Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Sequencer with different lengths for gate/velocity/duration, etc

I emphasize that I'm just slowly getting back into software again, and don't feel 'comfortable' with Numerology like I used to a few years ago yet.

so, I might be missing something.

But it seems to me like it would be way more efficient if there were a sequencer module where you could set different lengths for the note/gate/velocity - in fact all repeating patterns. Why have to create a bunch of other modules, and link them etc - I really like to set up these patterns to be of different lengths, and it just seems to me that it's somewhat of a pain to do compared to what it would be if one module could do it.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:41 AM

You might have missed the mono/polynote-modules?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lut lei View Post
You might have missed the mono/polynote-modules?
I've been using the mononote module - but it's my impression that the velocity pattern is the same # of steps as the note pattern, etc. I'm not seeing a way to change that. I'll have to check the manual, I guess, but I don't remember seeing that possibility in there.

Edit - just glanced through mononote docs, and there seems to be only an overall sequence length - how would you make the note pattern say, 16 steps, but the velocity pattern 9 steps?

Last edited by droolmaster0; 06-09-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Sorry. I misunderstood.

Now building what you want to do with several modules linked together, may be cumbersome, but that is also what makes it so flexible. There is no mononote in Numerology 1, if I remember correctly, and I used to start each session by dropping in a couple of gates, a pitch and a velocity module.

Nowadays I probably more often start with a mononote. It is fast and convenient, but when my stacks evolve, I need to put in some CV-modules here and there. And that is the beauty of it. Since each of these modules have a lot of parameters, they can be used in so many ways. While a "macro"-module like the mononote, is very convenient, it is also limited to a certain degree, depending on what you want to do.

I sure wish there was a way to make your own "macro"-modules or group of modules, but I guess that is the way we should think of a stack. You could make yourself a custom set of stacks, and then import one when needed. It is not as fast as inserting a mononote, but it is in fact faster than building things from scratch each time.

And this is an area we will see vastly improved in Numerology 3.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM

I understand the flexibility of building a patch with several modules. But that flexibility would still be there if there were, say, a mononote version that gave you independent sequence lengths for the individual components - you could still add modules for the additional functionality that you want.

Quote:
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Now building what you want to do with several modules linked together, may be cumbersome, but that is also what makes it so flexible. There is no mononote in Numerology 1, if I remember correctly, and I used to start each session by dropping in a couple of gates, a pitch and a velocity module.

Nowadays I probably more often start with a mononote. It is fast and convenient, but when my stacks evolve, I need to put in some CV-modules here and there. And that is the beauty of it. Since each of these modules have a lot of parameters, they can be used in so many ways. While a "macro"-module like the mononote, is very convenient, it is also limited to a certain degree, depending on what you want to do.

I sure wish there was a way to make your own "macro"-modules or group of modules, but I guess that is the way we should think of a stack. You could make yourself a custom set of stacks, and then import one when needed. It is not as fast as inserting a mononote, but it is in fact faster than building things from scratch each time.

And this is an area we will see vastly improved in Numerology 3.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM

After thinking about it, It could be a cool addition to the mononote module. Very handy when thinking about in the forthcoming mononoteAU perspective.

edit: Only after the last post I saw that it was in "Feature Requests"-forum. I shouldn´t discuss it as this

Last edited by lut lei; 06-09-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: ps
Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
After thinking about it, It could be a cool addition to the mononote module. Very handy when thinking about in the forthcoming mononoteAU perspective.

edit: Only after the last post I saw that it was in "Feature Requests"-forum. I shouldn´t discuss it as this

Well, in any case - a module like this would be hugely appreciated by me. I don't know if anyone else works this way.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Administrator

If you want to work with cv sequences of different lengths (or rates or directions, or ...), use the individual CV sequencing modules, that's why they are there. The MonoNote serves a different purpose altogether -- think 'phrase manipulation' instead of 'discrete sequencing'. Trying to add multiple lengths to the *thirteen* individual sequence vectors in the MonoNote would be a usability nightmare. As lut lei recommends, build yourself a library of template stacks and import them as you need them. The stack library in 3.0 is built exactly for that purpose.

Also, if all you need is to mix up the accent a bit, you can add a VelocitySeq ahead of a MonoNote, and route its output into the "velocity in" of the MonoNote.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Right - I understand how that all works. I want this capability within one module. Yeah - one can make template stacks, but I still think it's easier and more efficient to have/view/edit one module that does all of this. I don't see a single reason why it's more functional to NEED multiple modules for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
If you want to work with cv sequences of different lengths (or rates or directions, or ...), use the individual CV sequencing modules, that's why they are there. The MonoNote serves a different purpose altogether -- think 'phrase manipulation' instead of 'discrete sequencing'. Trying to add multiple lengths to the *thirteen* individual sequence vectors in the MonoNote would be a usability nightmare. As lut lei recommends, build yourself a library of template stacks and import them as you need them. The stack library in 3.0 is built exactly for that purpose.

Also, if all you need is to mix up the accent a bit, you can add a VelocitySeq ahead of a MonoNote, and route its output into the "velocity in" of the MonoNote.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
Right - I understand how that all works. I want this capability within one module. Yeah - one can make template stacks, but I still think it's easier and more efficient to have/view/edit one module that does all of this. I don't see a single reason why it's more functional to NEED multiple modules for this.
It basically boils down to two things:

1. There is no way to anticipate which combinations of features are going to be the most interesting or useful. What seems obvious and useful to you isn't necessary useful or interesting to someone else. For instance, I'm just as interested in having several pitch sequencers as in having pitch/gate sequences with different lengths.

2. Trying to pack too many features into a single module makes it difficult to design, confusing to use, more prone to bugs, etc. Some folks call it "feature-itis" -- when the addition of new things invariably makes it more difficult to perform common tasks.

The whole point of a modular system is to break functions down into manageable, easily learnable components, then allow users to put them together as they see fit -- that is a big part of how discovery happens, in the putting together.

In a purist approach, the big note sequencers would not exist at all, as they are invariably a compromise, an attempt to combine the most-used features into something that is easy to learn and quick to use. I find them extremely useful, and a nice way to work (as mentioned before, a 'phrase' based approach to sequencing), but they do not replace the component modules.

Jim