit module. different plugins will create different latency within each channel/slot. so i guess it's a must.

cheers
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 PM

one more thought...

The way i see it the Audio Sample should be a power-sampler in the sense as it plays one shot samples, loops and rex files. Also it could sample anything inside N3. But at the same time keep it simple.
Now, what would be cool is the possibility to drag-n-drop a regular loop and split it in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and then export each part to a Drumkit module. in the case of 1/16 N3 automatically would allow to create 2 Drumkit consecutively.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSpeck View Post
1st. I would like to be able to assign a rotative encoder to the Next/Previous sample. This would allow users to scroll through the samples in real time within the respective folder just like in some hardware machines.
I can add buttons, but a knob isn't going to work. It takes time to load samples, and it can't safely be done on the render thread, so there will always be a few ms delay between choosing to load a sample and loading it. The knob makes the impression that the change is continuous, when it really isn't.

Quote:
2nd. I would like to see implemented a freeze/render sample per slot. If I have lets say 3-5 AU per slot, thats a lot of cpu used if using all the 8 slots. simple solution (me thinks), a freeze button. the same would be applied to the Audio Sample. This is a very important feature because I would like to use heavy plugins like in reaktor and conv reverbs. because of the the nature of drum samples being usually short, the render/freeze would be super fast.
Track freezing is a lot like bouncing: you render something (one track or many) at high-speed then play it back in-tempo. Not super-hard to do, but also not high on the priority list yet, other things have to come first.

Quote:
3rd. In the same way, i would like to be able to sample sounds/loops generated by modules, with the Audio Sample Module. Some plugins like Urs ACE are very demanding CPU wise. If all you want is a fixed sound over 8-16 or even 32 bar loop, the Samper could be connected to the synth output and sample it, allowing to bypass the synth and all the sequencers/modules for that stack.
Hmmm, live sampling, really one of my favorite things, but I'm not sure if there will be time for any of that or not.

Quote:
4th. plugin delay compensation for the Drum Kit module. different plugins will create different latency within each channel/slot. so i guess it's a must.
That is on my list...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The way i see it the Audio Sample should be a power-sampler in the sense as it plays one shot samples, loops and rex files. Also it could sample anything inside N3. But at the same time keep it simple.
Well, that is the trick, isn't it...

Quote:
Now, what would be cool is the possibility to drag-n-drop a regular loop and split it in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and then export each part to a Drumkit module. in the case of 1/16 N3 automatically would allow to create 2 Drumkit consecutively.
Loop slicing for the AudioSampler is definitely something I'm looking into, how to transport that to the DrumKit I'm not sure yet. Perhaps copy-n-paste..

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Hmmm, live sampling, really one of my favorite thing
All cool, but I'd like to add that some users find it exciting to sample live from an audio input. Having that feature with the Audio Sample modul in Numerology would be like nothing else out there on the market.
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 03-29-2010, 02:12 PM

I'd definitely love to see filter options and a way to transpose the pitch.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 PM

I think a parametric EQ + high/low shelf filter would be much more useful than a normal LP/BP/HP type multimode filter, as far as filtering options go... but I guess I already brought that up
Old 04-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
I think a parametric EQ + high/low shelf filter would be much more useful than a normal LP/BP/HP type multimode filter, as far as filtering options go... but I guess I already brought that up
There are individual outputs for all the DrumKit parts -- that's the beauty of a modular system: you can add the bits you want and route them the way you want. If you want Apple's PEQ, use that, if you want to use Uhbik, use that, if you want a reverb just on the snare, etc. etc. It isn't quite as convenient as a monolithic setup, but it is much more customizable.

I remember reading an article in EQ magazine a while back about a mixing engineer in Nashville who had something like 6 different reverbs setup on a big board, each one tweaked for a specific channel or subgroup...

Obviously there is some middle ground, some things are just so handy it really sucks to have to set them up each time. So I'm considering a filter in the DrumKit, but I haven't made any decisions yet.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM

an old thread, so not sure if you're even working on the drumkit anymore; but the one thing that i think would be super useful (and don't believe i saw it mentioned yet. i could be mistaken though) is some kind of zoom feature for each sample window. it would totally help make setting the start & stop points more precisely. a drag & zoom feature would be the most preferred method but even a X2, X4, X8, X16 zoom would work wonders.

drumkit is one of my most used and other than a zoom (and sample banks which i believe were already mentioned), i think it's perfect.