Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupler View Post
in mavericks you will be able to run Numerology 4 as a MIDI plugin in Logic Pro X, so there's that. As long as Jim declares the AU as a MIDI processor, which is a new type for 10.9 . no need for rewire!
until logic update comes out that's sandboxed and breaks all AUs (and more!) requiring rewrites. yay! you ready for app store only purchases and an abstracted file system that the user can't access?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...r=asc&start=30
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
until logic update comes out that's sandboxed and breaks all AUs (and more!) requiring rewrites. yay! you ready for app store only purchases and an abstracted file system that the user can't access?

I think the folks on the thread are correct in complaining about the amount of extra work required to sandbox, but they perhaps overdo complaints about actual capabilities. My two biggest technical concerns do look to be resolvable (access to the ~/Music directory and the network) -- which I'm guessing is pretty much inline with the concerns of most other devs. But Apple's doc is pretty dry and annoying to read through ("You can't see hardly anything", "well you can see a few things", "Well if you ask the user, you can see and do more things"). And there is little help from the Core Audio team in terms of directly addressing the obvious concerns (read/write access to file directories, network access, etc). Considering the number of plugin formats (VST2, VST3, AU, AAX, RTAS, Rack Extensions, etc) times the number of hosts (Live, DP, Logic, Cubase, ProTools, Studio One, Reaper, Bidule, AudioMulch, etc.) times two major platforms (Mac, Windows), they could really do a much better job of helping us along.

Jim
Old 11-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
BTW: Thanks for the link -- I should really troll KVR more often...

Jim
Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
BTW: Thanks for the link -- I should really troll KVR more often...

Jim
sure. it's the most interesting thing i've read there because of the involvement of the devs. some of it is certainly over my head and obviously something i don't have to confront as a user but the jist of it i can absorb and i find it disheartening and it makes me yearn for a pro OS that is streamlined and free of all the nonsense
Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
it makes me yearn for a pro OS that is streamlined and free of all the nonsense
Yep, me too. I only want two features - secure internet and functional music making.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM

I have had a few more issues with Mavericks since. Mainly with specific plugins misbehaving (Melda plugs with analysis windows don't seem to be working as they should for example).

Aside from that i'm still pretty happy with the optimisations though I still have a Snow Leopard install which will stay that way (for Rosetta) and i'm not updating my Windows tablet to 8.1 until I know it will still run all the old XP software i'm successfully running in 8.

Can't wait to try out N4!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:

sandboxed applications have full access to the HDD, just with the user instigated it (i.e an open/save dialog box etc). not sure what you are talking about. code signing an AU doesn't "require a rewrite" either. takes about 10 minutes.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupler View Post
sandboxed applications have full access to the HDD, just with the user instigated it (i.e an open/save dialog box etc).
Many plugins (Numerology included) need access to specific folders (visible across applications) for sample/preset libs of various types on a long-term background read/write schedule -- a use case not covered by an open or save dialog. After reading the sandbox doc (for about an hour) I was able to confirm that sandboxed apps can indeed request and gain persistent access to directories (by specifically asking), so more-or-less problem solved. But clearly the message isn't getting out -- there is fear, there is confusion, thus all the drama on KVR.

Jim

Last edited by jim; 11-07-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Many plugins (Numerology included) need access to specific folders (visible across applications) for sample/preset libs of various types on a long-term background read/write schedule -- a use case not covered by an open or save dialog. After reading the sandbox doc (for about an hour) I was able to confirm that sandboxed apps can indeed request and gain persistent access to directories (by specifically asking), so more-or-less problem solved. But clearly the message isn't getting out -- there is fear, there is confusion, thus all the drama on KVR.

Jim
i do hope it's as simple as you say. really do. based on comments from other devs it sounds a bit more complicated to work around and some say it will require separate authorization per sandboxed host.. so if all hosts get sandboxed (god forbid) then each plug in will have to be authorized for that host..

idk coding obviously and all but the basic concepts are over my head. i know devs have a lot to deal with anytime apple makes changes.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...4851&start=165

Tags
10.9, mac osx, maverics